Bannerlord RTX?

Users who are viewing this thread

I have no idea how things like this work but is it possible for Taleworlds to add ray tracing into the game in a later stage? If so is it possible they are gonna do it? Because the lumination of the game seems to be a problem in many scenes, ray tracing in some form would make the graphics look much more realistic and detailed.

Also doesent the latest DX12 and Cryenginge feature some kind of ray tracing?

It's probably possible but since there'll be lots of bodies in battles, It might only work fine with Ampere cards, not Turing (maybe 2080 Ti). I think with consoles and Ampere+Big Navi cards, Ray Tracing performance will finally be enough to allow proper Ray Tracing to become the standart in a few years, Bannerlord should jump on the train, I imagine Nvidia would be more than happy to collab, they need more games with RT.

It's for sure possible with some moderate effort. But it would also mean maybe thousand of man-hours they have already invested in baking scenes are gone for ppl who can afford RT. Although that is still valuable for ppl who has no RT capability and TW seems to always want a larger coverage.

It's probably possible but since there'll be lots of bodies in battles, It might only work fine with Ampere cards, not Turing (maybe 2080 Ti). I think with consoles and Ampere+Big Navi cards, Ray Tracing performance will finally be enough to allow proper Ray Tracing to become the standart in a few years, Bannerlord should jump on the train, I imagine Nvidia would be more than happy to collab, they need more games with RT.

Yeah it's now in the wake of RTX 3000 and AMD's big Navi the thought came along. Since these cards will be very affordable, 3070 performing like a 2080 (on paper) for less then half the price it should make it alot more accessible.

Yeah, Bannerlord really should jump on that train, you can have gorgeous and detailed graphics but with bad lumination it will look bad anyway and at the same time you can have mediocre graphics and the game will look good with ray tracing.

But as I stated, I have no clue how much work that would mean. I understand if it isn't doable but damn it would be awesome! Also a good selling point when 1.0 is released when alot of people have RTX cards or AMD big Navi cards and want to use their new toys to the maximum!

Would look great but this is an unlikely wish. The 3000 Nvidia cards will now enable the game to run 1000 troop battles at 4K smoothly. We are just getting to that point. Full raytracing would be a step beyond that. Lighting is extremely taxing with that many models I don’t see this being possible. Maybe 5 years from now. Maybe then the game will be complete and Nvidia will have delivered the 4000 series.

If we do see it in Bannerlord, it would see limited use. And I don’t see that happening.

Would look great but this is an unlikely wish. The 3000 Nvidia cards will now enable the game to run 1000 troop battles at 4K smoothly. We are just getting to that point. Full raytracing would be a step beyond that. Lighting is extremely taxing with that many models I don’t see this being possible. Maybe 5 years from now. Maybe then the game will be complete and Nvidia will have delivered the 4000 series.

If we do see it in Bannerlord, it would see limited use. And I don’t see that happening.

Well playing at 4k is still a niche market. Maybe 10% of gamers or even less use it. According to a question I asked on Swecklockers, a Swedish gaming forum where 700 people participated only 10% played on true 4k, 45% played on 2560 x 1440, 19% played on 1920 x 1080 and 30% played on somehting else between 1920 x 1080 - 3840 x 2160 excluding 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440. 1% gamed on 5120 × 2880 and 1% above 5120 × 2880.

We cant adapt the gaming market to the 10% players who use 4K, they can simply turn RT off, rather then taking that function away for everyone. Would be as insanely as to adapt the whole gaming market to the 2% that play on resolutions above 4k.

Last edited:
Well playing at 4k is still a niche market. Maybe 10% of gamers or even less use it. According to a question I asked on Swecklockers, a Swedish gaming forum where 700 people participated only 10% played on true 4k, 45% played on 2560 x 1440, 19% played on 1920 x 1080 and 30% played on somehting else between 1920 x 1080 - 3840 x 2160 excluding 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440. 1% gamed on 5120 × 2880 and 1% above 5120 × 2880.

We cant adapt the gaming market to the 10% players who use 4K, they can simply turn RT off, rather then taking that function away for everyone. Would be as insanely as to adapt the whole gaming market to the 2% that play on resolutions above 4k.

And how small is the niche for RTX? It would be insane to adapt the game engine to accommodate less than 1% of the market.

“Between December 2018 and January 2019, the RTX 2070 jumped about .16 percent in usage, bringing the total reported number of systems with that GPU to .33 percent. The RTX 2070 is the most popular out of the three RTX cards; the 2080's usage was reported at .31 percent, and the 2080 Ti at just .15 percent.” -PC Gamer

Expect something similar with the adoption of these new cards. 4k only requires user to toggle their resolution. More gamers will be capable of that and it doesn’t require a change to the game that hasn’t already been made.

Before anyone says it doesn’t make a difference, I guarantee you on a good 50” display it does. And a larger screen makes everything more cinematic and clear. I’ve been playing Crusader Kings iii on a 49” @4k and the text and smallest details on characters faces are crystal clear. It doesn’t just look better, it is functionally better. The game plays better at 4K because I can be zoomed out and, for example, see the name of every duchy. That wouldn’t be possible otherwise.

Total War would similarly benefit from 4K because of the many, many small units on a large scale map.

In Bannerlord, the difference 4K @ 60 would make is being able to see each blade of grass an arrows flying. Each troop from a far distance would be clear.

I think the goal for Bannerlord be 60fps @4k before they add or remake the game engine they haven’t finished. 4k should be the new standard since 20% of console gamers will already be there 6 months from now. Let’s see that 4K usage rise to 10% before TW even consider RTX. Let’s wait for more than 5% to have a PC capable of ray tracing.

Last edited:
And how small is the niche for RTX? It would be insane to adapt the game engine to accommodate less than 1% of the market.

“Between December 2018 and January 2019, the RTX 2070 jumped about .16 percent in usage, bringing the total reported number of systems with that GPU to .33 percent. The RTX 2070 is the most popular out of the three RTX cards; the 2080's usage was reported at .31 percent, and the 2080 Ti at just .15 percent.”

-PC Gamer

4k only requires user to toggle their resolution. it doesn’t require a change to thegame that hasn’t already been made.

Before anyone says it doesn’t make a difference, I guarantee you on a good 50” display it does. And a larger screen makes everything more cinematic and clear. I’ve been playing Crusader Kings iii on a 49” @4k and the text and smallest details on characters faces are crystal clear. It doesn’t just look better, it is functionally better. The game plays better at 4K because I can be zoomed out and, for exampleThat wouldn’t be possible otherwise.

Total War would similarly benefit from 4K because of the many, many small units on a large scale map.

In Bannerlord, the difference 4K @ 60 makes is being able to see each blade of grass an arrows flying. Each troop from a far distance would be clear.

I think the goal for Bannerlord be 60fps @4k before they add or remake the game engine they haven’t finished. Let’s see that 4K usage rise to 10% before they even consider RTX. Let’s wait for more than 5% of gamers to have a PC capable of ray tracing.

Yes but you're talking about not adding it because people play on 4K. I'm not suggesting that they should remove 4K support. Huge differense.

Yes I agree it makes a differense the pixel denstity (PPI) is 88.12/inch at 50" and my 32" screen at 2560 x 1440 have a higher pixel denstity (PPI) at 91.79/inch. So I have an even sharper screen then you if you use a 50". And if you where to use 4K at 32" it would be a total waste.

Why dont you want people to have the option for ray tracing? It seems like you have some kind of personal problem for that? Nah I think they should remove 4K support and the goal should be ray tracing at 60FPS.

No. I'd like to see ray tracing for Bannerlord. Wanting something and then doing the work to get it or even having it are separate things. It isnt a personal problem, it is a development problem and a hardware problem. Full raytracing Bannerlord is not even possible because it is not all simple solid surfaces. It cannot be done even on next gen hardware. It'd have to be done selectively and there is not alot of water, plate armor, or solid shiny surfaces. This is why most cards cant run minecraft @ 60 fps with ray tracing. GPU has to render all those high res textures on high polys then ray trace thousands of blades of grass, all the trees leaves and branches, complex geometry of every building and then up to 1000 units plus horses. Have you considered that? Maybe is a naive opinion, maybe you are hardware developer or amateur expert and you know something we do not.

No. I'd like to see ray tracing for Bannerlord. Wanting something and then doing the work to get it or even having it are separate things. It isnt a personal problem, it is a development problem and a hardware problem. Full raytracing Bannerlord is not even possible because it is not all simple solid surfaces. It cannot be done even on next gen hardware. It'd have to be done selectively and there is not alot of water, plate armor, or solid shiny surfaces. This is why most cards cant run minecraft @ 60 fps with ray tracing. GPU has to render all those high res textures on high polys then ray trace thousands of blades of grass, all the trees leaves and branches, complex geometry of every building and then up to 1000 units plus horses. Have you considered that? Maybe is a naive opinion, maybe you are hardware developer or amateur expert and you know something we do not.
Don't Skyrim have ray tracing? Don't remember/know.

“Between December 2018 and January 2019, the RTX 2070 jumped about .16 percent in usage, bringing the total reported number of systems with that GPU to .33 percent. The RTX 2070 is the most popular out of the three RTX cards; the 2080's usage was reported at .31 percent, and the 2080 Ti at just .15 percent.” -PC Gamer

Expect something similar with the adoption of these new cards. 4k only requires user to toggle their resolution. More gamers will be capable of that and it doesn’t require a change to the game that hasn’t already been made.
This is not January 2019 and 3000 series is not the first implementation of Ray Tracing, claiming the adoptation will be the same just shows your lack of understanding how the industry works. Many people held off from upgrading to Turing because the raw performance gain was not enough since the focus had been the RT and the node-shrink was minimal from 16 to 12 nm, there were just a few titles because it was a new tech, also they had to price them higher than usual because of R&D costs and there was little competition from AMD until they launched their RDNA gpus. It's kinda a worst case scenario except for the lack of competition for a decent amount of time. Still, go take a look at steam hardware survey and you'll see %10+ total for RTX 2000 series, not "%1". Both AMD and Nvidia is going for full RT across their lineup now + Consoles. On the other hand, 4K adoptation stats? "2.24%".

:unsure:

LbUUIhf.jpg

I have an RTX 2070 and I recently shelved my 4K monitor because the frames would drop below to around 30-55 in 1000 troop battles.

I am using my 1080p monitor now and the frames are around 100.

Back
Top Bottom