MP Battania is Extremely Underpowered in captains mode

Users who are viewing this thread

We took an opinion poll in our Captains Mode focused discord about who people thought was the worst faction in captains mode:
BattaniaSucks.png

In addition to the general perception of Battania we have match data from our captains mode June 6th tournament that supports this:
unknown.png

The players who participated in these matches are highly skilled from some of the top bannerlord clans that exist for captains mode. While this may not be an indication or representation of how Battania performs in all public matches, this was the result of our private event with full organized teams. This result is not at all surprising to those who are experienced in this game mode, and I doubt it's surprising to the developers.

While I may not know the exact answer of what to do with Battania, It is clear that SOMETHING must be done to make Battania a stronger and more competitive faction in captains mode games.

If you have any suggestions leave them in this thread so the devs can get additional ideas.

I think that the problem lies in the “specificity” of the development of Battania classes and their equipment / perks (the main problem in infantry). This fraction is the best example of the contradictions between perks / equipment and "design" (I still take the classes of Battania only in accordance with the main features of the classes and conjectures, because in the case of "Oathsworn", the appearance / perks in practice are false).

All fractions have specificity / contradictions in the perks and basic equipment, but in the case of Battania, this is already a chaotic set.

Last edited:
Speed boosts!

Oathsworn should be able to be chased down by sergeants and heavy infantry.

Rangers and fians should be able to out run voulgiers and berserkers.

Then they need to separate the classes and make them independent of gamemodes because they can't possibly hope to keep a balance between Skirmish and Captains Mode, because both modes are completely different.

Its also the least-armored heavy armor unit if i'm not mistaken?

Then they need to separate the classes and make them independent of gamemodes because they can't possibly hope to keep a balance between Skirmish and Captains Mode, because both modes are completely different.

Its also the least-armored heavy armor unit if i'm not mistaken?
I dont think so, I think thats vlandian heavy inf but dont quote me on that, im not sure.

They tried buffing battania by adding +1 troop to basically every unit in captains mode, but that still wasn't nearly enough to give them even a remote boost in power. If they want to make Battania a competitive faction without messing with the balance of the other two mp game modes then they need to add even more units than just +1. For starters +3 troops for each Battanian unit would be a good place to begin. Some maps with Battania end up being an automatic loss due to their inability to win melee fights against other factions with stronger units.

Archers should never outrun infantry, it'll demolish what little usefullness infantry have outside of Captains mode.
Agreed, I'm guessing they want it all to feel the same regardless of the gamemode you're on, which I agree with in theory, but practically its...problematic

@AVRC I know you guys are aware of the issues with Battania in captains mode, but I am eager to know what is being planned as far as a fix? +1 to battanian troops simply wasn't enough the first time around, so I hope the developers will be changing their approach to this issue in the next patch. I love this mode by the way, I see it becoming even greater in the future! Especially with the addition of new maps :smile:

Last edited:
@AVRC I know you guys are aware of the issues with Battania in captains mode, but I am eager to know what is being planned as far as a fix? +1 to battanian troops simply wasn't enough the first time around, so I hope the developers will be changing their approach to this issue in the next patch. I love this mode by the way, I see it becoming even greater in the future! Especially with the addition of new maps :smile:
Yeah we are aware, the last changes had less effect than anticipated so the next changes will be more substantial. Currently Battania is still under performing significantly and Empire is over performing along with Vlandia.

We will address these in the coming patch.
Also, we have a test for new Captain Mode maps today, looking forward to adding some of them in the near future :smile:

Yeah we are aware, the last changes had less effect than anticipated so the next changes will be more substantial. Currently Battania is still under performing significantly and Empire is over performing along with Vlandia.

