Does Sturgia own too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

I find that Sturgia actually performs better not owning the Varcheg and Revyl and i was notice owning those towns actually make them defend too much maybe another faction far down the line could take those cities or something what do you guys think should sturgia be smaller?

It's been brought up before here. Their territory's breadth makes it harder to hold, since their armies have to spend so much time in transit to get from one end to the other. From my experience, two-front wars practically seal their doom, and these have always happened in the opening months of my campaigns. Strugia shouldn't be smaller, it should be reshaped to be less of a ribbon. Shrinking Strugia would be a band-aid fix, allowing them to use their western choke point more effectively, but it obviously shrinks their economic and manpower base.

I would like to see the whole overworld map reworked, but it's secondary to getting core gameplay mechanics right now. The map doesn't have to be fully balanced, but it should give every AI kingdom a decent chance to win early wars.

Isn´t there something wrong overall when a kingdom is stronger with fewer towns? I mean their towns are at least "connected".

That´s an AI issue in my opinion. Lot of issues come down to AI or the lack of any AI.

Would give the space for a Warband style Nord and Rus faction split of Sturgia which I think would make people happy. That said this is designed to show how things got to the state they are in Warband and so it feels fairly realistic that the Rus side (Sturgia) lost lots of it's original territory to become the Vaegirs as I've let to do a playthrough where they kept Varcheg and Revyl ; )

Would give the space for a Warband style Nord and Rus faction split of Sturgia which I think would make people happy. That said this is designed to show how things got to the state they are in Warband and so it feels fairly realistic that the Rus side (Sturgia) lost lots of it's original territory to become the Vaegirs as I've let to do a playthrough where they kept Varcheg and Revyl ; )
That's kinda what i was getting at a nord and rus faction split however i do agree with what Zetsar said the map probably should just be reworked for a sturgia fix but other fixes come first obviously

currently sturgia is barely holding onto Revyl in my game it has improved in the patches they just have a hard time fighting on two fronts

Yeah their fiefs are too far apart making them difficult to defend in time. Their trait, making it quicker to travel through snow, was also not working which exacerbated the problem. I think that may have been fixed already though.

Yeah their fiefs are too far apart making them difficult to defend in time. Their trait, making it quicker to travel through snow, was also not working which exacerbated the problem. I think that may have been fixed already though.
snow trait is implemented but i thought that meant for in a battle not a map speed

I like the Rus-Viking nature of Sturgia, but I wouldn't mind having a purely Nord faction come out on ships and a purely Slavic faction roaming the northeastern edge of the map.

Sturgia sharing borders with both Vlandia and Khuzait is their main problem. Both of those countries have fast armies and are in isolated locations? How do you defend against two countries with cavalry armies that start isolated when you have a slow army and a massive territory to defend? You don't. You lose.

Last edited:
Sturgia sharing borders with both Vlandia and Khuzait is their main problem. Both of those countries have fast armies and are in isolated locations? How do you defend against two countries with cavalry armies that start isolated when you have a slow army and a massive territory to defend? You don't. You lose.
yeah exactly can't understand why they made the decision to have sturgia in such a situation in the first place

Sturgia currently being picked apart like a roast chicken in my latest campaign... Vlandia, Battania, NE and Khuzait all having a great feast. Yes, Sturgia needs some strategic advantage otherwise their position will continue to remain untenable. I wasn't aware of the snow trait bonus, as most of my recent campaigns have been more focused in the south, but it sounds like the sort of thing that Sturgia really needs to stay in the game.

It's been brought up before here. Their territory's breadth makes it harder to hold, since their armies have to spend so much time in transit to get from one end to the other. From my experience, two-front wars practically seal their doom, and these have always happened in the opening months of my campaigns. Strugia shouldn't be smaller, it should be reshaped to be less of a ribbon. Shrinking Strugia would be a band-aid fix, allowing them to use their western choke point more effectively, but it obviously shrinks their economic and manpower base.

I would like to see the whole overworld map reworked, but it's secondary to getting core gameplay mechanics right now. The map doesn't have to be fully balanced, but it should give every AI kingdom a decent chance to win early wars.

^^^ What he said. I have rolled with Sturgia both campaigns I played. Had to kill off the nobles of most of 2/3 of the Empire factions to keep them alive.

Sturgia currently being picked apart like a roast chicken in my latest campaign... Vlandia, Battania, NE and Khuzait all having a great feast. Yes, Sturgia needs some strategic advantage otherwise their position will continue to remain untenable. I wasn't aware of the snow trait bonus, as most of my recent campaigns have been more focused in the south, but it sounds like the sort of thing that Sturgia really needs to stay in the game.

Back when I was actually observing Sturgia, it wasn't that their armies were too slow. It was that they had a few key points with most of their land being one giant tube. No matter how fast they were, if they have an army at Tyal, it can't escape. Same story with Reyvl. And once they get one of their big stacks wiped out the snowball starts rolling against them. It is particularly noticeable when they lose Tyal or Revyl and repeatedly welp in attempts to retake the town, then get an army around Sibir or Omor; their own lords can't or won't go around, so it effectively slices their realm in half right there.

Omor especially should have some kind of serious priority from the campaign AI and stuffed to the gills with troops to prevent an easy siege.

Back when I was actually observing Sturgia, it wasn't that their armies were too slow. It was that they had a few key points with most of their land being one giant tube. No matter how fast they were, if they have an army at Tyal, it can't escape. Same story with Reyvl. And once they get one of their big stacks wiped out the snowball starts rolling against them.
Good points re Tyal and Revyl, they are very isolated and very hard to support. In my recent restarts, Varcheg has always fallen to Vlandia very quickly and this of course contributes to Revyl's isolation and eventual downfall. Unless they can get an early break, and capture another town or two to relieve the situation, Sturgia usually ends up with just the three core towns in the middle, Balgard, Sibir, and Varnovapol. With the loss of resource base and clans, it's very hard for Sturgia to bounce back after that. Well that's been my experience anyway.

Back
Top Bottom