Captain mode possible ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, I love captains mode, but if some small changes were added, I believe I would never stop playing it. So a couple ideas I have thought of are.
-Spear walls/phalanx
(maybe make a new formation or use shield wall if spears are equipped, if spears had a active hit box on the tip in these formations and damage is based on velocity of the object going into them. This would add a whole new dynamic to the game)
-Captains mode XL
(I feel like this is a possible plan already but if they just cut the map complexity and add a bare desert or a field map with higher troop counts.)
-Captain Siege
(Its in the name, maybe cut the troop count down for each player while making maybe a 10v10. You just command a small squad)
-Pre-Round map
(Like the dota 2 pre game planner but simpler. Allow people to draw lines on a map to show teammates formation ideas and strategies, maybe add game chat during this????)

This is pretty much it, I believe the core game play is very good, I just feel like spears are a little useless unless the other team has cav. they don't even pose a threat when defending a point. If I see a heavy troop with spears in a shield wall formation I want to be scared. I would also love to see a pike phalanx of savages slowly moving forward. The game modes are pretty self explanatory. I don't want to throw 100 ideas out because the game is still in development and they must have most stuff planned. Captains mode is a diamond in the rough as a game mode and I can see it becoming my all time favorite game if they develop it more. No other game has what this game has. LMK other ideas that are reasonable

Hello, I love captains mode, but if some small changes were added, I believe I would never stop playing it. So a couple ideas I have thought of are.
-Spear walls/phalanx
(maybe make a new formation or use shield wall if spears are equipped, if spears had a active hit box on the tip in these formations and damage is based on velocity of the object going into them. This would add a whole new dynamic to the game)
-Captains mode XL
(I feel like this is a possible plan already but if they just cut the map complexity and add a bare desert or a field map with higher troop counts.)
-Captain Siege
(Its in the name, maybe cut the troop count down for each player while making maybe a 10v10. You just command a small squad)
-Pre-Round map
(Like the dota 2 pre game planner but simpler. Allow people to draw lines on a map to show teammates formation ideas and strategies, maybe add game chat during this????)

This is pretty much it, I believe the core game play is very good, I just feel like spears are a little useless unless the other team has cav. they don't even pose a threat when defending a point. If I see a heavy troop with spears in a shield wall formation I want to be scared. I would also love to see a pike phalanx of savages slowly moving forward. The game modes are pretty self explanatory. I don't want to throw 100 ideas out because the game is still in development and they must have most stuff planned. Captains mode is a diamond in the rough as a game mode and I can see it becoming my all time favorite game if they develop it more. No other game has what this game has. LMK other ideas that are reasonable
I think the spears are fine enough right now. They ARE a gamble on if the enemy team has cavalry, and that gives them a nice place in the game. They are a secondary weapon anyway, and a trade-off to some other secondary weapon.

I would like to see a spear brace as an anti-cav formation though, but only with pikes, and a long wind up to punish. Holding points against skilled cavalry players is very hard right now, but having a static defensive pike formation could mean a win in many cases.

The pre-round map might be a good idea for competitive play as well though.

Great ideas.

@vfkaseke
I think the spears are fine enough right now. They ARE a gamble on if the enemy team has cavalry, and that gives them a nice place in the game. They are a secondary weapon anyway, and a trade-off to some other secondary weapon.

The game item description of the Spear clearly states: Cavalry and crowd control. I find it the suggestion of a spear phalanx (equipped with shield), but essentially unmanouverable really great. Shock troops charging into a spear phalanx should just get obliterated. This could essentially slow down games and produce deadlocks, but it would make tactics so much more valuable.

Yes some ways to communicate with randoms would be great. With how fragile units are the team that splits usually dies.
I mean there is the chat. Many "randoms" just tend to play for themselves, and not the team. I don't think the pre-map would help with that all that much, but it would be useful for more organized teams.
The game item description of the Spear clearly states: Cavalry and crowd control. I find it the suggestion of a spear phalanx (equipped with shield), but essentially unmanouverable really great. Shock troops charging into a spear phalanx should just get obliterated. This could essentially slow down games and produce deadlocks, but it would make tactics so much more valuable.

That on the other hand would just steal the thunder from cavalry itself, which is a crowd control class in a way. I think spears do well enough against cav atm.

That on the other hand would just steal the thunder from cavalry itself, which is a crowd control class in a way. I think spears do well enough against cav atm.

Fair. Getting trampled and floored by cav is regarded apparently as annoying by most players, but then again, it just makes sense that non-spear infantry will be at the shorter end of the stick (pun intended) when faced by horsemen.

