I hate Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

They said in interviews that MP was created because it was strongly requested by the community, and I'm pretty sure they prioritised player feedback during development too. That had to have made some headway for the series, in addition to all of the other support by the community.

lol that's very true, I was one of those people. I should know better. But still, nobody asked for M&B. They had an idea for a game and they designed and made it.

I can imagine a scenario where when they were designing M&B if players had early access and people complained about directional blocking. "That's not what we want! We want a medieval Counter Strike". The difference is people had no expectations, they played the game and enjoyed it for what it was.

If Bannerlord came out in 2010 and the sequel released now had Warband combat, i'm sure the people who spent 10 years playing BL would be furious.

And again, i'm not saying there aren't good criticisms to be made, or that the game shouldn't change, or that the game is perfect or anything like that, just trying to offer some perspective and hopefully encourage people to be more productive with their criticism, as I believe that's the best way to create positive change.

This might sound odd but wouldn't completely removing the block delay reward gambling? If there was always instant block, you could always just swing blindly and never be punished for it as long as you could block their counter.

I'm not opposed to removing block delay, with a bad connection it can be all the more frustrating, just curious to hear people's thoughts regarding this.

Even with 0 block delay there is still block delay. Human reaction speed and input lag will always create block delay. Having built in block delay is very bad when there is already separate forms of built in block delay.

Even with 0 block delay there is still block delay. Human reaction speed and input lag will always create block delay. Having built in block delay is very bad when there is already separate forms of built in block delay.

But people shouldn't be able to block once they're committed to a swing, right? Sure, during windup you can cancel with RMB for a standard feint, but once the release phase of the attack is initiated, you shouldn't be able to block out of that. Is everyone in agreeance on that or do people consider that block delay?

I just think it should be the same as WB to be honest. Let people cancel the swings up to a certain point. Don't have a ridiculous block delay when there's already inherent block from both reaction time and from the fact that we're all playing online. It's these overly long delays in the wrong place the make the game feel clunky. Another game that has this same problem is Smash Bros Ultimate. Game feels like you're playing with someone on Mars when online because of all the crazy buffers and delays built in to the base. Don't need that crap.

But people shouldn't be able to block once they're committed to a swing, right? Sure, during windup you can cancel with RMB for a standard feint, but once the release phase of the attack is initiated, you shouldn't be able to block out of that. Is everyone in agreeance on that or do people consider that block delay?
We are just asking for the blocking system from Warband that work perfectly and had 0 controversy

Nobody had any problems with the blocking. The feints sure. The blocking no. It was snappy, challenging yet simple, and gave the player a ton of control

That’s attacking not blocking
They're directly tied to each other. The block delay makes it so you can't spam cancels as fast. I'm just saying thats probably a major reason why they implemented the delay in the first place. You can't really reduce the block delay without reintroducing fast cancels again unless you do something else to attack animations I guess, which is probably just as bad of an idea. I personally don't see an issue with WBs feinting but eh.

I dunno if I'd say ZERO controversy. People definitely cried/cry about the feint spamming for example. Which is probably why they did the weird delay stuff in thef irst place.
Feint spamming? lol, it's worse on bannerlord, and ironically, the players who were crying about feints in warband are now the ones abusing the current broken mechanics of Bannerlord. Feints spam existed in Warband, but was it broken? No. All feints could be blocked, all feints had weaknesses, all feints required an actual mastery of the game and skill, unlike bannerlord, yes bannerlord fanboys, sry to tell you that but no the game doesn't rewards skill rn. (I speak in term of gameplay, not visually or about the realism that some people like to mention to sound interesting, even though they have no idea what realism means)

Like Warband, that should depend on the weapon. Being able to "cancel" an attack with a lighter/more balanced weapon into a defensive block isn't unrealistic(if you're one for muh realism arguments), and it gives the player far more control over their game. As a general rule; more player control makes a more enjoyable game to play. Warband hit the sweet spot of penalizing the use of more powerful/heavier/longer weapons by making them unbalanced and not allowing you to cancel your attack after only a small amount of a played attack animation. Whereas the smaller/lighter/less powerful weapons could have the attack cancelled much further into the animation. As another said earlier; human response times and ping are more than enough delay without adding additional artificial layers needlessly. Adding across the board built in delays and hurdles to blocking just infuriates the player, makes the combat based more on gimmicks rather than precision, and makes the player feel as though they're fighting against the game itself rather than the enemy player. Even on paper that isn't good game design, and it's even worse when played.

Feeling like I didn’t control my own players blocks was the reason I truly quit. It was just incredibly frustrating for me

This might sound odd but wouldn't completely removing the block delay reward gambling? If there was always instant block, you could always just swing blindly and never be punished for it as long as you could block their counter.

I'm not opposed to removing block delay, with a bad connection it can be all the more frustrating, just curious to hear people's thoughts regarding this.
With my ping on Warband it already felt like I had block delay, now my ping on the same servers with block delay makes the game feel unplayable and it feels like I'm playing EU ping (180 for me) so yeah it's not the best and it feels like gambling and also Warband wasn't gambling since new players would always block randomly and we would just kill them.

I dunno if I'd say ZERO controversy. People definitely cried/cry about the feint spamming for example. Which is probably why they did the weird delay stuff in thef irst place.

Most people that cried about feint spamming just didn't put enough hours in to get better at the game. It's pretty easy to counter feint spamming which is why in high level dueling you didn't see anyone spam long chains of feints. I do see why some people would complain about Warband's combat though, the skill gap between new players and players that have played for thousands of hours is insane but this is something that competitive matchmaking or an ELO system would solve.

Most people that cried about feint spamming just didn't put enough hours in to get better at the game. It's pretty easy to counter feint spamming which is why in high level dueling you didn't see anyone spam long chains of feints. I do see why some people would complain about Warband's combat though, the skill gap between new players and players that have played for thousands of hours is insane but this is something that competitive matchmaking or an ELO system would solve.
^ you never killed a good player with feints.if they complained about feints that how you knew they where a new guy or sp

Back
Top Bottom