Shields not blocking arrows randomly is an actual mechanic (confirmed by dev)

Users who are viewing this thread

DainMorgot

Sergeant

The guy above had a TW icon on his name. He confirmed that arrows can randomly penetrate for less damage. What the actual ****?

He confirmed they can penetrate shields, but not randomly. The actual reason this happens is probably so convoluted it might as well be random, just like every other Bannerlord mechanic, but I highly doubt it's actually random.

Why? Archers have pinpoint accuracy and rate of fire like an MG42 sometimes, and even this also? I mean the concept is interesting, but still... Archers are strong enough already.

Last edited:
Ah yes so that is why sometimes I swear my shield is covering my head yet a random arrow will go through for like 50 dmg on a headshot. What the actual **** dude.

Something with speed if i recall, it can penetrate blocks if certain requirements are met

In fact I can almost guarantee it's probably similar to crush through blocks, because this only ever happens when I'm playing cavalry and moving at speed.

Last edited:
In Warband crossbow bolts could penetrate shields that had a very weak resistance stat. No idea how it works in bannerlord.

Yes and this was very consistent and predictable. You knew if you had a shield with low resistance that good xbows could penetrate. In Bannerlord, as others above have said, it's probably based on a length formula which is far too convoluted to be predictable. If it's not predictable or consistent it feels random. Bannerlord has this problem with basically all of its calculations.

When strange things happen in the game, I always record the last 45 seconds with shadowplay. So after seeing this, I went and checked my clips. I have at least 4 clips when Varyag's shield gets penetrated by aserai's veteran bow and the crossbow by Vlandia's.

Archers are broken and have been since beta with legshots, shields are useless against range. Also, this happens with throwing weapons aswell according to my clips. I have at least 2 clips where simple javelins penetrate my shield. Not a fan of this at all.

I have made the video with evidence of this, but I also threw in other strange things, like throwing weapons passing through models and not registering, 2 handed swing arc 360 turns, map glitches that send you below map for a very brief time, couch lances that hit you when the lance is not even aiming at you, horses not being staggered when hit from infont with a spear.

@AVRC @MArdA TaleWorlds

I have made the video with evidence of this, but I also threw in other strange things, like throwing weapons passing through models and not registering, 2 handed swing arc 360 turns, map glitches that send you below map for a very brief time, couch lances that hit you when the lance is not even aiming at you, horses not being staggered when hit from infont with a spear.

@AVRC @MArdA TaleWorlds

0:44 Delivers 94 spear damage head on to a charging horse -horse doesn't get stacked up. Gotta love it.

Thank Arda, just to let you know, I have many clips of each invdividual thing that happened here, like arrow through block, throwing axes not registering, lances hitting you when you are not even in the 'crosshair' etc. I just have slow upload and I cant make one mega video. All of these things happen ALOT of times in the game. Network, at least from my part, is not the problem. I play with a steady 43-50 ping at all times.

@AVRC @MArdA TaleWorlds

You see most of the time you block upwards and then bring the shield down, and because this game is just unreliable it doesnt create the same force field you would get if you were to block in the middle because **** infantry thats why. When you block up and bring the shield down with your mouse it looks like you cover more of your body(neck bent forward etc.) but in reality it just messes up with the force field of the shields and you can get hit in the legs.

You see most of the time you block upwards and then bring the shield down, and because this game is just unreliable it doesnt create the same force field you would get if you were to block in the middle because **** infantry thats why. When you block up and bring the shield down with your mouse it looks like you cover more of your body(neck bent forward etc.) but in reality it just messes up with the force field of the shields and you can get hit in the legs.

Mate, there's a dev confirming that arrows can penetrate, plus the arrows showcased in the video were not legshots, except from the first one which was during a jump animation, in which the legs of the character go CLOSER to the shield.

Mate, there's a dev confirming that arrows can penetrate, plus the arrows showcased in the video were not legshots, except from the first one which was during a jump animation, in which the legs of the character go CLOSER to the shield.
Most of the shots seem like they hit due to the unforgiving shield hitboxes, either shooting you in your foot or your hand. The only one that looks suspicious is the second clip, but even then it seems random that that shot would penetrate. This video is still a good example of how the current shield hitboxes make playing infantry frustrating, with even some large shields being too narrow or lacking coverage to protect your entire body from frontal shots.

Back
Top Bottom