Also, actual spears piercing over a shieldwall (Like they did in the Warband Vikingr mod) would make two infantry lines so much more awesome.

The learning curve would get higher this way, but the tactical action dayuuum.

Captain mode is an unpolished gem, we know this.
Game engine (at least on SP mode) can handle hundreds if not thousand of units at once on a same area. Which is great.
The current maps, except The Castle, could host many more troops. Raising the numbers of troops and/or players at once (10x10 sounds legit) might offer more entertainments but games would be a bit longer than 20 minutes in average.

Just getting the AI to use their shields in melee would be awesome. The shield wall command should make your men play extremely defensively. Sometimes you need your guys to stay alive for more than 8 seconds.

Captain mode is an unpolished gem, we know this.

Only playing captain mode here actually. Siege and skirmish are way too grindy and chaotic. It was fun in Warband but I miss "Battle" mode that could also get quite tactical (with lots of wait time inbetween).

Also we need to vote factions in the beginning... always missed that option...

The Limiting factor for troop counts in MP isn't the game engine, but server/network bandwidth issues
Very true, often get moments where my character feels like they are moving through mud which I am guessing is network issues.

But talking about the spears from earlier, their description of crowd control isn’t really put to use in the actual game due to the AI. These so bugs will probably be fixed later on I hope

Very true, often get moments where my character feels like they are moving through mud which I am guessing is network issues.

But talking about the spears from earlier, their description of crowd control isn’t really put to use in the actual game due to the AI. These so bugs will probably be fixed later on I hope
Yeah, I often get that "walking through mud" feeling
Hopefully optimizations on the server side or AI side will allow for greater numbers of troops on a "plus size" captains mode feature

+1 agree on your point about spears.

The walking through mud stuff is either the slow walk bug, or on your side of the game. The network seems to be working fine for most now. Not many server side issues anymore
Just getting the AI to use their shields in melee would be awesome. The shield wall command should make your men play extremely defensively. Sometimes you need your guys to stay alive for more than 8 seconds.
Literally having them in shieldwall has them keep shields up in combat, as long as you don't charge. And even in charge they hold their shields up. Learn to use F1 F1 to approach troops, and your problem is solved.

The walking through mud stuff is either the slow walk bug, or on your side of the game. The network seems to be working fine for most now. Not many server side issues anymore

Isn't the slow walk bug simply you accidently touching the capslock key? If my dead teammates wouldnt have told me, I'd never found out. :grin:

Literally having them in shieldwall has them keep shields up in combat, as long as you don't charge. And even in charge they hold their shields up. Learn to use F1 F1 to approach troops, and your problem is solved.

Yeah shieldwall charge is always failing – seems to be purely defensive. Seargant mode loading screens would need some tutorial screens.

Isn't the slow walk bug simply you accidently touching the capslock key? If my dead teammates wouldnt have told me, I'd never found out. :grin:
Naw man. There's a bug where you spawn into a new unit, and you run really slowly. Sometimes pressing caps helps, and makes you WALK super fast, but it's definitely a bug in the game.
Charge with shieldwall doesn't work, because your units spread out and abandon formation. They just go for the nearest unit with shield up

Naw man. There's a bug where you spawn into a new unit, and you run really slowly. Sometimes pressing caps helps, and makes you WALK super fast, but it's definitely a bug in the game.

Charge with shieldwall doesn't work, because your units spread out and abandon formation. They just go for the nearest unit with shield up
TW are aware of this. It is a bug.

I only use the shield wall to stop arrows. I had found earlier that as soon as an enemy came close individual units would break rank and start swinging and would get cut down immediately while their companions just waited their turn.

All I wanted to do was have my guys stay alive in a choke point until my teammate could get behind them. As it is, you can surround an enemy, but if your timing is not within 3 seconds, the enemy runs in and slaughters you, then turns around and slaughters your buddy just as he gets there. If you could play defensively, flanking and attacking from behind would give you an extreme advantage and make tactics a lot more important than just 'stick together and try attack with more men'.

I only use the shield wall to stop arrows. I had found earlier that as soon as an enemy came close individual units would break rank and start swinging and would get cut down immediately while their companions just waited their turn.

All I wanted to do was have my guys stay alive in a choke point until my teammate could get behind them. As it is, you can surround an enemy, but if your timing is not within 3 seconds, the enemy runs in and slaughters you, then turns around and slaughters your buddy just as he gets there. If you could play defensively, flanking and attacking from behind would give you an extreme advantage and make tactics a lot more important than just 'stick together and try attack with more men'.
They shouldn't break off, but they do swing from formation

Back
Top Bottom