Bannerlord is mis-advertised by the devs on Steam (yes, even taking into account Early Access)

Users who are viewing this thread

My main beef with Taleworlds is that they sold something as Early Access, yet did not even bother to establish active communication channels.

That's what "Early Access" is supposed to be, not just "beta you pay for to submit crash reports and feedback you won't even know if anybody reads." Let's even disregard the fact that, contrary to Steam's own EA guidelines, they decided to completely ignore Steam forums. Highly unprofessional in my opinion, it was their choice of a release platform, could throw some of that fresh cash into at least an intern or two to do some basic communication there. Screw that, we got the "official forum."

And so what? There are tons of fantastic ideas floating around here, but without any feedback from the developers, you can't refine them better. Or know what ideas they are looking for, or what their design direction is for the game - nothing. How the rock-throwing-looters is that even considered "early access?"

There is highly limited amount of content within the game. Something the community itself could do most of the work for them, at least in terms of ideas if not detailed design planning. Which is, in all my early access experience (I do pick the projects I back with some care, so YMMV), what "early access" stands for.

Occasional posts from Duh and Mexxico are very welcome, but hardly fulfill that side of things. The fact that the Feedback and Ideas forum has absolutely no official presence (but hey, they dumped it on "community managers" who know about as much as the rest of us, to better avoid having to do any work in that area), for an Early Access game, would've been hilarious if it wasn't so unprofessional (and boding pretty ill of the direction this project is taking).

They could've easily avoided most (because you'll always get people *****ing about anything anytime) negativity simply maintaining open communication and a degree of transparency when it comes to the development.

"Yes, we know AI campaign code requires work, but we first need to fix this, this, and that before we can meaningfully look at it. Sorry about the unpleasant experience in the meantime. But you could help us by providing your ideas about troop balance and loadout, or anything related - this is our current focus, and it would be most welcome." - is this so hard?

Meanwhile all you people defending current state of the project are doing, regardless of how you think you're "helping" Taleworlds, is to tell them they don't need to change, not really. They can keep doing at the same work flow that already took years (however many you want to acknowledge) to get just to this point. That communication is fine as it is, because a blog about some animator or whomever it was, when a LOT of people are already upset about lack of progress or even information about progress, is peachy. That we don't really need actual honest-to-Ravangad gameplay content within the game, certainly not much more than what minimal amount of it was in base Warband, because "mods will fix it."

That's how you "help" prevent Taleworlds from becoming another success story like CDPR or Warhorse Studios, all the while telling every OTHER large studio in existence "you don't need a polished fully-fleshed out product to make money."

"There is tons to do in Bannerlord if you literally force yourself to sit there gnashing your teeth and play this broken, buggy and half-finished game by inventing tedious little scenarios in your head, instead of playing the many other amazing finished and polished games that you could be investing your valuable time into."

Seriously, someone investing 500 hours of their life into a game in this terrible state is one of the most depressing things that I have read on the forum.

It plays almost-exactly like Warband did for me and I probably put 2K hours into that over the years.

Seriously, someone investing 500 hours of their life into a game in this terrible state is one of the most depressing things that I have read on the forum.

Almost as depressing as someone investing hours spewing out their negativity without any semblance of constructive criticism in a forum for a game they obviously dislike.

" Solo features: Several solo features will be incomplete or missing. This includes, among others, the following elements: full controller support, certain effects of talents and skills, crafts, some aspects of sieges and management of clans, armies and kingdoms. "

That's what they said.
They didn't lied.

The cognitive dissonance is really hard over there.

" Solo features: Several solo features will be incomplete or missing. This includes, among others, the following elements: full controller support, certain effects of talents and skills, crafts, some aspects of sieges and management of clans, armies and kingdoms. "

That's what they said.
They didn't lied.

The cognitive dissonance is really hard over there.

The best part is where they say you should wait for the full release if you want a finished and complete product.

That's what it says, but it's not what it said initially. At first, it had that fluffy bit about ravens, and then basically just said "essentially complete, lots of gameplay but some obscure bugs, this is the final price, more features may or may not come".

You can just look at the archived version of their store page

They absolutely stated that it was incomplete. It would take a great stretch to look at the text under "Why Early Access?" and take away that the product they were selling was essentially complete.

You can just look at the archived version of their store page

They absolutely stated that it was incomplete. It would take a great stretch to look at the text under "Why Early Access?" and take away that the product they were selling was essentially complete.
Don't bring facts into the discussion. The EA description was manipulated by lizard people who tricked us into buying a game we don't like.

Yeah fair enough, I stand corrected that that line may have been in there originally. My mistake, I will make sure to cut TW a bit more slack about that.
However...
It also says this:
“In terms of content, the early access version of the game contains all of the main staples of the Mount & Blade experience, with a host of content that is new to the series. Players can create their own character using the game’s character creation system; explore the continent of Calradia; gather their own warband of troops; command and fight alongside their troops in large scale battles using the game’s extensive command system and intuitive skill-based directional combat system; raid settlements; lay siege to and capture enemy towns and castles; trade items and goods using the game’s deep economy system; engage in politics and diplomacy; manage their own clan; upgrade and manage settlements; gather armies and wage war; and much, much more...

and this:
The early access version of the game contains a wealth of content that will keep players engaged for many hours. While the early access version is very much stable and playable, players can expect to run into some obscure bugs and other issues while playing that we intend to locate and fix before the full release.

Does that really sound like an honest description of the game in its current state? It sure sounds like a load of marketing BS to me, the bolded bits especially.

You also forget to mark:

In terms of content, the early access version of the game contains all of the main staples of the Mount & Blade experience,

It doesn´t have all the main staples of Warband right now. You can´t upgrade villages, there are no feasts, you can´t give commands to your vassals/parties.

And most of their new content does nothing right now, like children, most of the perks or traits.

Last edited:
You also forget to mark:

It doesn´t have all the main staples of Warband right now. You can´t upgrade villages, there are no feasts, you can´t give commands to your vassals/parties.

And most of their new content does nothing right now, like children, most of the perks or traits.
They aren't main staples. Hopefully these things get added to the game before end of EA though.
Warband wasn't a feast simulator.

Last edited:
Yeah fair enough, I stand corrected that that line may have been in there originally. My mistake, I will make sure to cut TW a bit more slack about that.
However...
It also says this:
“In terms of content, the early access version of the game contains all of the main staples of the Mount & Blade experience, with a host of content that is new to the series. Players can create their own character using the game’s character creation system; explore the continent of Calradia; gather their own warband of troops; command and fight alongside their troops in large scale battles using the game’s extensive command system and intuitive skill-based directional combat system; raid settlements; lay siege to and capture enemy towns and castles; trade items and goods using the game’s deep economy system; engage in politics and diplomacy; manage their own clan; upgrade and manage settlements; gather armies and wage war; and much, much more...

and this:
The early access version of the game contains a wealth of content that will keep players engaged for many hours. While the early access version is very much stable and playable, players can expect to run into some obscure bugs and other issues while playing that we intend to locate and fix before the full release.

Does that really sound like an honest description of the game in its current state? It sure sounds like a load of marketing BS to me, the bolded bits especially.
So out of 10 items 2 aren't as you expected. Let's not forget that parts of these features aren't missing but simply unfinished.
It also doesn't help that you ignore all the paragraphs where they tell you the game isn't complete. If your quote would be the entire EA description I would agree that it's mostly marketing BS, but it isn't.

It also doesn't help that you ignore all the paragraphs where they tell you the game isn't complete.

What paragraphs? They mention it in the auto-blurb from Steam (which means nothing since it's on all EA games irrespective of their status), and in two sub-points under "why EA": Localization and Singleplayer features. So there's one perhaps pertinent place where they say certain things "may be" incomplete or missing. Contrast the bits I quoted which are from the headlined sections "What is the current state of the Early Access version?" and "How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?". So, I ignore it because the rest of the text paints a picture of the incomplete things being minor, like missing localization, more diverse layouts for cities or "obscure bugs" - all in the service of trying to make the game sound way more complete than it was (or is).

So, in conclusion: It's marketing drivel, deliberately designed to hide the true state of the game. If you're okay with that, well, that's your prerogative. Personally, I held TW to a higher standard.

these features aren't missing but simply unfinished
What's the difference? Practically speaking, it's the exact same thing.

What paragraphs? They mention it in the auto-blurb from Steam (which means nothing since it's on all EA games irrespective of their status), and in two sub-points under "why EA": Localization and Singleplayer features. So there's one perhaps pertinent place where they say certain things "may be" incomplete or missing. Contrast the bits I quoted which are from the headlined sections "What is the current state of the Early Access version?" and "How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?". So, I ignore it because the rest of the text paints a picture of the incomplete things being minor, like missing localization, more diverse layouts for cities or "obscure bugs" - all in the service of trying to make the game sound way more complete than it was (or is).

So, in conclusion: It's marketing drivel, deliberately designed to hide the true state of the game. If you're okay with that, well, that's your prerogative. Personally, I held TW to a higher standard.

What's the difference? Practically speaking, it's the exact same thing.
I guess you need to read it again. ?‍♂️

What about beeing able to command parties/vassals, also not a main staple? So Warband always only was about battles and nothing else?
"Singleplayer Features: Several planned single player features may be missing or incomplete. These include but are not limited to: full game controller support, some skill and perk effects, crafting, some aspects of sieges, and clan, army and kingdom management."

Back
Top Bottom