What determines the Horse chosen for upgrading cavalry units?

Users who are viewing this thread

so in this game, upgrading cavalry units need horses and war horses from your inventory.
but what determines which horse gets chosen?

This just happened to me: i had around 20+ of every type of horse in the game except the rare ones like the Battanian Thoroughbred and when i upgraded my Mameluke soldier to cavalry, they took my Battanian Thoroughbred !!! its not even alphabetically earlier than the Battanian Pony. When i upgraded them further, they used up my Aserai horses. why did they consume my rare Thoroughbred? this has never happened to me before with any of the rare horses like Asaligat, Tyal horse, Nahasawi, Destrier, or even the Battanian Thoroughbred.

I think it's random, only thing that matter is it horse or war horse.
But the worst thing is that special horses whit name are also used to upgrade units, I lost my high tier horse won on tournament few times now :sad:

Did you try "locking" the horse you want to keep? I have 1 Asaligat in my inventory that has been there for a long time. Locking doesn't seem to completely prevent to horse from getting used up in upgrade, I still lost other locked warhorses, when I ran low on war horses, but it might help push them down the list. However, I did not keep track precisely of my number of horses, so I might be mistaken. I'm sure about my Asaligat not getting lost though.

It doesn't help in my case, but good workaround is giving the horse to companion or living it in town storage, if u have one. But in 1.4.1 all captured towns go to faction leaders :wink:

I think it's random, only thing that matter is it horse or war horse.
But the worst thing is that special horses whit name are also used to upgrade units, I lost my high tier horse won on tournament few times now :sad:

Yep, I've lost a couple this way just recently.

It doesn't help in my case, but good workaround is giving the horse to companion or living it in town storage, if u have one.

Yes, this too is my plan going forward, for now.

There are horses and there are "warhorses". It's indicated on the tooltip and in the info panel. Some cavalry needs horses to upgrade and others need warhorses to upgrade. Other then that my impression so far was that game chooses the cheapest of the type needed to upgrade. For example when choosing between lame asserai horses and asserai horses, game choose lame ones for upgrade.

But I can't 100% confirm that as I wasn't doing any specific testing, only observing as playing.

It doesn't help in my case, but good workaround is giving the horse to companion or living it in town storage, if u have one. But in 1.4.1 all captured towns go to faction leaders :wink:
Town storage?? There is no public or private stable I'm aware of. I would love for there to be a "loot closet" where you can stash weapons, armors, horses, etc., you don't plan to sell right away. If you could establish one in a castle you own, it would be fair to lose the contents if an enemy successfully sieges it - that would certainly give you an incentive to drop what you're doing and ride to the rescue!

I was thinking about a storage in the town you own. I hope that they add the storage in castles also

Did you try "locking" the horse you want to keep? I have 1 Asaligat in my inventory that has been there for a long time. Locking doesn't seem to completely prevent to horse from getting used up in upgrade, I still lost other locked warhorses, when I ran low on war horses, but it might help push them down the list. However, I did not keep track precisely of my number of horses, so I might be mistaken. I'm sure about my Asaligat not getting lost though.
I'll try locking them. pretty sure it will help unless i don't have enough horses which never happens. thanks for the tip

I never paid attention until i lost my rare horse i was saving for my wife that's not currently in my party right now. super cheesed

I'm pretty sure the game uses the most valuable horse in your inventory first, the opposite of how it should be.
Hey at the point they are getting upgraded enough to need a warhorse they usually have better armour than the player so why skimp on the pony? Joking aside it has always felt somewhat random to me which horse get's taken from my limited experience. Although you do notice a lot more when the expensive ones go so it does seem to have a preference for them.
Personally I think that it would be interesting if you had to upgrade cavalry with an appropriate horse for the culture, albeit you would have to tweak the prices of the Aserai and maybe Imperial ones to make it fair. Might lead to a bit too much micromanagement to be a worthwhile addition though.

The listed order of war horses in the inventory.
i wish that was the case but the game prioritized my Battanian Thoroughbred over Battanian Pony. when the ponies were ahead in the inventory slot.

Hey at the point they are getting upgraded enough to need a warhorse they usually have better armour than the player so why skimp on the pony?
I don't think it makes a difference what horse is removed from your inventory, the unit's horse will be a default placeholder one like every other unit of the same type. but i'm not 1000% sure about that.

I could at least stomach my best horses getting taken for upgrades if the stats of the horse actually effected the final stats of the unit. You want to use my Aserai War Horse for an upgrade then the unit better have the speed of the Aserai War Horse.

Whichever horse makes you angriest to lose to an upgrade, that''s the one that gets picked.
^The real truth

Doesn't work, you are very lucky they didn't eat your Asaligat! Twice I've won 1 from a tourney at the start of the game and couldn't ride it yet and accidentally got it taken by a stupid unit! My favorite horse for sure because it's kinda slow but great maneuver, so as you riding gets super high it never gets too fast like some other horses do, but handles super smooth for weaven around arrows and spears!

I think we should get a refund horse when we upgrade with a warhorse! What happens to the regular horse? He send it home to his wife and kids?

I think we should get a refund horse when we upgrade with a warhorse! What happens to the regular horse? He send it home to his wife and kids?
To be fair, historically, war riders were recorded to bring multiple horses with them on campaign, to carry their gears and to have multiple fresh mounts for both travel and battle.

I think that's what they are going for here in Bannerlord. Light cavalries ride on light horses, and heavy cavalries need dedicated heavy war horses and use the old light horses for baggage and as spare mount, etc..

I think that makes enough sense.

I just won the Husnphree(?) camel & left town ; noticed I could upgrade a steppe nomad to a tier 1 horse archer, went ahead & my riding lv90 camel vanishes ; its not even in battle scenes

Back
Top Bottom