Beta Patch Notes e1.4.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running into the same problem myself. Old save from 1.4.1, tried proposing peace and it crashed. Saved the old 1.4.1 in 1.4.2 and still crashed. I'm new to the forums, how would I PM you the save game?
Same for me as well. Continuing a save from 1.41 and CTD every time a peace decision comes up. Twice on campaign map when scroll icon popped up about deciding on peace and I clicked on it, immediate CTD. The also when I ignored it after a while the Kingdom screen popped up and said must resolve peace issue and I clicked on it and again CTD!

Very frustrating....not sure how to get around the issue. Also Game froze when trying to convince an opposing noble to come over to our side after encounter. Froze on click to continue after initial conversation choice

That's my bad, I forget that most people on this playing M&B don't really care or know much about the multiplayer.
To give you an example of what I'm talking about, the issues that I'm referring to, have a look at this thread.

It's really not just a problem for multiplayer, it also affects singleplayer games. In SP people just don't notice as much because you fight vs bots and you can compensate for things (e.g. eventually you get good at chopping heads from a horse despite the horrible hitbox). But the raw mechanic of combat is horrible when compared to Warband, and this is the biggest issue with the game right now. Like it is the whole point of the game, that's the one thing that has to work right.

It's really not just a problem for multiplayer, it also affects singleplayer games. In SP people just don't notice as much because you fight vs bots and you can compensate for things (e.g. eventually you get good at chopping heads from a horse despite the horrible hitbox). But the raw mechanic of combat is horrible when compared to Warband, and this is the biggest issue with the game right now. Like it is the whole point of the game, that's the one thing that has to work right.
I 100% agree, but I'm not sure that's how most SP players view this.
Combat is only one aspect of singleplayer among many others, whereas in multiplayer, that's pretty much the whole game. This is why I tend to focus on MP when talking about combat, since it's obviously more important there.

I 100% agree, but I'm not sure that's how most SP players view this.
Combat is only one aspect of singleplayer among many others, whereas in multiplayer, that's pretty much the whole game. This is why I tend to focus on MP when talking about combat, since it's obviously more important there.

You are probably right there. The way I see it, two things made Warband great: 1) The combat mechanics and 2) The extension of that combat mechanics to massive field battles. So at the end of the day it all revolves around the combat mechanic. Warband is basically fighting in the arena. And then you add armor, more equipment and horses, and split the contestants in teams, and you have tournaments. Then you do the same thing outside with more people. It works because the core is fun.

In Bannerlord they added more fluff, for sure. But the basic soul of the game is still about slamming that two handed axe on someone's head, or blocking that blow with your shield. If we forget that that is the core of the game, we forget Mount and Blade's very soul, and then we have just some medieval game like many others instead of something unique.

I can spend hours in Warband just fighting in the arena or training troops, and I am genuinely having fun. In Bannerlord, when fighting I feel like I am walking through molasses, no matter what my skill level is. And I feel that my ability as a player is completely irrelevant (which connects to the larger scope point of a lack of sense of agency for the player throughout the game).

You are probably right there. The way I see it, two things made Warband great: 1) The combat mechanics and 2) The extension of that combat mechanics to massive field battles. So at the end of the day it all revolves around the combat mechanic. Warband is basically fighting in the arena. And then you add armor, more equipment and horses, and split the contestants in teams, and you have tournaments. Then you do the same thing outside with more people. It works because the core is fun.

In Bannerlord they added more fluff, for sure. But the basic soul of the game is still about slamming that two handed axe on someone's head, or blocking that blow with your shield. If we forget that that is the core of the game, we forget Mount and Blade's very soul, and then we have just some medieval game like many others instead of something unique.

I can spend hours in Warband just fighting in the arena or training troops, and I am genuinely having fun. In Bannerlord, when fighting I feel like I am walking through molasses, no matter what my skill level is. And I feel that my ability as a player is completely irrelevant (which connects to the larger scope point of a lack of sense of agency for the player throughout the game).
While again, I agree with you, what I meant by "Combat is only one part of singleplayer", is that singleplayer also entails factions, politics, economy, party management, character building, quests, and all other similar peripheral mechanics. This is why I think combat isn't as important there. Because if these other mechanics are good enough, the game can still be enjoyable despite sub-par combat. The same can't be said for multiplayer.

While again, I agree with you, what I meant by "Combat is only one part of singleplayer", is that singleplayer also entails factions, politics, economy, party management, character building, quests, and all other similar peripheral mechanics. This is why I think combat isn't as important there. Because if these other mechanics are good enough, the game can still be enjoyable despite sub-par combat. The same can't be said for multiplayer.

