Archers in 1.5

Users who are viewing this thread

The argument could be made that decreasing the rate of fire of bows actually increases the skill of the class. With a lower ROF, archers now need to make sure every shot counts, favouring quality shots over just firing as much as possible. One way or another, I think it is necessary that archers do not go back to firing at the pace they were in 1.4.3. Also, your examples are pretty much irrelevant since Bannerlord is a much different game than OW and Quake, although I can see how some people might have confused it with a FPS when you consider how it played before 1.5.0.

I know they're very different games, they were just the two primary games with projectiles that came to mind. I'm not sure what other prominent games have good examples but they're probably out there. (I assume archers in Mordhau are still despised and I'm not sure what their relationship is now.)

It might depend on the game, but the more time you have to aim the lower the skill is. A very low rate of fire like crossbows might be dipping into risk-reward or resource management territory, which are different skills, but I do think more APM = more skill between skilled players.

I will say that the new archery has grown on me, it has a rhythm that you can adjust based on the situation. It's still too slow overall, but the aiming window feels pretty good when you're landing shots.

All projectiles have been nerfed, you now have to hold the javelin's throwing animation to be able to throw it accurately, with archers, you have to hold your draw to shoot accurately, it kinda makes sense.

It's ****ed. And especially horse archery is at the bottom of the sea. The archery classes can just as well be taken out of the game. It's a ****ing abomination.

Horse archers gone out of multiplayer? You'd be making so many wishes come true.

All projectiles have been nerfed, you now have to hold hold the javelin's throwing animation to be able to throw it accurately, with archers, you have to hold your draw to shoot accurately, it kinda makes sense.

It doesn't especially for the horse archer. In Bannerlord there are mostly closed spaces so you always have other cavalry coming at you from the front. With all curves and edges you have AT MAX 1 second to aim at the guy rapidly approaching you with a 2-3 meter lance to shoot him and stun him before you'll INEVITABLY have 1 huge hole in your stomach. That is NOT possible if you have to wait 2-3 seconds for the aim to "normalize". NOT possible. Sure you can hit someone randomly. But that's it. That's not the way I'm playing. Saying anything else to the contrary is just you being happy not to be bothered by arrows, not a logical conclusion.

For the record, I was playing some BL Skirmish yesterday, accidently selected mounted archer and was having a good time, yeah when you're riding the accuracy is really bad, but when you slow down for a shot or shoot at point blank, they're really fun to play. Horse archers shouldn't be 'hit and run'. Luckily when a cavalry approaches you, there's no need for an accurate shot, by the time they're close you can pretty much stop, click and hold for like 1/2 a second and shoot (you don't need full accuracy because they're close).

For the record, I was playing some BL Skirmish yesterday, accidently selected mounted archer and was having a good time, yeah when you're riding the accuracy is really bad, but when you slow down for a shot or shoot at point blank, they're really fun to play. Horse archers shouldn't be 'hit and run'.

We'll just disagree there. You CANNOT slow down when some cav comes at you from the front and you're at max 1 second away from being stabbed. You. Can't.

Don't horse archers get 50 arrows now? Still seems useful to me.

I don't want 50 arrows.. or a 2 mph faster horse. I want to be able to shoot some numbnut coming at me with a combined speed of 100mph which I just saw a second ago if my aiming skill allows it. Otherwise as said, you can completely ditch the whole class. At that aiming speed you have to give me a chariot with weapons on the wheels, because you can't do **** about approaching cavalry right now. At least not reliably. Or some spearman with broad shoulders pointing a 3-4 meter long stick at you.

I don't want 50 arrows.. or a 2 mph faster horse. I want to be able to shoot some numbnut coming at me with a combined speed of 100mph which I just saw a second ago if my aiming skill allows it. Otherwise as said, you can completely ditch the whole class. At that aiming speed you have to give me a chariot with weapons on the wheels, because you can't do **** about approaching cavalry right now. At least not reliably. Or some spearman with broad shoulders pointing a 3-4 meter long stick at you.
I mean, just dodge

Let me introduce you to our god and savior warband class system

You often can't. Also that way you'll never reach a decent amount of kills. There are no horse-archer-adjusted multiplayer maps in BL. So that's the way to get kills, everything else is just playing around 2 min, ditch it, and play another class.
I mean, idk what gamemode you play, but all TDM maps are easy for horse archery, 3 skirmish maps are good for HA, most captain maps if not all are good for HA, and why the **** would you take HA in Siege.

I mean, if you want an open plain with 0 trees, a completely flat map, ofc you can't have it, but most maps are horse archery friendly.

As much as alcoholism is family friendly.

But glad you mentioned it. That is exactly just the thing, I DIDN'T need completely open plains with 0 trees before 1.5. But now with these aiming settings you sure do. Otherwise you can just as well take the whole horse archery class out. It's now just a gimmic. Not a serious contender for a competitive class.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom