Why this obsession with perks?

Users who are viewing this thread

I know that installing community mod with all implemented and working perks decisively solves the problem, try it and stop restarting Your campaign :smile:

I'm more obsessed with the junk from Smithing showing up in stores and tourney rewards
Right?

I try very hard not to touch smithing right now (despite the fact that it's very handy, and not just for cheesing the game), simply because having these items tagged as merchandise tends to screw with other parts of the game.

When you finally grind up to that 5-6 clan tier, set up well-functioning workshop, babysit your town to high prosperity, only to see your old custom weapons fill out the "high quality mechandize slots" you put so much effort into unlocking, it's a table-flip moment.

Back on topic... I think the reason you see perks mentioned so often is a combination of immediate gratification, character development being what a lot of people play this game for, and the fact that compared to other elements they really should NOT be something so difficult and time-consuming to implement, especially in the unimaginative way they are being implemented in the first place.

The limited amout of time it took moders to get them to work completely aside.

Somebody mentioned they were going to be a good litmus test of TW's development capacity, and so far it's horribly depressing how badly it's going.

If you're unlocking smithing just to make weapons to use, can't you just break down the weapons you produce instead of selling them? While you are raising the skill.

Right?

I try very hard not to touch smithing right now (despite the fact that it's very handy, and not just for cheesing the game), simply because having these items tagged as merchandise tends to screw with other parts of the game.

When you finally grind up to that 5-6 clan tier, set up well-functioning workshop, babysit your town to high prosperity, only to see your old custom weapons fill out the "high quality mechandize slots" you put so much effort into unlocking, it's a table-flip moment.
That's so true. I'm using this mod, Royal Armory, which makes high tier equipment available to buy at town keeps, but you have to pay a decent price just to access it, and the amount of stuff in stock is determined by the towns prosperity level, so its a small assortment of expensive stuff to buy. So I unlock the armory for about 6,000d only to find that half the stuff for sale is my own crafted junk! I felt totally ripped off.

If you're unlocking smithing just to make weapons to use, can't you just break down the weapons you produce instead of selling them? While you are raising the skill.

It doesn't matter. Even if you immediately smelt it after making it, it still winds up as merchandise and you start to see it all over the place.

True, but you shouldnt have to. Sometimes it makes sense to sell the weapon. player created items should be sifted out of the game somehow, maybe just replace them with gold once an NPC tries to trade it.

Somebody mentioned they were going to be a good litmus test of TW's development capacity, and so far it's horribly depressing how badly it's going.

Exactly. We're beginning to see precisely why the game took so long in development and was released, seemingly, in such an early and rough state with much of the game being placeholder.

I imagine people were expecting a competent early access like Divinity, Subnautica or KSP. When in actuality TW may have a lot more in common (as far as development goes) with Bohemia and DayZ.

Exactly. We're beginning to see precisely why the game took so long in development and was released, seemingly, in such an early and rough state with much of the game being placeholder.

I imagine people were expecting a competent early access like Divinity, Subnautica or KSP. When in actuality TW may have a lot more in common (as far as development goes) with Bohemia and DayZ.

For that to be true, it would mean that the bulk of TWs dev team is no longer working on the game.

I think the biggest issue with perks is the balancing. What ever they give us the ai also gets so imagine fighting 100 of you but 10x stronger out the gate.

Just to be clear, the crafted weapons showing up at random in the game are being generated as part of the market and tournament systems. Once you create a weapon, the game feels free to spam it into the game every place it can.

Just to be clear, the crafted weapons showing up at random in the game are being generated as part of the market and tournament systems. Once you create a weapon, the game feels free to spam it into the game every place it can.

And that has always looked like a bug to me, honestly. Although maybe it's intended.

For me perks matter because they're an integral part of the progression system. After you get millions in cash, several cities, hundreds of top tier units, there's very little for you to do anymore. And unlocking perks becomes a new goal for you. But if the majority of those perks do not work, then why even bother? It feels unrewarding.

I don't like the perk system, the smithing and also trading. But if it is in the game, it should work. The perks are big fat auspicious promises, so them not working hurts a lot of people.

I always find that this is one of the best things about sandbox games. Something that one person doesn't really care too much about, others see as a key feature. Just goes to show how many different aspects to the game there are I guess.

And for those waiting on an update to perks, unfortunately, you need to wait a little longer as they are still currently being reworked. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom