Age and Death.

Users who are viewing this thread

So... Have been playing My current play through for quite some while now, Was hoping to maybe succed the Vlandian throne when eventually King Derthert dies.

But haven't seen a single lord or Lady die of old age yet.

Some Are well up in their 80's or start 90's..

So does anyone know when death by old age might occur?

Death by old age is not implemented yet. However, when it is finally added, the age at which lords will begin to have a chance of dying is 47 y/o. The chance of dying increases with each passing year, and if your character somehow manages to make it to 128 y/o they will automatically get sick and die.

Death by old age is not implemented yet. However, when it is finally added, the age at which lords will begin to have a chance of dying is 47 y/o. The chance of dying increases with each passing year, and if your character somehow manages to make it to 128 y/o they will automatically get sick and die.
Where did you know this, mate?

128 years old lmao I'd say 60 is already pushing it for the middle ages, unless they have a high-level surgeon available to them or something. Would also be quite sad to see children potentially die before their parents, even their grand kids!

128 years old lmao I'd say 60 is already pushing it for the middle ages, unless they have a high-level surgeon available to them or something. Would also be quite sad to see children potentially die before their parents, even their grand kids!
What we should consider though (And often forget) is that Bannerlord and Warband is only loosely based on the idea of our own history's middle ages while the game plays in different universe and maybe even different planet(?)

We don't know, maybe Calradians of 20th and 21st centuries will live until 200or 250year old?

It's different world, different micro-organisms, different viruses and stuff. Anatomy of Calradians might be slightly different from earthlings. Or maybe anatomy is same, but biology is totally different, which makes it normal for THEIR middle ages to be how it is.

Historically speaking, if you made it to age 30 in the middle ages, there was a good chance you'd make it to age 60+

The reason life expectancy was so low back then was because infant/child mortality rates were factored in, and those were depressingly high. But if you reached adulthood, it was quite likely you'd make it to an elderly age. The life expectancy for a healthy adult was less, but surprisingly not too far off from modern life expectancy rates.

That being said, I think 128 years is a little high. Nonagenarians and centenarians, while certainly uncommon, were not unheard of either. So I'd say anything past 100-101 is pushing it.

It's different world, different micro-organisms, different viruses and stuff. Anatomy of Calradians might be slightly different from earthlings. Or maybe anatomy is same, but biology is totally different, which makes it normal for THEIR middle ages to be how it is.

Considering they haven't even bothered to choose names or outfits not borrowed from real history, it would make zero sense for such a radical idea as separate biology to be included in the game world.

People in the middle ages could definitely live to 70 or even 100, but between those ages it became a minefield of potentially fatal diseases that even in the modern day can cause serious harm. However the closer to the equator the better and more varied people's diets tend to be, so using north european data as a kind of universal baseline isn't a good idea.

Considering they haven't even bothered to choose names or outfits not borrowed from real history, it would make zero sense for such a radical idea as separate biology to be included in the game world.

People in the middle ages could definitely live to 70 or even 100, but between those ages it became a minefield of potentially fatal diseases that even in the modern day can cause serious harm. However the closer to the equator the better and more varied people's diets tend to be, so using north european data as a kind of universal baseline isn't a good idea.
I mean, it's clearly not copy/paste our world, so slight variations are possible.
You are right. Longliving individuals are not unheard of in history. Most early death rates came from infections and epidemics.

And while medicine wasn't as advanced, it was balanced by the fact that deceases were not as varied as today too. There was no pollution for example (At least in village and farm areas, whereas cities were much worse in this regard) and so on...

Infant death rate, as well as mother death rate was of course higher though and the fact that simple cold could kill you, wasn't helping as well, but high in the mountains people lived much longer due to climate and few other factors.

That being said, I think 128 years is a little high. Nonagenarians and centenarians, while certainly uncommon, were not unheard of either. So I'd say anything past 100-101 is pushing it.

128 is the automatic get sick and die point. It scales prior to that (to my eye; I might be reading this wrong) to the point where making it 128 is extremely unlikely.

Here's a graph of death probabilities as a percentage. The game rolls a number from 0 to 100, and if the number is < the death probability, then the hero dies (or in the case of the player, gets ill). I think this is daily %, however, the function that does the random roll isn't connected to anything yet, so I don't know if it's checked daily or hourly or what.

Probability-of-Death.png

The biggest jump in life expectancy came with the advent of clean water and sanitation.
If you could go back in time and implement modern water and sewage in a Medieval town, the life expectancy would probably double.
Implement proper food preparation and storage too
Living back then was a real 'crap shoot'

Here's a graph of death probabilities as a percentage. The game rolls a number from 0 to 100, and if the number is < the death probability, then the hero dies (or in the case of the player, gets ill). I think this is daily %, however, the function that does the random roll isn't connected to anything yet, so I don't know if it's checked daily or hourly or what.

It would be hilarious if it were hourly: a bunch of clan leaders are going to keel over the first five years of the game in that case.

I mean, it's clearly not copy/paste our world, so slight variations are possible.
You are right. Longliving individuals are not unheard of in history. Most early death rates came from infections and epidemics.

And while medicine wasn't as advanced, it was balanced by the fact that deceases were not as varied as today too. There was no pollution for example (At least in village and farm areas, whereas cities were much worse in this regard) and so on...

Infant death rate, as well as mother death rate was of course higher though and the fact that simple cold could kill you, wasn't helping as well, but high in the mountains people lived much longer due to climate and few other factors.
no pollution? liquified animal droppings not pollution? smoking hearths without chimneys? Sorry. Just couldn’t let that go. Your reasoning is sound. Studying Towton remains showed nutrition to be very good among rich and poor (no sugar).

no pollution? liquified animal droppings not pollution? smoking hearths without chimneys? Sorry. Just couldn’t let that go. Your reasoning is sound. Studying Towton remains showed nutrition to be very good among rich and poor (no sugar).
That's why I wrote "At least in village and farm areas, whereas cities were much worse in this regard"
Villages were much more clean because the density of population was much less than in towns and chimney smoke and animal droppings weren't such huge problem as in big cities. The river water was also mostly fresh, especially in comparison to city rivers.

There are villages in my country still to this day, especially in higher mountainous regions and some people still use pack animals, along the big vehicles too but you can even physically feel how cleaner the air there is when you go up there from the capital city I live in. The difference would be even bigger in medieval towns where you basically had to walk through the human excrements in the streets and while villages had outhouses for toilets, city people just did their deeds inside homes in pottery, throwing it out then on the streets.

Probability-of-Death.png
TBH this looks like a fine curve; the chances of making it to the max age (or even close) are basically impossible anyway; though I guess it does depend on how often it is rolled.

I feel I may die of old age waiting for all these extraneous pieces to be finished. So many years in development and half the game is unfinished or just a placeholder. And I thought I had issues with time management...

Back
Top Bottom