Seriously Concerned About Map Editor for Multiplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

Aura (Zaffa)

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Despite the question being asked like 50 times over the course of a 1.5 hour Twitch stream, the devs refused to answer or acknowledge the below question, and instead banned people who asked it.

"Can we get confirmation that all tools work for multiplayer maps and wont break the ability for players to download maps for multiplayer? For instance, will using custom textures mess up ability for players to download map when joining server (assuming downloads are handled the same way as warband)?"

Does the editor look amazing? Yes.

However, this is meaningless for multiplayer if players can't load the maps.

At least one user in the chat purported to being told on Discord that players will not be able to automatically download maps when joining servers anymore. This is a HUGE issue. Not only do we not know how map downloads will work in bannerlord, we don't even know if custom maps can be freely used on multiplayer servers at all, and if they can, which tools will or wont break the ability for players to load the maps. For example, does using custom textures prevent players from using the map? Who knows. Devs won't tell us and this is a MAJOR problem.

At least one user in the chat purported to being told on Discord that players will not be able to automatically download maps when joining servers anymore.
You're misquoting me. I said they said they don't know, and seing as how we got to ask questions to NIN3, who works on level design, not servers, I can't blame him for that.
Here's the actual question I asked and the answer I got:
2EDDD74FA4569D9866C18EF4F659418859607157

It's infuriating how Taleworlds has once again placed a gag order on its employees for content related to multiplayer.

Either they don't know the answer or they know the answer will piss people off. Both options are alarming at best.

It's infuriating how Taleworlds has once again placed a gag order on its employees for content related to multiplayer.

Either they don't know the answer or they know the answer will piss people off. Both options are alarming at best.
The thing is it's directly in relation with the fact they do not know when they will release custom servers yet. It just confirms that they are still far away from releasing custom servers.

My best guess is, you'll download the maps on steam workshop eventually, kinda like in any valve or paradox game.
This would be my guess as well. Anyway this is just the beginning of the editor and modding tools and its not like you would get to use MP maps on servers anyway without actual custom servers support.

I asked NIN3 and here's what he said, and I put it in chat on twitch at the end of the stream but most people didn't see it I'm guessing:

Suspicious ManToday at 8:11 AM
we're worried about the assets that change though, and people having to download a mod if someone changes the texture on a building or something @NIN3

NIN3Today at 8:13 AM
@Suspicious Man oh I am not sure. It will depends on the implementation we choose. I think the bets case would be something like garys mod has that you download the mods once you join a server. But we will see.

so we don't know, and the people in the stream didn't know either I'm guessing because they don't know how the networking and whatnot works, they just know making scenes and the engine.

This would be my guess as well. Anyway this is just the beginning of the editor and modding tools and its not like you would get to use MP maps on servers anyway without actual custom servers support.
But if they dont even plan to have it, its starting to feel like Taleworlds really hates their fanbase, after what they have done already (class system, battle). Would be a huge disappointment to not be able to host your own server for your own maps, i mean you technically could but nobody would join just by browsing the servers.

Well it’s good to have this discussion now, so that Taleworlds can figure out a solution.

Hopefully it won’t be an issue, but if things can’t be directly downloaded in game, I’m sure most people would be fine with how AoE or TF2 do it, where there is a workshop downloader directly built into multiplayer. The solution might be as simple as servers making their mappacks into one large mod that can be downloaded in its entirety at the click of a button.

Well it’s good to have this discussion now, so that Taleworlds can figure out a solution.

Hopefully it won’t be an issue, but if things can’t be directly downloaded in game, I’m sure most people would be fine with how AoE or TF2 do it, where there is a workshop downloader directly built into multiplayer. The solution might be as simple as servers making their mappacks into one large mod that can be downloaded in its entirety at the click of a button.
Didnt tf2 auto download maps? Actually didnt cs also do that? I dont remember downloading all the surf maps manually

Back
Top Bottom