I don't get all the hate

Users who are viewing this thread

Sorry, I though you can vote once... or may be you know most of the 100k players who made a positive review?

What I mean is that you can't use steam reviews to judge whether the game is well made, or even if people enjoy it. Most of the time if a game has bad reviews it's because people bought the game and later something in the franchise was changed which they didn't like, so they reviewbomb it.
It's a similar situation with masses of positive reviews too. Games which have been long anticipated usually have loads of "reviews" in the first few hours with meme responses like "been waiting for this lol", with the stats showing that they only had a few minutes of playtime when they wrote it. Just look at the breakdown here and you'll see what I mean:

Perhaps if they didn't take over two weeks (and... what, four hot-fixes by now?) to correct something as simple as an out-of-place decimal point (see the issue with one-handed top perk), people would be less inclined to complain.
If people can wait 8 years for the game to be on early access, I'm sure 1 more year of fixes, adjustments, and improvements is no cause for concern. And I'm fairly certain a mere 'out-of-place decimal point' is nothing to sneeze at.

If people can wait 8 years for the game to be on early access, I'm sure 1 more year of fixes, adjustments, and improvements is no cause for concern. And I'm fairly certain a mere 'out-of-place decimal point' is nothing to sneeze at.
The whole point is that the game won't get anywhere if it takes Taleworlds that long just to fix a decimal point issue, much less anything more complex.

I can't even play right now because one of the more recent patches introduced a new bug that makes Bannerlord unable to handle anything but default My Documents location (they probably are looking up the wrong registry key). Something that have been working until then without any problem. I've provided all the extensive information I could gather on my own without doing detailed code analysist with dnSpy (and it's not really a tool I can comfortably use to do code inspection of something that low-level), and can't even get a "ok, we'll check this" in the tech support thread from them. Since early Monday morning.

But they are busy inspecting save game files from people who had OneDrive override the MyDocuments default location, and get the same problem as I do right now instead. A problem which, in all likelihood considering it hasn't been reported before my issue occurred as well, is probably caused by the very same change in how user files location lookup was changed in the more recent patches.

Instead of checking whatever changes were done to the save system, in particular determining user files save location. FFS, simply reverting to 1.3.1 version of Bannerlord fixes the problem (at least for me - and I strongly suspect might also do so for OneDrive-issue affected people, but I'm not TW's QA lead so can't get anybody to verify it that easily), the problem did not exist until either 05/22 or 05/29 hotfix (I got both of them at once after not-playing for a week, but looking at other people's reports of issues it's most likely 05/22 hotfix that borked things up). That should be all the information required for competent programmers to zero-in on the problem, and I fail to see what "save game" files have to do with any of this, since the game crashes precisely because it can't correctly access the location of save files in the first place.

tl;dr: If a simple decimal point that causes a major and immediately noticeable issue (combat-related, to boot, so basically the core gameplay subsystem) doesn't get corrected in two weeks, good luck getting the game in any kind of decent state before the declared EA period is up, even in its current barebones state, much less something more elaborate.

Here we go again.....
It is a scope of time..you would think 10 years would have produced a stronger foundation of a game. Especially since this is the third iteration.

Ever since people started to confront and stand up to white knights and fan boys, the tensions have toned down.

This is a 2 part reaction. First they’ve had more time to play game and realize what others are saying.

Try exploring every custom map, play every siege map as defender. Do a couple full play throughs.

Second, people defending TW probably thought they were in majority. When in fact maybe 60% or more have concerns.

I’d like to know they will properly finish the game. I don’t care if it takes another 8 years. Just communicate this.

Because facts come with context. People use steam reviews like the like / dislike bar on YouTube more than actual qualitative judgements. If you saw the bad user reviews for battlefield V for example, you would assume the game is terrible, but most people were just mad about this one trailer which had a woman in it.

You can scroll through the bannerlord reviews and most of them are just the equivalent of "+1" or a like, added minutes after the game came out. A much more striking fact to use in this situation is the amount of players, which has plummeted by a factor of 20, or the amount of streamers, which has gone from around 1000 to less than 10 (at peak times) in just a few weeks.

I don't get all the hate
I think they do not do a good at prioritizing what should be done.

I think you understand after all.
Just because you know the game has issues doesn't mean you have to personally insult developers, hating and criticizing are two very different things, I guess that people with anonymous identities cant see the difference or constantly look sideways so they dont feel bad about it

100k positive reviews and you say the are not valid? Why many people don’t let facts get in the way of their cherished beliefs?

The game was frontloaded with enough content to make it seem much deeper/complete/functional for the first hours of the first playthrough, probably intentionally since the vast majority of reviews (professional and regular Steam ones) are made after a relatively short amount of playtime.

Just because you know the game has issues doesn't mean you have to personally insult developers, hating and criticizing are two very different things, I guess that people with anonymous identities cant see the difference or constantly look sideways so they dont feel bad about it
They're just expressing themselves differently. Some people feel good when they articulate their complaint. Some people feel good when they say something mean and cuss. An emergent part of our culture is people exaggerating and melting down over things for attention and dramatic effect. Thanks to mobile phone and 15 second videos, everything has to be BAM and a 1 liner or people just ignore it.

The game was frontloaded with enough content to make it seem much deeper/complete/functional for the first hours of the first playthrough, probably intentionally since the vast majority of reviews (professional and regular Steam ones) are made after a relatively short amount of playtime.

Exactly. The game is a tech demo. It is front loaded with enough content to boost people’s initial impression and get them past refund period and leads to positive reviews. But the tech demo and that initial content is shallow. Like a billboard, you realize when you pass it. “Oh ****, this whole place is made of cardboard and it’s falling apart, blowing in the wind.” My question is will they complete the game, will TW add depth?

Yeah, what the hell, why did they hype that up so much? Literally just the ability to start fights in the towns would have made the interactions in the towns next level.

You actually can start a fight with thugs. But you don't get anything out of it so it's fairly useless.

So far so bad. Let's see what they do with it long term though, it's not like we have an alternative to that.

You actually can start a fight with thugs. But you don't get anything out of it so it's fairly useless.

So far so bad. Let's see what they do with it long term though, it's not like we have an alternative to that.
I'm aware, it's scripted and meaningless though, I'm talking about the ability to insult someone or just randomly attack people like it's Red Dead Redemption 2, but there is absolutely nothing to do in the towns, and they feel deader than your great-great-great Grandfather's corpse. Oh, but at least there are completely broken and stupid board games! Which feel like they were worked on for an hour or two and never touched again. The game is such a well thought out, amazing, flawless masterpiece, isn't it? It greatly expands upon the original. Just like Todd Howard said, "It just works." Flawlessly demonstrated for instance when your men all get stuck at the base of a ladder and refuse to climb it, therefore losing you the entire battle. Or when you're in an open field and your men run around in circles getting shot to hell! Or better yet, grinding through painfully choring and boring quests that somehow, someway, by the Devil's will, manage to be significantly worse, more tedious, more boring, and more repetitive than Warband's barebones quests.

Yeah, it's Early Access. But after 8 goddamn years in development, it's still very early in development, and aside from balance and technical issues, it is just not a real improvement to the previous games. In some ways, the game has taken steps forward, and in a plethora of other ways, it steps backward.

What I mean is that you can't use steam reviews to judge whether the game is well made, or even if people enjoy it.
Erm, you totally can - just click the filter for playtime 10h+ or even 100h+ - These are legit reviews with a lot of playtime.
And there are lots of detailed reviews on the frontpage voted up as the most helpful ones.

There is also a system in place now where review bombing for offtopic gets marked by steam and don't count for the overall rating (You can still read them)

Or better yet, grinding through painfully choring and boring quests that somehow, someway, by the Devil's will, manage to be significantly worse, more tedious, more boring, and more repetitive than Warband's barebones quests.
It takes a talent to make quests so boring. Even on a relatively fun quest, like the gang leader turf battle, they go and make you wait 3 days for the fight, so you have to hang around in the area for all that time.

At least they added the ability to let your companions do those quests, but then they'll need like 25 guys and 30 days to take some cattle to the next town.

I'm aware, it's scripted and meaningless though, I'm talking about the ability to insult someone or just randomly attack people like it's Red Dead Redemption 2, but there is absolutely nothing to do in the towns, and they feel deader than your great-great-great Grandfather's corpse.

This in my opinion would seriously heighten town enjoyment. Obviously itd be somewhat of a big job for them now with all the other unfinished business, but honestly would be worth the effort imo.

Back
Top Bottom