1.5 State of throwing weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

Block delay my bruh.
It never felt as bad with shields.

You should have blocked either way. Had he hit your shield, he would have been left completely defenseless. I don't see the point you are trying to prove.
I did press right mouse click, and it would have blocked a melee attack, but because throwing weapons are so fast, it caught me by surprise.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, but I can record some videos and test it out, at some point.

The point of my first post was to say that readying throwing weapons was too fast pre-1.5.

@Pacemaker in any case, jon is right, thrown too quickly. I've intentionally left my shield down in a 2v1 vs someone readying a pila throw so it would bait them into throwing it at me and it's so damn quick that I still didn't shield in time despite pressing RMB as soon as they twitch in their animation.

And yeah I share everyones sentiments that they nerfed them in the incorrect way but until we see this 3rd perk in place as well I'm happy for it to stay this way.

@Pacemaker in any case, jon is right, thrown too quickly. I've intentionally left my shield down in a 2v1 vs someone readying a pila throw so it would bait them into throwing it at me and it's so damn quick that I still didn't shield in time despite pressing RMB as soon as they twitch in their animation.

And yeah I share everyones sentiments that they nerfed them in the incorrect way but until we see this 3rd perk in place as well I'm happy for it to stay this way.

Be ready for passive perks to destroy the balance as we know it.

Nerf the accuracy is a bad idea.

Although I am a typical shieldless player (I rather remove throwing weapons from the game at all)

I have to speak for ranged weapon MP players.

For any ranged weapon, nerf accuracy = nerf fun.

Why do you nerf people's fun?
We don't make living from the game. We won't play a boring class. because no one pays us for it. The only reward is fun.
(In some games, people just hold RMB, raise a shield, turning around only because the team needs a tank. It's boring but they are professional players they get paid.)

Don't put the "balancing" over "fun".

So why do people choose a ranged class? to bully noobs? or... they only desire the feeling of being accurate?
You can still keep the fun part, remove the overpower part, just need to think it more carefully.

As a melee player, I am okay with getting shot as long as I can have my fun.

Throwing weapons before 1.5:

I think this video showcases where throwing needed to be nerfed more in 1.5.0 rather than time for accuracy to settle. Pacemaker is completely incorrect because a melee attack gives you way more time to react than that throw did, in this video you barely have time to even recognize that he had a throwing axe and not a melee axe before it's buried in you. In 1.5.0 the release time of throwing weapons was slightly increased, but it still feels too fast IMO, especially for throwing axes. The time for maximum accuracy is somewhat irrelevant in these scenarios since you don't need great accuracy to hit a close-ranged target anyways. The changes in 1.5.0 seem to mostly nerf throwing's ability to deal with archers and cavalry but did less to curb throwing dominance in infantry fights (except for the improved throwing bump mechanic, which is great but really should have been there from the start).

Not taking javs was 100% a price thing in Warband. You saw them all the time when NA used 1200 and 1500 gold. Many players like Cdjrcxx and Aporta had a reputation as jav kings. Nords were considered a powerhouse faction almost exclusively because of how many Javs they had access to.
If you make spears core to the inf class as they should be, and put the spear and jav "perk" as mutually exclusive choices, then BL accomplishes the same effect without ruining an entire facet of the game... Spears should almost always be the better choice than throws... But a skilling throwing player should be able to get marginally more utility out of throwing weapons than a spear if they are talented and smart at using them.

Javs are in a good place now. They are slower, less accurate, and harder to land. If you seriously think they were in a good place prior to this beta patch, you have no clue what you're talking about, and you should reconsider your life choices.. The simple fact that they were SO good compared to the rest of the kit says something. The reason why everyone and their grandmother threw a jav says something. They were broken before. You will never come up with an argument that convinces me otherwise.. There just isn't one.

Now they are more like warband javs, which are objectively in a good place. The only thing I would change about the current update, is to increase the ready time juuuust a little bit so you at least feel like you can react to an opportunity to throw them at someone. But the accuracy being total ass outside of that sweet spot is perfect. Hell, even in warband if you had the windup timed perfectly, they'd still fly off to the left or right at times. Even a professional pitcher doesn't always throw strikes.

On top of that, prior to the accuracy nerf, people would throw javs and shoot arrows at horses more then they stab them, now I am not sure yet whether its is a good or bad thing that our dear horses will be inevitably attacked less prior to them going in for a kill. I'm leaning towards this being a good thing, since spears now work properly and actually stop cav coming in, this means that you'll need a spear inf near an archer for that archer to feel safe in any way, which honestly, should be the case. It was pretty bull**** to be on a cav and have 3 javs tossed at you from range and kill your horse before you've even made a move on the enemy. At least now if you go in and catch a spear, that's your own damn fault as a cav player.

Oh, and I think the archer shooting speed is a little too slow now as well, that could probably be increased just a little more again. Running a bow other than the fastest one of the kit feels like it takes a year to ready. My problem with archers previously wasn't the fire rate, it was the accuracy and the damage. I think the draw speed could be increased a little more again.

My problem with javs previously absolutely was the fire rate (ready to throw, draw rate, whatever you want to call this), accuracy, damage, and abundance. You've effectively fix'd javs in my book. I am happy about this.

Back
Top Bottom