SP - Player, NPCs & Troops A new concept about the look and equipment of armies recruited from conquered settlements

Users who are viewing this thread

hi everyone ,
i know a lot of people dislike the fact that when we recruit from a conquered village or town we recruit troops that look and use the equipment of the enemy
I have a concept that might change that behavior and still give you some diversity while maintaining the unified look and feel of the army

First i suggest that each town/ village have a variable that tells you when it was conquered and it will only change its culture to allow you to recruit normal troops from your culture after a certain time has passed (lets say a year in game time as it is a actually a game)

now you add a new type of troop for each empire that will only reach from tier 1 to tier 3 this will be the Auxiliary this troops should have the same uniform and weapons as normal troops from the same tier of the same culture but they could have some added elements from the original culture (like bearskin robes or something like that)
as long as that settlement is not fully merged into the empire you would only be able to recruit this Auxiliary troops , if the original culture conquers the settlement back before it is fully integrated into the new empire it will revert into being a normal settlement for the original culture

in addition the Auxiliary forces will still generate faces from the original culture (until the settlement is integrated)

You could keep a list for each party of the amount of Auxiliary recruited from each culture and generate the faces in the auxiliary according to those percentages

If for instance you are the empire and you recruited forces from a conquered vlandian and Aserai village , the total amount of auxiliary in your army is 10 and 6 are vlandians
The list will look something like this (array , list ,struct)
Vlandian : 60
Aserai : 40
Battanian : 0
etc'
you will generate 60% Vlandian faces and 40% Aserai faces for the auxiliary troops

You update this list after each recruitment , you update the type of faces according to the original culture

To sum it up , Auxiliary forces from conquered settlements will have similar equipment to that of the tier 1-3 troops from the new culture with minor variety like capes or hats from the original culture they will be a unique troop type not upgradeable to the tier 4 and up of the new culture
When the conquered settlement is fully integrated within a certain amount of time you will be able to recruit regular soldiers from the new culture
if it is conquered back by the original culture it will revert back to being a normal settlement for the original culture faces for auxiliary forces will still be generated from the culture they came from based on the relative amount of troops from that culture (see the list above)

What do you think ?

Last edited:
It is an idea that has long been raised by fans; however I rule out that such a deep mechanism may be implemented by Taleworlds.

Honestly, I think it would be a great idea if such factors were present:

- Auxiliar Troop tree reduced to 3 tiers x6 factions.

- Mixed equipment (the problem is that more 3d assets would be needed to complement it and that's always a problem with Taleworlds) This reddit thread captured it (but I like the idea of a separate tier 1-3 better)

8jbtnysboez41.png

- Assimilation by conquest (option to be activated at the beginning of each new campaign) something very similar to what this mod offers:Culture Changer

552-1586937941-2005506525.png

I get what you are saying but they are at that stage where they are still adding Armor and equipment every now and then , so its still a possibility , getting them to add content once the game is released , thats the real problem
as a modder myself i get that we can probably eventually make it ourselves but in my opinion this is something tale worlds should really consider as it is a mechanic that was not available in M&B and M&B Warband and it makes the game much more interesting

As for the mod , the idea is nice but its not really what i suggest , we had similar mods in warband ( i even made some changes similar to this for my brother and me) and it was ok but there is something strange about taking over a settlement and all of a sudden its your culture ,the game mechanic i am proposing is more interesting ,adds diversity and does not really require a lot of new equipment , an assortment of the old equipment over the current design of tier 1-3 troops will do (obviously as separate troops you can't upgrade beyond tier 3 with)
and i can see you agree with me , the question is , how do we get the DEVs to at least examine the idea

P.s i was not familiar with that thread from redit but it goes to show you that others in the community want something like this as well
And yes the way the imperial legionary appears in the pictures above is similar to my idea in terms of the variants you get when you recruit from conquered villages (only my idea does not include a legionary :smile: )
The more i think about it the more feasible it seems to me , its not that much of an investment to make it work in my opinion

I don't think the idea of adding all these new troops would work out well. As much fun as it is and as good as they do look, the amount of troops you'll have to sort through would be more of a headache.

And personally, I don't want it. Doesn't really make sense either. You can't just change the culture of a population within the time frame of your average M&B campaign. Not unless your genocidal and straight up colonising the lands that you've purged of its original inhabitants.

A better idea that some people and myself have proposed is to work with the notables system that we have in place. Why not allow the possibility of notables from your culture migrating and setting up shop in the lands you've just conquered. You could have quests for them and their struggles to fit into their new homes, that sort of thing. Good, interesting stuff. By default, they'll generally have great relations with you, which means more troops to make up for just being one guy. Hell, with all these rival gang quests and stuff, it really ought to be a thing.

The big thing is that this lets you recruit from your faction, or recruit the skills of the locals instead, while also working with systems that are already in place.

Back
Top Bottom