Well, yes. I was mostly rambling because that's what I do best. My original point was, it is highly relevant for both, you would think it's one of the first things they fix. Unless they think it's fine as it is? I sure hope not.

Well, yes. I was mostly rambling because that's what I do best. My original point was, it is highly relevant for both, you would think it's one of the first things they fix. Unless they think it's fine as it is? I sure hope not.
Unless something has changed at Taleworlds HQ and there are things we don't know about, the answer would be yes.
Attack delay and block delay were not implemented by accident. The stance system and the "Physics-based combat system™", two fundamental concepts of Bannerlord's combat have not changed in any significant way since the beta, and Taleworlds have given us no reason to think that they ever will. These mechanics are baked so foundationally into all of the combat's systems, that removing them would effectively mean rebuilding it from the ground up, as I understand it.
I can understand why Taleworlds would be reluctant to doing that, even though I think they're extremely wrong not to.

Unless something has changed at Taleworlds HQ and there are things we don't know about, the answer would be yes.
Attack delay and block delay were not implemented by accident. The stance system and the "Physics-based combat system™", two fundamental concepts of Bannerlord's combat have not changed in any significant way since the beta, and Taleworlds have given us no reason to think that they ever will. These mechanics are baked so foundationally into all of the combat's systems, that removing them would effectively mean rebuilding it from the ground up, as I understand it.
I can understand why Taleworlds would be reluctant to doing that, even though I think they're extremely wrong not to.
Sorry, you'll have to forgive my ignorance here. What are the reasons people dislike the combat in Bannerlord? I've mostly been playing SP myself, so I haven't had as much time in combat as most MP players would. If it is already posted elsewhere, again sorry for the ignorance, is there a list of things people would like to be improved?

Sorry, you'll have to forgive my ignorance here. What are the reasons people dislike the combat in Bannerlord? I've mostly been playing SP myself, so I haven't had as much time in combat as most MP players would. If it is already posted elsewhere, again sorry for the ignorance, is there a list of things people would like to be improved?
Put simply, the combat systems are convoluted and inconsistent.
To give you a simple idea, you should peep this thread, although it is very lacking.
A more complete list, although messy, would simply be the combat section of the multiplayer feedback board.

Really, I just started 1.4 modded campaign cause couldnt keep up with hotfixes. Then this beauty comes out. Argh xD

Good patch for the moment but please fix once and for all the diplomacy and snowballing issues. My suggestions:

- Keep defection to the minimum possible (without bothering the player making recruiting lords impossible for the kingdom player's kingdom).
- Fix the Aserai vs NE making peace on day 1.
- Avoid all factions declaring war to kingdoms which loses battles eventually. I remember that you did something similar in one patch where kingdoms take into account potential strength rather than current strength. This is necessary to be applied again to avoid factions getting wrecked by everyone when they are losing a war.
- Nerfs Khuzait and Vlandia (horses) in simulated battles.
- Give Sturgia something to help this faction a bit. Better racial bonus or something else.

Should I start a new game for 1.4.2? I mean do you think there ultra-early stuff that should be tested? Or has anyone had compatibility issues from 1.4.1 saves so far? I have a fairly fresh 1.4.1 game I'm enjoying but I can scrap it if there's problems.

So let me get this straight, the stable patch has 0 meaningful changes in multiplayer, this beta branch has also not any meaningful changes in multiplayer. So that means that we will wait AT LEAST 4 more weeks for something (if anything)? Have you seen the population of the multiplayer? Are you serious?

Minor problems found so far

1) girls are being born with insane stats, we are talking 120-150 in most skills, the boys are the same low static number they have been
2) I am 248 days into a game and I think only 4 towns have been taken. I can't remember the last time I saw a siege or even an army. People are at war and I see villages getting sacked, it's like they don't have influence to form armies, anyone else notice this? I know a lot of changes happen, but I have a feeling this shouldn't be right so mentioning in case it's another weird bug
3) In the kingdom tab if you assign someone a role, say scout, then in my case sent on a caravan, you will be unable to assign scout to anyone else, it doesn't appear. That person still gains scouting from your party movements. You need to disband their group, get them back in your group before you can de-select that skill to re assign to someone else.

Let me say even though my trade perk still isn't fixed when they said perks were, this has to be one of the most stable and well done big patches I have seen. I am very impressed with the lack of bug or crashes that normally accompany a patch of this size, well done gang.

Last edited:
Something changed with the XP with this patch. My units get 480 XP each during the night. The XP still seems to apply on a troop by troop basis, ignoring the number of troops in each group. For example out of my 68 imperial recruits, only one is ready for being promoted.

I have the "raise the meek" perk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom