Siege Defense AI Excessive blocking and Attacking AI Pathfinding

Users who are viewing this thread

After hundreds of sieges it seems to me like every attacking siege i'm involved in ends up with a hundred man dense colony of militia spearmen posted behind the gatehouse all facing towards the gate with their shields raised and refusing to lower them or attack and continue to only block. Most jarring is whenever you attempt to attack them from behind, they instantly turn and block any attacks with their shields then return to pushing forward against eachother. Combine this with the constant relocation of defending troops to various locations of the castle where they ignore attacking units and just block as they determinedly move to their new positions and all sieges just end up with battling a constant stream of shields put up in my face and culminating in hacking away at a comglomeration of shields behind the gatehouse for a good 30 minutes. Add this to the porblems with dumb AI struggling to climb siege towers and ladders, attacking AI milling around outside the castle and only a small minority drizzling through the broken gates and it leaves bannerlord sieges (in their current state) a repetitive, boring and arduous experience. Sieges being such a major part of singleplayer games but made so lackluster is disheartening for playing the game at all in late game. I really hope these problems are addresses throughout early access but part of me worries the AI will just be glazed over.
Wondering if anyone else experiences the same problems with siege AI, I know some locations are worse than others for buggy siege AI but unfortunately the effects seem prevalent enough in every siege I undertake.

Well yeah. Defender AI is set to form a square behind the gate and just stay there defensively. Ironically the AI would be more effective if it just fought normally, because the square gets surrounded every time and the caught units decimated with ease once the gate has been opened, so I don't really follow your complain of 30 minutes fights, more like 3 minutes.

Well yeah. Defender AI is set to form a square behind the gate and just stay there defensively. Ironically the AI would be more effective if it just fought normally, because the square gets surrounded every time and the caught units decimated with ease once the gate has been opened, so I don't really follow your complain of 30 minutes fights, more like 3 minutes.
Thats beside the point, its not immersive to have defending AI be such lemmings, in what real world siege would that happen, also the problem is more that they just block constantly and don't attack, not so much their location. It takes 30 mintues to break all their shields.

Literally everything about sieges is broken at the moment. How they defend, how they attack, how they react, how they use weapons etc etc. Huge mess.

It's truly inspiring how far they have come within 4 years of development.

I mean this version also has its own flaws and such but still way better than current zombie simulator.

I don't know what happened in the development since then? I guess they scrapped this battle AI due to difficulties certainly not seen here. This siege scene looks much more cohesive and natural than any I have participated in Bannerlord.

Yeah you can stand right in front of them and shoot them in the knees all day. Once in awhile a unit with a throwing weapon may click on it's AI and try to chuck something at you, but by in large they're brain dead fodder. The archers have a dead area too where they just don't see you, even though you can shoot them in the face. It's harder to predict though and when a reinforcement is moving they will see and fire on you. Still you can hide your army and go in and kill the entire garrison and militia alone if you can get to their arrow refills.

Literally everything about sieges is broken at the moment. How they defend, how they attack, how they react, how they use weapons etc etc. Huge mess.

It's truly inspiring how far they have come within 4 years of development.

I mean this version also has its own flaws and such but still way better than current zombie simulator.

Oh, wow!
This looks miles better than any siege I have participated into

This is probably the most irritating thing about Bannerlord, all these siege mechanics appear to be working somewhat in this video. How did they manage to regress from this is not understandable to me?
I think they tried to polish something but messed up. Then they left to fix it until later with all the other things. I really hope this refractoring thing will be the starting point of fixed and additional material coming.

The problem OP is describing mainly exists I think because you can walk around their shield wall on most maps. I had one map where I couldn't get around them and I almost lost that assault.

I suspect the idea is that they phyically block the gatehouse entrance with a wall of shield so the attackers can get bombarded from above within the gatehouse. Except the latter doesn't happen in my experience and it's often too easy to just walk past them and start attacking them in the back.

There is a single "Defensiveness" parameter for formations/troops that can probably creates their over-defensiveness. It shouldn't be too hard to mod I think. I'll probably have a look at it after I updated all my mods to e1.4.3 that just released.

Back
Top Bottom