SP - General Bad graphic effects on Armor with bad weather

Users who are viewing this thread

I had posted these pics in another section of the forum for another reason, but looking better at the pics made me think... the effect of the armor is totally different in bad weather and it's not very nice... from sparkling and shiny it becomes opaque...
I hope this aspect can be improved in the future.

Metal doesn't look shiny if there's no direct light source to shine off of it. It would look bizzare if the brightest thing in that scene was the reflection on your armour.
Also because of the rendering system they're using, everything is lit with a degree of consistency, so they would have to brighten up the whole thing in order to make the armour shine.

However, what most games (and photographers and 2D artist) will do is to make sure there is a variety of light in a scene to prevent things looking too flat. I couldn't even find a photo of armour in these low light conditions because no photographer is going to capture something that looks this dull.

So basically it's realistic but it looks boring.

As Jacob says, realistic but it looks boring:

1.jpg

As far as lighting is concerned, I'd love to be able to take the one with A Plague Tale Innocence to Bannerlord (check the clip-snowy scene).

Engine tech

Metal doesn't look shiny if there's no direct light source to shine off of it. It would look bizzare if the brightest thing in that scene was the reflection on your armour.
Also because of the rendering system they're using, everything is lit with a degree of consistency, so they would have to brighten up the whole thing in order to make the armour shine.

However, what most games (and photographers and 2D artist) will do is to make sure there is a variety of light in a scene to prevent things looking too flat. I couldn't even find a photo of armour in these low light conditions because no photographer is going to capture something that looks this dull.

So basically it's realistic but it looks boring.
Not so realistic in this case... if a metal is polished, it stays polished.

Just because something is polished doesn't mean it will appear shiny in all light conditions. You don't get a reflection if there is nothing to reflect.

Also you'd be surprised how dull plate armour is, at least when it's not made in a factory. The shiniest plate I've seen is basically the equivalent to a cooking pot. You wouldn't be able to see your face in it, and the reflection of a light source like the sun would be completely diffused.

f01f61dfd5d3f2e6fb7d5e6dec9df8a0.jpg

Just because something is polished doesn't mean it will appear shiny in all light conditions. You don't get a reflection if there is nothing to reflect.

Also you'd be surprised how dull plate armour is, at least when it's not made in a factory. The shiniest plate I've seen is basically the equivalent to a cooking pot. You wouldn't be able to see your face in it, and the reflection of a light source like the sun would be completely diffused.

f01f61dfd5d3f2e6fb7d5e6dec9df8a0.jpg
and when was this example polished? 450 years ago?

Polishing metal to the level of shine in this image is basically impossible without modern power tools. You'll notice that this is a fantasy piece produced no more than a few years ago, probably in a modernised workshop using stainless steel.

Armour that survives to this day like the image I posted, has been polished almost constantly otherwise it would have rusted. Bear in mind that "polish" doesn't mean "mirror finish"

I think the issue could be more on the scene lightning as a whole, it looks like they just applied a filter over a bright environment to make it darker and it's kinda desaturated and with no highlights. The brightness and color seem to match with the foggy scene but it is just unrealistic, snow should reflect more light than that; the armor should be shinier as well.

I think the issue could be more on the scene lightning as a whole, it looks like they just applied a filter over a bright environment to make it darker and it's kinda desaturated and with no highlights. The brightness and color seem to match with the foggy scene but it is just unrealistic, snow should reflect more light than that; the armor should be shinier as well.

This.

Yes, and in all the other conditions is shinier, even at night. ?

Back
Top Bottom