Riding and Athletics, 1.4.3

Users who are viewing this thread

Telyon

Regular
With bannerlordperks finally updating to cover the new perks added in 1.4.3, we can see how the new Riding and Athletics perks shape up. Frankly, the results are rather disappointing. Although the patch notes state 7 and 10 new perks were added for Riding and Athletics, respectively, both trees were overhauled. This overhaul could be what is referred to by "prepared the UI for the combat/mission perks"; the wording is obtuse. Regardless of the meaning, neither tree matches the patch notes. At the risk of oversaturation, each entry in the following table is in the format of (1.4.2 - 1.4.3), i.e., (before - after).

Riding
Athletics
Total
Fully Functional
0 - 5​
1 - 8​
1 - 13​
Semi Functional
0 - 4​
0 - 6​
0 - 10​
Not Functional
15 - 11​
13 - 7​
28 - 18​
Total
15 - 20​
14 - 21​
29 - 41​

In summary, despite the patch notes claiming that a total of 17 perks were added, significantly fewer are actually working. With TW seemingly averse to fixing the perks in favor of completely revamping them, as seen in how they left the Vigor perks mostly untouched until their individual overhauls, I'm disappointed that TW can't at least ensure that the perk overhauls are functioning. Yes, it's the beta branch of an Early Access, but if the patch notes explicitly state new perks were added, those perks should be functioning. Otherwise, what is the point of adding new content? This is to say nothing of the actual perks' design philosophies, where many are inundated with arbitrary, unrelated effects. For example, why is there an Athletics perk that increases my party size and persuasion chance?

Individually, this would be minor, but consider the bugs that have been shipped with 1.4.3 – the infamous garrison siege bug, the recruiting surrendering bandits freeze, and the defection persuasion softlock – and the other absurd changes – giving the glaive-equipped Khan's Guards a short-length one-handed mace and removing a stack of javelins from the Sturgian Horse Raiders. A startling lack of quality control is apparent. If the state of this patch is representative of future patches, I'd be very concerned for the future of the game.

The athletic perk makes sense because you are fit and hot, so people like you more -> more followers and better persuasion. I think...

Edit: Agree that perks have been disappointing.

I honestly expected less from how the devs were communicating with us regarding the refactor, I'm glad we at least got some stuff.

I would just wait to see how the next couple patches look, if we are to believe TW then the refactor would have made things easier and hopefully we will see an increase in new content going forward.

Well it has been said that the community should be excited for the next patch, not the refactored one. IMO 1.43 has just barely enough content to justify the 8 week refactor delay without upsetting the players, since, it is all refactored stuff, stuff they will be building and patching upon. So at this state it is rather shortsighted to plot trendlines based on this severely delayed patch alone.

I've not touched upon the amount/quantity of content whatsoever. That is subjective and harder to measure. Individuals will have different opinions on what is a sufficient amount of content for the time waited. Maybe two perks is enough, maybe ten perks, maybe all the perks.

I've discussed only the quality of the added content, more specifically, the functionality. As I've stated, if TW writes in their patch notes that they have added new perks, then those perks should be working. That those perks are broken signifies either that TW isn't aware of their incomplete status or that TW doesn't care.

Regardless, as you said, this patch was significantly delayed. Indeed, TW had stated multiple times that the patch had been delayed to allow themselves more time for bugfixing. In that regard, that 1.4.3 still contained so many significant bugs and issues is embarrassing. One can only say "Trust in TW" or "Look forwards to the next patch" so many times.

As I've stated, if TW writes in their patch notes that they have added new perks, then those perks should be working.

This is one thing I'd like to see more of, right now we get "fixed an issue" in the patch notes, when in reality the issue may not be fixed or even made worse. having better clarity of what those fixes were would help players justify those claims.

However, at a certain point fine grain documentation can be such a huge drain on resources that it is not worth doing. I have no idea what their processes are for constructing the patch notes.

I would imagine each team submits their list of changes to a central person who compiles (and perhaps simplifies any overly technical language) and then publishes the changelog.

This is seriously getting embarrassing at this point. I haven't played for months and have been looking forward to play with new patches, but each patch breaks new things, introduces new bugs, doesn't fix what the notes say they fix, and doesn't add any significant amounts of content, I just can't see myself playing the game for a long period of time.
What is going on TW?

Edit: I might add that I actually did try playing the 1.4.3 beta, only to be met with crashes 100% of the time past the character creation screen, so despite what I wrote above, when I actually DID try to play, I was unable to, due to a new colossal bug introduced with the new patch :lol:

Last edited:
Well for the past 2 months or so they were refactoring the code so it didn't make sense to work much into patches. Now that they finished ironing out all that we should be seeing regular patches again.

Honestly I'm not sure why they'd introduce new perks that don't actually work. But hey, its not the most important part of the game.

Placeholders for the interface I think. Although why they didn't just call them placeholders so we would know they were not functioning yet idk.

Do we have any confirmation if the +1 Attribute perks in the Athletics and Smithing trees can push you past 10 attribute points in one stat?

As far as I can see 12 VIG, 12 CTR, 12 END are all possible. Either that, or 10 is the max, and attribute points are refunded?

Also seems like the meta would be going full Athletics first for sure, max that out, then do riding.

Yes, it's the beta branch of an Early Access, but if the patch notes explicitly state new perks were added, those perks should be functioning. Otherwise, what is the point of adding new content?
186b73.jpg

Placeholderlord strikes again. Guess the patch notes look better this way. But this is really sad that they add "new" stuff and then it isn´t even working.

A startling lack of quality control is apparent. If the state of this patch is representative of future patches, I'd be very concerned for the future of the game.

It´s not a lack of quality control there just is no quality control. We are the quality control. And modders are the guys who have to fix this game.

This is genius from TW, saves them a lot of money.

Last edited:
Do we have any confirmation if the +1 Attribute perks in the Athletics and Smithing trees can push you past 10 attribute points in one stat?

As far as I can see 12 VIG, 12 CTR, 12 END are all possible. Either that, or 10 is the max, and attribute points are refunded?

Also seems like the meta would be going full Athletics first for sure, max that out, then do riding.
When I played with import/export (in a much older version) I don't think the game allowed more then 10 in an attribute. Not sure about the refund idea though, but I think it much more likely that it just doesn't raise and you get nothing. If I'm still siting on attributes when I'm ready to demolish my MC's level by smiting maybe I'll try. I be someone with cheat can figure it out faster though.

The athletic perk makes sense because you are fit and hot, so people like you more -> more followers and better persuasion. I think...

Edit: Agree that perks have been disappointing.
I take the other perk cuz **** em. Smithing stamina can gtfo too, but even a tiny, miserly, petty increase to keeping prisoners is MUCH NEEDED.

Honestly I'm not sure why they'd introduce new perks that don't actually work. But hey, its not the most important part of the game.
I'm okay with partially working perk updates, IF they keep on chugging and put out more in a timely matter. I just don't understand why it's so little stuff, unless it's just like they finished what they were doing for 1.4.3 and hurried a threw in the perks too just to appease us. I don't understand the work division of TW. I seems like they must have 40 employees who are janitors or something. They said only 4 or 5 work on the campaign team but how many different teams do they have? I guess I don't know anything though, maybe they have 40 people just trying to fix crashes..... I mean that seem unlikely but.....

I've discussed only the quality of the added content, more specifically, the functionality. As I've stated, if TW writes in their patch notes that they have added new perks, then those perks should be working. That those perks are broken signifies either that TW isn't aware of their incomplete status or that TW doesn't care.

Some of the perks are changes or enhancements to game systems that haven't been implemented yet. For example, in Polearms, there is an ability that gives higher chance of a dismount on hit. But without dismounting being in the game, it obviously isn't going to work. I do agree they shouldn't have advertised them as a positive feature of the patch though.

In fact, just strip the whole perk system out until you've got everything needed in place and only then add it back in.

Back
Top Bottom