Cannot block upper two handed axe attacks

Users who are viewing this thread

There is no way to block upper two handed axe attack without shield. It always crash through. And sometimes it crash through shields too. There is really no way to block upper attacks against a two handed axes without getting any damage. Please nerf cut through and two handed axes. There is not any point if you can't block it.Only upper attacks ignore blocking.

I could be wrong but I feel like I've noticed this problem with basically any 2h upper attack. Usually it seems to be with polearms. But it really blows when I'm fighting a horde of guys with my executioner's axe and get clipped in the face with a polearm, dying instantly, when I blocked correctly. It's not really fun for the player to encounter unblockable attacks. The whole point of the combat system is that we can block, right? I guess "in theory" you could chamber it, but it's pretty hard to chamber those with all the FPS problems, slow-downs, stutter, etc., so it's effectively not possible to defend against. Also I probably had several hundred hours in Warband MP before I even knew chamber was a thing. It's not reasonable to expect non-veteran players doing a single playthrough of SP campaign (probably the vast majority of players?) to even know about that mechanic.

Here's a thought, add a perk in the skill trees to be able to block crush-throughs as one of those automatically-obtainable ones (not a selection); or when you hit some skill threshold like 125, you can now block crush-throughs by default.

Last edited:
Here's a thought, add a perk in the skill trees to be able to block crush-throughs as one of those automatically-obtainable ones (not a selection); or when you hit some skill threshold like 125, you can now block crush-throughs by default.
Adding to that, I would make it so that to even perform a crush-through you have to unlock it through perks as well, so there is sort of a bi-layer defense against them. They are just too op otherwise, in the hands of both players and AI alike.

@Adryl
Just watch this. Also voulges can crash through too.

use this mod for disabling crash throughs. I am playing as a infantry without pain now.

You're ****ing around in the sparring matches. The CTB is really good for you if you use it again shielded AI in sieges and such.

You're ****ing around in the sparring matches. The CTB is really good for you if you use it again shielded AI in sieges and such.
This video was just an example. CTB is really good only if you are a couch lancer. You can easily kill shielded AI with getting behind or surrounding them. Please be respectful.

This video was just an example. CTB is really good only if you are a couch lancer. You can easily kill shielded AI with getting behind or surrounding them. Please be respectful.
But I was asking when do you get hit like that in actual, normal gameplay, so a staged example is not an explanation. I was just sharing with you that in particular the CTB mechanic is very good if you use it and getting rid of it could be a disadvantage. You can literally wipe out the entire SW formation of infantry in a siege by yourself (with walls down) as they hold in SW formation, with CTB weapon.
Please be respectful.

But I was asking when do you get hit like that in actual, normal gameplay, so a staged example is not an explanation. I was just sharing with you that in particular the CTB mechanic is very good if you use it and getting rid of it could be a disadvantage. You can literally wipe out the entire SW formation of infantry in a siege by yourself (with walls down) as they hold in SW formation, with CTB weapon.
Please be respectful.
I usually play as an infantry with one handed weapon without shield (with realistic received damage ratio). I know my opinion seems unrealistic but if you receive 120 damage while blocking it, there is no realism. If i receive 20-30 damage, i don't mind it. But getting one shot? No thank you game. I don't like two handed axes, voulges and menavlions. They are overpowered. My native language is not English. So if i got or said something wrong, forgive me.

Please be respectful.

I get hit like this during sieges in normal single-player gameplay all the time. Sturgian shock troopers for example hit with an overhead swing with some kind of polearm, don't know what they have. Maybe a voulge or a menavlion. Anyway it crushes my block frequently, like to the point where I don't think it's possible to block it without it getting crushed (could be wrong but that's how it seems to me). Lately I just don't bother to block that attack, I leveled athletics and I just side-dodge it now, or fight someone else when I see them in a formation, since I don't want my siege fight to be ended prematurely.

I enjoy the CTB mechanic on enemies, and don't necessarily think it should be removed entirely. I just wish there were a way to deal with it, like for example blocking with a heavier weapon would negate the CTB chance, or blocking with a higher level / more durable shield. Like maybe the crappy wooden shields can easily be CTB'ed but the tier 5 and 6 shields can't. Or, as I mentioned, a perk or the ability to block CTB attacks reliably after a certain skill level (really needs to be reliable and work 100% of the time, otherwise it's not worth the risk and I'll find another way of dealing with that enemy or avoid it entirely).

I think it'd be fun to have something like, at 100 skill, you block CTB 50% better and after 200 skill, you block it 100% of the time (with that particular skill - so if you have 200 skill in one-hand, you can block it with a one-hand weapon). And then, heavier / higher tier / more durable shields can block CTB reliably all the time.

To me, the best part of the Mount and Blade combat system has always been that you can negate all damage through skillful blocking. Most other games don't have the guts to implement that, they have some half-baked crappy thing where you take reduced damage or take stamina damage or something (which I despise). CTB makes it start to feel like some crappy Skyrim thing where enemies can still "hit you through your block" or whatever, which I personally just hate so much and is so boring and stupid. I love the Bannerlord combat system so far in SP (haven't done MP yet) but this one little CTB thing does make it slightly worse imo and would be fairly simple to fix (and would enhance the game, since my fix suggestion would make it even more fun and rewarding to gain skill levels).

Last edited:
I've actually experienced the exact situation against Sturgian Shock Troops able to hit me with two handed axes even when blocking with a two handed sword (I'll try to get video of it). I understand perhaps, realistically, you would/could still get hit by an axe while blocking however...I'm the player and they are the A.I. a block should be a block both ways. Unless, of course there are designated weapons that specifically crush through blocks such as the heavy great war hammer in Warband (still a great game).

Sturgian and Aserai shock troops both have 2handed axes I believe. It makes them great for busting up castle defenders.

I'm sort of assuming that's the entire point though. Making an all-offense class of troops who have no shields and can be butchered by archers, but can crush through shield blocks is sort of what they're designed for. If you're facing them in an open map they're weak if you can mow them down with proper tactics and archers. But if you hide them behind a shield wall or out of range of castle walls, once they're in melee they're unstoppable.

I guess I'd agree that a perk for the 1handed tree to allow blocking them by characters/heroes might be appropriate to make the game more fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom