Archers in 1.5

Users who are viewing this thread

It does completely remove the archers ability to do the bull**** shoot and scoot kiting that was very unfun to fight against, but it’s possible that the new and improved movement would accomplish the same thing without hampering the class.

It does completely remove the archers ability to do the bull**** shoot and scoot kiting that was very unfun to fight against, but it’s possible that the new and improved movement would accomplish the same thing without hampering the class.
Skilled archers can still jumpshot or 360, it's just not 100% effective anymore.

Also, light archers are faster than infs so they can run away.

Right now, archery is "balanced" but it is less "fun." Fun and balanced are not mutually exclusive. It should be both, not just one.
Don't think you can put it much better than that. I am mainly an archer and early on it feels bad like Warband but as you level the skill you get faster and more accurate which is realistic. Once you get over 100 you start feeling pretty OP

What do people think about reducing archer damage rather than accuracy?

Reducing limb multiplier damage could be a good way to reduce the effectiveness of footshot/armshot.

You could reduce body shot damage overall so light inf go from 2 to 3 shots and heavy inf from 3 to 4/5 shots.

Increasing the headshot multiplier with these nerfs still provides archers high damage potential but adds a higher skill requirement to doing so.

I think the best way to balance archers and reward skill is to make is so that:
  • Archers can shoot relatively fast, rewarding quick aim and accurate flicks
  • Archers have a high headshot multiplier, rewarding accurate aim and excellent prediction (at longer range)
  • Archers do low damage on a body shot, due to how easy this is
  • Infantry are stunned by headshots, but not by bodyshots (based on a threshold so point blank xbow shots would probably stun)
This means infantry can prioritize blocking headshots, giving them something more strategic and active to do while raising the skill ceiling for archers.

This might make archers too strong at close range (easier to headshot) but ideally a balance would be found.

No. Thats the very thing we finally get rid off. xD

Why is that a bad thing? You're directly removing archer skill when you make accurate shots 2+ seconds apart. No other projectile based class/character in a game would make aiming that slow.

Overwatch's Hanzo shots -- full accuracy -- are 0.75 seconds apart. Inaccurate shots are 0.5s.
Quake 2's Rocket Launcher is 1.4 seconds apart. Other weapons are faster.

If fire rate is resulting in archers being too strong, then reduce damage. Like I proposed, body shot damage should be reduced in favor of a more interactive game.

• Archers have a high headshot multiplier, rewarding accurate aim and excellent prediction (at longer range)
  • Infantry are stunned by headshots, but not by bodyshots (based on a threshold so point blank xbow shots would probably stun)
This means infantry can prioritize blocking headshots, giving them something more strategic and active to do while raising the skill ceiling for archers.

This might make archers too strong at close range (easier to headshot) but ideally a balance would be found.

I like this. Add the crosshairs quickly losing accuracy if held. Force archers to actually be good at archery and not just hold their shot at center mass for 3 seconds waiting for an opening.

Archery needs slight buff. Crossbows need massive nerf. I say this as someone who thought archery was op before this patch (which it was), the archery now is useless, it needs to be buffed.

Why is that a bad thing? You're directly removing archer skill when you make accurate shots 2+ seconds apart. No other projectile based class/character in a game would make aiming that slow.

Overwatch's Hanzo shots -- full accuracy -- are 0.75 seconds apart. Inaccurate shots are 0.5s.
Quake 2's Rocket Launcher is 1.4 seconds apart. Other weapons are faster.

If fire rate is resulting in archers being too strong, then reduce damage. Like I proposed, body shot damage should be reduced in favor of a more interactive game.
The argument could be made that decreasing the rate of fire of bows actually increases the skill of the class. With a lower ROF, archers now need to make sure every shot counts, favouring quality shots over just firing as much as possible. One way or another, I think it is necessary that archers do not go back to firing at the pace they were in 1.4.3. Also, your examples are pretty much irrelevant since Bannerlord is a much different game than OW and Quake, although I can see how some people might have confused it with a FPS when you consider how it played before 1.5.0.

hey ya'll i think archery is ok right now. i played a match against a whole team of archers and got my bottom beat. I honestly think cav needs a buff against archers, the whole cav is weak against infin. but strong against archers is totally not right. when i see a archer off in the distance i piss my... playing as cav. so much for a knights armor if you can easily get your horse shot up.

Mount&Blade Cav vs Archer is such a unique interaction in gaming. Both parties think one is supposed to counter the other and both absolutely hate the interaction. At the end of the day when Cav fights Archer I think the player who makes the best play is the one who wins. It doesnt necessarily favor one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom