SP B Serf of Balion

Users who are viewing this thread

Complete overhaul mod and sequel to Lords of Calradia.

Features:

- New map: The map will be of Balion, the land where the Vlandians originate. The map will be much smaller than Calradia, but I plan to make it far richer and deeper.

- New Items: Western European / Vlandian inspired weapons and armor.

- Fiefdoms the land will be divided into fiefs that contain a central town with supporting villages. Castles can be constructed to protect ownership of the fief, and only one Lord will have entire ownership of the fief.
- Fiefs will have a population, and a
recruitable population. The owner has complete control over this levy, the taxes, Lord lands (demense), a treasury of gold and goods, giving true power and wealth to the owner of the fief.

- Title system: As the title of the mod foreshadows the player will start as a serf but the player can choose to take any path and progression does not have to be linear.
Titles simply help to determine how NPCs react to the player and other NPCs in the world. As a serf asking to recruit troops from a Lord would be rejected, however you could choose to join the Lords army, rise through the ranks and become a knight, as a knight you could ask to form your own party and then recruit troops from friendly Lords, if they can spare any.

-Title paths: You can choose to remain a serf and perform various actions in the village, eg. Helping other villagers with problems or performing manual labor. (Note: all tedious actions like manual labor can be simulated and several hours will be quickly fast forwarded on the main map)

Rather than be a serf you can choose to join a craft or become an apprentice, join an army as a recruit, join a trading guild, become an outlaw, or join the manhunters order etc..
Each occupation will have daily optional activities like military training if you are part of an army. You can also help other notable npcs with any issues they have as long as your title doesnt impede with the quest. Your title may also determine what role you play in the quest.
Wars and battles will be far more rare and much more significant compared to native so fun and engaging activities such as diverse training activities, and various tiered tornaments, will be essential.

- Depth: Overall the main goal of the mod. NPCs will approach the Player and have long term goals and will try to manipulate the player and other NPCs in order to accomplish their goals.

- Stuff from LOC: if you've played my mod Lords of Calradia you can get a small taste of what my vision for Serf of Balion is going to be.

- Books: Books to read to increase skills. Also the player may be able to write books if they're a highly educated character not 100% decided.

Feel free to ask me questions.

New and varied Vlandian type armor and items will probably be my biggest need for this project, I'll be doing the map and all of the code.

Last edited:
In the year 1140, many thousands leave the land of Balion. The cities are crowded and the people, restless and divided. Some are soldiers headed for the ports to make sail for Calradia. Taking up the call to fight for Swadia against stubborn rebels led by a General Grunwalder. Many others are simple peasants without prospects for advancement or land to buy, so they turn to foreign lands for a chance at a better life.
You grew up in the village of (players choice), raised by a single guardian your (PC). You spent your early life performing (PC) in the village.
1140 has been an unforgiving year. After the great migration a plague set in. The crowded and unsanitary conditions of the cities were no doubt the cause.
Your (guardian) passed away from this terrible pestilence, several days before your 18th birthday nonetheless. The village reeve saw fit to pass all of your (guardians) belongings down to you, including the cottage.

This is my rough draft for a little lore and the starting choices for the player. You can pick the village you start in and some starting skills, but most games begin roughly the same. You're a poor cottager with few personal belongings or skills, but you have a ton of options and directions that you can take.

Last edited:
This looks quite promising.

- New map: The map will be of Balion, the land where the Vlandians originate. The map will be much smaller than Calradia, but I plan to make it far richer and deeper.

I actually really appreciate this. I never understood why people liked bigger maps when late game it gets repetitive and boring. This sounds way better and contained.

This looks quite promising.

I actually really appreciate this. I never understood why people liked bigger maps when late game it gets repetitive and boring. This sounds way better and contained.
Thanks, I hope to create a setting where the player has many meaningful options, and activities to choose from.
So you arent just grinding fights. It will also be difficult to just grind fights because of the way population, diplomacy, and availability work.

Seems very ambitious, but if you pull it off it would be really impressive. I especially like the population system with peasants, nobles etc. and the title system. Also the fact that you aren't constantly fighting, like now in native. More realistic medieval life would be very cool. Reminds me of Nova Aetas a little bit too.

You should also consider having a version of this mod without the map, since bannerlord can now use multiple mods, some might like these features, armors etc. you are adding on the original map.

Good luck, I hope you succeed.

Thanks, I have a feeling that this mod will not be compatible with native, but I'll be modding in chunks so I might release the pieces that are compatible separate so people can add them to their native experience.

So, I put this thread on watched while I checked out Lords of Calradia, at first, I was pretty lost, I didn't really understand that both Peasants and Levies were both pulled out from fiefs but after receiving my first village, it became much more clear. It's much more about resource acquisition and I feel, to some extent, it's more roleplaying. I really enjoyed the side missions that you found when walking around different villages/castles/towns, it added much more depth.

I reckon you did a great job on Lords of Calradia, I do believe that Serf of Balion could be even better if given the time. Bannerlord runs on a much more open engine and I believe that mod creators will be able to explore different paths, I just can't wait to see what Serf of Balion can bring, I've really been looking forward to something like this!

So, I put this thread on watched while I checked out Lords of Calradia, at first, I was pretty lost, I didn't really understand that both Peasants and Levies were both pulled out from fiefs but after receiving my first village, it became much more clear. It's much more about resource acquisition and I feel, to some extent, it's more roleplaying. I really enjoyed the side missions that you found when walking around different villages/castles/towns, it added much more depth.

I reckon you did a great job on Lords of Calradia, I do believe that Serf of Balion could be even better if given the time. Bannerlord runs on a much more open engine and I believe that mod creators will be able to explore different paths, I just can't wait to see what Serf of Balion can bring, I've really been looking forward to something like this!
Thanks for your post! I'm hoping to make a lot more content for Serf of Balion. The title system will be great for RP and creating good responses/dialogue with NPCs.

A simplified nobility system for ease of coding and NPC interaction, doesn't correspond to any historical society but is influenced by them.

Towns represent an entire province and controls the manors/counties that reside in them.

Manors represent a county and the villages there in. On the main map a manor is a single entity or village.

Titles of Nobility

Monarch: Owns at least one town and is a vassal to no one. Collects rents from any dukes in their realm.

Duke/Duchess: Owner of a town, vassal to a monarch. Collects rents from the manors/counties and their corresponding counts.

Counts owner of a county aka manor. Collects rents from the corresponding Barons.

Baron, owners of "villages" within a county, these villages do not have their own map icons but reside within the county under control of the main manor house. Collects rents from villagers. Mainly virgaters or land owners.

Knights, Lords without land titles but that have the right to lead war parties, could still own land in the same way that a virgater does. Can be a paid retainer for any of the above nobles.

End of nobles

Virgater, a land owning peasant. Pays rents to the Baron and works or pays serfs to work the land, and it's corresponding agricultural product. Must be a resident.

Shop Owner, an owner of a town enterprise. Must be a resident.

Craftsmen any of the many producers of finished goods in Balion. Work in shops

Serfs any of the many gatherers of raw materials in Balion. Work in villages

Last edited:
Me messing around with the scene editor. I'm making the players cottage where they will be able to store stuff etc.

U28VH.png

Nice! I hope that they'll release better C# support as well to make coding mods closer to best practices in software development.

Very excited to your mod. the lords of Calradia was in the list of my favorite mods in warband i like the deep recruitment system and the extended fiefs management including the population system. i can`t wait to test and play Serf of Balion!!!.

Back
Top Bottom