We will address these in the coming patch.
Also, we have a test for new Captain Mode maps today, looking forward to adding some of them in the near future :smile:

Great to hear! We would love to get patch notes for these changes, even if they're minor ones :smile:

I'd say that your data matches our perceptions, with Battania being standout weak and Empire and Vlandia generally perceived as strong. However, I think that's not the complete picture. Ranged classes are quite subpar compared to other classes at the moment, meaning that factions that rely on ranged: Aserai, Battania, and Khuzait, are the worst factions.

If you're curious about the perceived meta (based on current tournaments and pub play), I made a spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Bt1Pft-f5i01DtCQ93Sab72s4khIPf7miH1Xtxl20A/edit?usp=sharing

Preview:
KENzo6A.png

It pains me to include Syllianon on the sheet, because we dislike the map so much that we've banned it from tournaments, but I included it for the sake of completion. I really hope that map will get some changes.

Great to hear! We would love to get patch notes for these changes, even if they're minor ones :smile:

I'd say that your data matches our perceptions, with Battania being standout weak and Empire and Vlandia generally perceived as strong. However, I think that's not the complete picture. Ranged classes are quite subpar compared to other classes at the moment, meaning that factions that rely on ranged: Aserai, Battania, and Khuzait, are the worst factions.

If you're curious about the perceived meta (based on current tournaments and pub play), I made a spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Bt1Pft-f5i01DtCQ93Sab72s4khIPf7miH1Xtxl20A/edit?usp=sharing

Preview:
KENzo6A.png

It pains me to include Syllianon on the sheet, because we dislike the map so much that we've banned it from tournaments, but I included it for the sake of completion. I really hope that map will get some changes.

Yeah Syllianon needs to be removed and reworked. A massive shame as it's such a nice looking map! Just no strategy what-so-ever.

Preview:
KENzo6A.png

Thanks for the info, you league stats are quite similar to our analytics data, just a bit more skewed due to competitiveness :smile: We will take care of all faction unbalance.

I would love to hear about the issues regarding Syllianon. I will forward the feedback to the designer to see how we can improve it.

Thanks for the info, you league stats are quite similar to our analytics data, just a bit more skewed due to competitiveness :smile: We will take care of all faction unbalance.

I would love to hear about the issues regarding Syllianon. I will forward the feedback to the designer to see how we can improve it.
The issues with Syllianona are the Spawn location. It is the only map that spawn are next to each other and the "Market" middle of the two spawns just becomes a battle most of the time when teams F1 F3 at the start to get there first. Now when teams go A or C. It changes things but the flank around either side is hard to counter because archer and cavalry are hard to use on the map. The only good fights that happen are on B flag. So much can happen at B flag such as big flanks, archers have over view of the point, even cavalry can be useful. Just my experience with over 1k wins just in captains mode. I don't hate the map just needs work.

Syllianon needs to be opened up a little more, the streets are incredibly narrow and there are too many buildings blocking line of sight, making Cavalry and Archer units nearly useless, as well as making it difficult to navigate and command your units. Most matches end up becoming an all out Melee brawl in the "market" area, and typically don't last more than 5 minutes, basically becoming a giant dice roll to determine who is the winner. The matches where people go to A or C are different, however there simply isn't enough open space or room to allow for the less "melee focused" factions to win very often. Battania's weaknesses are amplified when playing on Syllianon, as they will have an incredibly rough time beating any strong melee faction. I think if the designer were to remove some of the building clusters to allow for more ranged attacks, and opened up the streets slightly to be less narrow for cavalry, Syllianon could become a very enjoyable map to play. But in the maps current state the majority of us believe that it does not present a fair or balanced platform for all the different factions to be able to compete on.

Because it will take so damn long for Syllianon to become truly playable for every faction the best course of action is just to remove it from the queue, it's really boring to play now everyone knows what they are doing.

More space both in terms of street width but also map size. Have more of the streets and buildings.

Also differentiating a and c flags. Maybe 1 as a distinct building instead of just the incline. On the remain hill, instead of buildings totally blocking path have then be low walls or such so archer gain cover but can still fire.

Back
Top Bottom