Viking Conquest Mods for the latest versions (2.054-2.059)

Users who are viewing this thread

Tingyun

Knight at Arms
VC 2.054-2.059 mods

Compilation Mods
1) Blood Eagle 4.2 is a comprehensive mod that integrates VC Balance Mod 13.0, Armor Mod for Viking Conquest, several submods, and a range of graphical changes
2) VC Balance Mod 13 + Armor Mod is a comprehensive mod that integrates VC Balance Mod 13.0, Armor Mod for Viking Conquest, several submods, and a range of graphical changes

Large Gameplay Mods
1) VC Balance Mod 13.0 is a comprehensive gameplay mod including visual modifications by Kauna (shields, banners, ships) and Charles de Tonkin (swords and armor), as well as contributions from EvilSquid (gameplay), Philippe at Bay (location names), Ale (throwing axes and horses), and Brujoloco (banners and sails).

Large Visual Mods
1) Armor Mod for Viking Conquest is a graphical overhaul built for compatibility with VC Balance Mod 13.0 and developed in the submods channel at Discord.
2) Dark Age 867AD is a graphical overhaul that also includes a set of gameplay tweaks

Modding Tools
1) VC Tweaks Tool 1.2 is a resource for learning modding and tweaking rules. Note: Tweaks Tool 1.2 is built for 2.036, and is an exception to this list's exclusive focus on 2.054, as it is also a modding tool. Bug fixes from the last several versions of VC can be manually merged in by modders using winmerge.

Small Gameplay Mods
1) Realistic Troops and Items Reworked is a troops/items submod of VC Balance Mod 12.0.
2) Viking Conquest Improved is a set of changes to a few game rules.

Small Visual Mods
1) Kauna's Shields and Banners is a small visual mod originally made for VC Balance Mod 13.0 and hosted in the submods channel at Discord.
2) Kauna's Ship Hulls and Finishes is a small visual mod originally made for VC Balance Mod 13.0 and hosted in the submods channel at Discord.
3) Enhanced Shield Patterns is a small visual mod for shield textures.
4) Rustic Items Retexture is a small visual mod for item textures.
5) Brujoloco's VC Banners is a set of beautiful banners from Brujoloco

Mods in Development
1) Good Soil, Bad Land is a graphical overhaul currently under development for VC Balance Mod 13.0 and hosted in the submods channel at Discord.
2) Chronicles of Dark Ages is a conversion to the time of the Norman conquest being built using VC Balance Mod 12.0.
3) Jutland is a gameplay mod being built using VC Balance Mod 11.0.

Beta Releases
1) Patch 4 for VC Balance Mod 13.0 is available in the downloads channel at Discord.

VC mods taleworlds forum
VC mods at ModDB
VC mods at Nexus

Last edited:
...This is another link:...
modlist_logo.png

ciauz^^,
Jab

Awesome, that's a nice list!

Though it occurs to me some warning is in order--most VC mods listed there are for prior versions of VC. While often with Warband it's completely fine to use a mod made for a prior version, with Viking Conquest doing so is more risky. Even if the mod starts, and no specific glitches arise from the mismatch, in the best case scenario you will still often be overwriting many improvements and fixes the Viking Conquest developers have made in the later patches, and 2.049, 2.050, and 2.054 have all included a ton of wonderful changes from the VC devs.

I'll add a list of current 2.054 compatible mods to my first post in an edit, to help people identify them, and write a little blurb for each describing it.

Awesome, that's a nice list!

Though it occurs to me some warning is in order--most VC mods listed there are for prior versions of VC. While often with Warband it's completely fine to use a mod made for a prior version, with Viking Conquest doing so is more risky. Even if the mod starts, and no specific glitches arise from the mismatch, in the best case scenario you will still often be overwriting many improvements and fixes the Viking Conquest developers have made in the later patches, and 2.049, 2.050, and 2.054 have all included a ton of wonderful changes from the VC devs.

I'll add a list of current 2.054 compatible mods to my first post in an edit, to help people identify them, and write a little blurb for each describing it.
...You're right, that's why @Darwin add the "Game version" column on the list, so that everyone who look at it can easily understand if he can run the mod or not...
...this should also be included on Nexus and ModDB but currently does not exist...

ciauz^^,
Jab

It’s a great website! But for VC mods my concern was a product of the list being sorted alphabetically and there being far more outdated VC mods than current ones. Many users aren’t going to open the filters tab and type in 2.054, nor exhaustively scan the list start to finish, partially because of limited attention and/or paralysis of choice, and partially because it won’t be clear to many users what they lose when they install an older VC mod—many seem to think if they install it and the game boots up, then it’s no problem, and don’t realize they’ve just undid two years worth of the VC devs improvements and fixes. Essentially, it’s not like Warband, where most mods are creating an alternate experience, instead in VC most mods are trying to improve an essentially vanilla VC experience with some tweaks and additions, and so the relative cost/benefit of installing an outdated mod, and so losing out on all the work the VC devs have done and improvements made in the last several VC patches, is much higher. I emailed him to suggest switching the VC list from alphabetical sorting to version number, but either way it’s a nice service he does for the community by maintaining it.

Last edited:
Looking for testers interested in playing and giving feedback on an advance version of Balance Mod 13.0 (available for download on the Discord: https://discord.gg/b5ddSHK ). Some highlights from the changelog:

Unique bodyguards recruited by some 40 lords (Harald Fairhair gets his berserkers from the sagas, Alfred the Great gets some of the reworked infantry old captain, many norse lords get vikingr from their place of origin, etc)

Troll Height enabled for players as a character creation option (male and female)

Tournaments reworked (each of the 21 factions has a unique weapon loadout creating a different tactical experience and reflecting cultural tendencies, 50 tournament reward prizes including some artifacts newly added to the game and unobtainable elsewhere, very rare chance of a visit from one of 4 deities (Odin, Freyja, Loki, Thor) after a victory giving a bonus)

Many new troops added and lines expanded:

- Frisians get 5 new units, including infantry using the newly added Frankish throwing axes, and cavalry riding Frankish Stallions in their final upgrade (2 new models, a tad slower but stronger in charge normal mounts) (basically having the Frisians adopt a little Frankish military influence to introduce added variety in troops).

- Britons get tier 4 and 5 elite cavalry to go along with some general strengthening of the line (Briton military weakness is now reflected in the AI troop recruiting tables, not the units themselves, leaving the Briton player the chance to revive their glory without feeling like they are using subpar units).

- Norse troops can now “go viking” and upgrade to vikingr at points (increases the ship sailing speed boost and comes with more immediate power at cost of higher wages and less long term potential), with an integrated line including berserkers and ulfhedinns (reworked to differentiate between the two) and ship captains (now with a special x4 ship speed bonus), and full line of warrior archers (old norse warrior archers gets a tier 3 lesser version underneath, and two tier 5 upgrades taking different paths), along with a tier 5 upgrade added to the tier 4 dane axe warrior.

- Swedish troop tree introduced (accessible through mercs/vikingr only), including a final upgrade possibility to Varangian mercenaries (ie, Swedish from Kievan Rus) riding 2 new horse models of large ponies/stocky horses (more maneuverable and tougher than normal horses, but a little slower). Varangians very rarely show up in mercenary pools in Norway and Denmark only. Somewhat inspired by the Varangian Guard forming in the Byzantine empire around this time (if Varangians went south to become mercs, why not west as well) and borrowing from later records of how Kievan Rus military often worked (elite mounted bodyguard supported by local levies)

- Newly added Danish and Norwegian mercs appearing in taverns throughout map. Vikingr are sometimes also available for hire in Norway and Denmark (local warriors looking for a captain, and helps balance the previously added polarized religions by allowing pagan players to have stronger recruiting in the home regions of Denmark and Norway).

- Female warrior line increased in strength greatly by addition of tier 4 and 5 units. Equipment and appearances reworked to be a mixture of all cultures rather than anglo/saxon focused (since they are player only and can be recruited from any location).

- Irish get a tier 5 sword/javelin skirmisher and a new tier 4 warrior inserted before the champion, upgrading the champion and pushing them out to join their mounted bodyguards as branching tier 5 options. Picts get a tier 5 crossbowmen and their special hornmen at tier 3 upgraded to be better javelin skirmishers, and then the standard bearer moved to be an upgrade to the hornmen.

- Saxons get some chance of mail armor at tier 4, and new tier 4 and 5 long axe wielding (1.5 handed) troops for breaking shields (lower wages and faster upgrades than normal bodyguards).

- Angles get some chance of mail armor at tier 4, and new tier 4 Northumbrian Mercenaries and tier 5 Captains (very skilled spearmen, but very expensive, as they are mercenaries, and somewhat worse armor than mainline spearmen), representing the disarray in the area and displaced warriors, and harkening back to anglo saxon mercenary past in arrival in Britain.

Last edited:
List Updated!

3 new mods join the list, congratulations to the modders!

Armor Mod for Viking Conquest is a graphical overhaul being actively developed in VC Balance Mod's submods channel. (congratulations Ale!)
Kauna's Shields and Banners is a small visual mod originally made for VC Balance Mod and hosted in the submods channel. (great work Kauna!)
Kauna's Ship Hulls and Finishes is a small visual mod originally made for VC Balance Mod and hosted in the submods channel. (again Kauna!)

1 mod got a new version:

VC Balance Mod 13.0 is a comprehensive gameplay mod including visual modifications by Kauna (shields, banners, ships), and contributions from EvilSquid (gameplay), Philippe at Bay (location names), Ale (throwing axes and horses), Muirhied (multiplayer), and Brujoloco (banners and sails).

I also improved the organization and descriptions in the list, and removed a 2.050 mod that I had mistakenly included, as well as another that was more of a single tweak than a mod.

Updates to several mods!

Ale updated his new armor mod, and started a Taleworlds thread: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/armor-mod-for-viking-conquest.428986/

VC Balance Mod 13 released Patch 1 (100% Save Compatible) to the Discord: https://discord.gg/b5ddSHK (The main change is an expansion to the new scripted invasions introduced in Balance Mod 13.0 (with Patch 1 each of the 4 invasions now has 3 potential targets, so Frankish invasions can occur in Frisia, Wessex, and Denmark, Swedish invasions can occur in Norway, Denmark, and Alba, etc). Patch 1 also boosts player recruiting (especially when recruiting in the player's own fief), and makes some adjustments to bandit behavior.)

Patch 3 for Balance Mod 13 uploaded to Discord ! 100% save compatible. Some general fixes and improvements, but the biggest change is adding new swords designed by Charles de Tonkin, including some unique swords added as quest rewards.

Hey @Tingyun , I was finding myself missing some of the features from VC while playing bannerlord, so I am taking a break and doing a VC campaign. I'm remembering that the thing that annoys me the most about VC is just how slow and grindy it is to get the troops to level up to the next tier. I have always found in VC, most of my higher level troops end up coming from rescues or prisoners. Is there a mod that increases the rate at which they are ready to upgrade? I saw one troop mod on the list, but it is more about refitting those units it seems.

Hi @NLCRich

VC Balance Mod does increase the rate at which troops gain combat XP dramatically (about 3x vanilla VC levels), but it slows down passive training as well as direct acquisition of high level troops a bit to compensate. The idea being not to speed up leveling overall, but make combat leveling more competitive with passive training.

The leveling speed setting in the VC game options may end up achieving this for you though--if you set it to "beginner" leveling, then troops will require very little xp to upgrade.

You could also open module.ini in a text editor and change the troop combat XP multiplier to a higher amount, that would increase combat xp gained by troops.

Hi @NLCRich

VC Balance Mod does increase the rate at which troops gain combat XP dramatically (about 3x vanilla VC levels), but it slows down passive training as well as direct acquisition of high level troops a bit to compensate. The idea being not to speed up leveling overall, but make combat leveling more competitive with passive training.

The leveling speed setting in the VC game options may end up achieving this for you though--if you set it to "beginner" leveling, then troops will require very little xp to upgrade.

You could also open module.ini in a text editor and change the troop combat XP multiplier to a higher amount, that would increase combat xp gained by troops.

Awesome, thanks so much for the advice! I did find the option in the game options and changed it. I can work with it now. It's still slower than bannerlord though even on the beginner level, lol. But then there are more tiers in BL. The VC balance mod sounds interesting though for other reasons. I may give that a try.

@ Tingyun, seems there is a minor bug with v.13 during character creation when you choose merchant, commerce & traveler. When it goes to points distribution screen you are unable to distribute weapon points which means you cannot proceed past that screen and have to quit to desktop.

It only appears, from my brief testing, to be an issue with the traveler option. For example merchant, commerce, landowner works fine.

In regard to v.13 it's really tough. There's much you changed from previous versions that I utterly dislike, mainly because of the new difficulty added by those changes. In particular how many bandit parties no longer attack which can be a real grind especially early game when you have to chase them down on the battle map. I'm thinking ruffians, brigands and bandits here.

Overall v.13 is very good. I would ask what historical evidence you are basing the norse super archers on? To me they seem more fantasy than fiction. Just curious.

@Dirty Norseman

In general best to ask these questions in the Balance Mod thread--this thread is for discussing VC mods. It's good to hear from you though!

On character creation: Put a point in Weapon Master skill :wink: I did go ahead and force all backgrounds to give 1 point in weapon master for the next version, which will be released on discord at some point, as you aren't the only person to get confused by this, but it's just the normal warband mechanic, same reason you can't raise WP after leveling if Weapon Master isn't high enough.

On bandits: They accurately judge player party strength now. You were used to them underestimating the value of elite units, as the formulas for party strength did not account for how powerful high tier units were. So you miss bandits stupidly thinking they can overpower your elite army, but they never should have thought that. Also, fixing that formula fixed: autocalc, siege events (ie elite units die far less now), AI vs AI battles, renown after battle, and countless other mechanics.

On Norse archers: You mean the tier 5 upgrade? First, Norse archers were weakened overall in v13--because I took the Norse Warrior Archer, which in vanilla VC and earlier Balance Mod versions was a tier 4 unit that could be upgraded directly from tier 2 (ie, lvl 26), and instead created a unit beneath it, meaning Norse no longer get lightning fast upgrades to tier 4 archers.

I did also create tier 5 units to be upgraded to in many troop trees--Irish skirmishers, Pict crossbowmen, Briton cavalry, Norse archers, etc. These units are intentionally not recruited by AI lords except as part of a few select lords' unique bodyguards (a new mechanic added in v13), rendering them largely player only units. In that sense, they reflect "what ifs" about how a player might take a certain culture's advantages and start to explore exploiting them, or, as the occasional AI upgrades, the natural effect of certain elite and heroic individuals.

If you instead mean that Norse have an advantage in archery in this period, that's fairly well documented, and reflects vanilla VC as well. The Welsh archers and such are several centuries away.

If you'd like to discuss further, please put any replies in the VC Balance Mod thread here in the VC mods forum, or at the Hooded Horse Discord. I'd like to keep this thread about VC mods in general rather than my own stuff.

Discord might be best--I'm absolutely swamped with work on Terra Invicta's Kickstarter campaign, which is currently ongoing (Hooded Horse is the publisher for Terra Invicta), but there are several players in the Discord there (as well as several VC modders, the submodding forum has exploded into activity with lots of people taking up VC modding) who can answer questions very quickly. It's also a great place to hang out for VC discussion, with over 500 members and growing fast.

Any mod that allows to create more than one village and castle?

There are no mods for VC that involve creating villages or castles. You can create a refuge in VC, but it is not an economic center, instead it is a place to store troops and offer certain services useful to the player. Villages/castles/towns are abstracted representations of the economy of tens of thousands of people living in scattered settlements throughout the surrounding area, so it’s a little hard to conceive of new ones being built freely. I have discussed a possible system for “reviving” ruins in certain locations of the map, but it hasn’t gone past initial idea stage.

At any rate, if you were interested in modding in town building as a player option, I believe the Age of Arthur mod has released its source code and includes town building.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom