Warband is better than bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, I disagree about that when dealing with the basics. For example, character progression, which is a very basic building block of such a game. M& had a simplistic, old-fashioned system that nevertheless filled its role well.
The new system is a hodgepodge of concepts that is broken in many places. Skills that don't work, nonsensical perks that aren't implemented anyways, skills that you can't level, skills that level too fast etc... It's not that it's not finished, it's that it looks only halfway designed.
That's different from having more middle or end-game systems not implemented yet. I would be fairly satisfied with an EA version that only has the combat parts of the char developed and working and a clear message that diplomacy, economy etc... will come later.

In other words, I would no mind the game only having its most basic blocs working. But ATM, there's a bit of everything implemented and nothing works well.

I agree with what you said, but to me, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Bannerlord still needs plenty of work, improvement, and in worst cases a rework of certain things/features since it is still in early access, therefore, if you are not happy with the current version of BL, avoid it for now until they improve it further. Adding to that, there are still many features missing from the game, those will come at a later date.

In a nutshell, I personally hate comparing BL to WB purely because it is not finished, and if we, the core fans of Warband, has waited many years for Bannerlord, I'm sure we are equipped with patience for another year or so.

and if we, the core fans of Warband, has waited many years for Bannerlord, I'm sure we are equipped with patience for another year or so.
I'm fine with that, as long as they keep stable versions of the game stable, and dont force hotfixes on that version. Because the one thing that keeps me anchored to the skeleton vanilla game is mods.

Doesn't make since that they have a stable and a beta version of the game, but force updates on both versions.

I played both games like 200+ hours in singleplayer mode and in my opinion Warband is better than bannerlord. Now some people are going to ask why do you think it that way in Warband marriages was harder, it was easy but harder than Bannerlord, in Warband ladies had aspirants that you may wish to fight to be the first for the lady, in Bannerlord there's non you just talk do a mini quiz and done! you're married after paying like 5k dinnars. Also there were men had claims to the thrones that you can lead a rebellion with a king in your army and if you decide to do that, that was hard because you had to conquer a whole kingdom, I think they had a game that is already good and got it worse with better graphics, I do not say the game is bad, there are new ways of sieges that I liked so much, new quests you can ask for lords and new clan feature that helps you a lot but that's it, no more. I know that game is still in early access but I think they should added as better too because we liked game of them, If ladies are now that easy to marry why should we wait for them to send a message to us or another aspirants that wishes to marry her that is why I posted a new thread I just wanted to say that.
Are you comparing a game in early acces to a game been out for god knows how many years now with multiple DLC

I'm fine with that, as long as they keep stable versions of the game stable, and dont force hotfixes on that version. Because the one thing that keeps me anchored to the skeleton vanilla game is mods.

Doesn't make since that they have a stable and a beta version of the game, but force updates on both versions.
You have a misconstrued idea of what "stable" means if you think they will be able to ensure mods wont be broken with any update. Stable to TW means vanilla without mods. It does make sense that they push updates to both versions when bug/crash fixes are ready, the only reason to not push a fix to stable is if it wasn't adequately tested to ensure it doesn't break other parts, which is what the beta is for. You being able to play the game with mods comes far after people crashing while playing stable without mods. Sorry but this is reality, it would be impossible for them to ensure compatibility with all the mods out there, meanwhile you wish others would have to wait for their crash issues on stable to be fixed so you can keep playing with mods? See how that doesn't make sense for an actual developer?

I personally find Bannerlord better even in its current state. I think we have really nice features which Warband lacks and they make the game much more enjoyable for me.

On the other hand, I do agree with there are some basic aspects and features from Warband which are pretty nice and there are still missing in Bannerlord.

Bannerlord still needs a lot of polishing and getting new content but it is already pretty good. Sadly we are not getting new content as fast as I thought we would be able to get.
I am patiently waiting 1.5. The updates have slowed but remembering the pace at which they were able to tackle bugs in the first month, i have high hopes at what the next update will bring.

Even if I agree that marriage was better in Warband that's not a problem because it can be replicated/improved and it will be even better with the skill checks and traits system.

Most of the new mechanics are good improvements, and they will allow a better game in time.

I am more concerned with the adaptation of Warband mechanics to Bannerlord. For instance Warband economy never worked, not in any mod I played. Some players who like to play traders won't say the same, but to me, everytime I tried to find food in villages, or to figure out what workshop should I buy, it was not working.

I think the economy in Bannerlord is inheriting directly from that, and even if they manage to tweak a working version it will be a mess (my opinion). Now AI armies/parties consume food and they are trying to convert it to a supply and demand self balancing economy. I bet it won't ever work. Same with bandits, recruitment, parties and armies..

The problem is they wasted a golden opportunity to design a new game from the ground, and they are wasting a lot of work on adapting old mechanics to new features. Going from micromanaging at the small scale to the strategic level without rethinking the whole game. Warband was a success but that doesn't mean everything in Warband was good.

Fortunately the game architecture seems to be very friendly to modders so probably Bannerlord will be a success too. That goes to the developers credit, I don't think they are incompetent. I just hope those mechanics don't get too deeply embedded in the game, so they can be modified or replaced.

Everyone is free to have their own opinions, but I don't understand how out of all the possible flaws you could point out in Bannerlord you would settle with nobles are too easy to marry and lack of claimants, both of which were optional and frankly underwhelming in Warband. Such nitpicks don't make a game worse than another for me, and even in early access you could list a dozen features that Bannerlord has that Warband does not.

I think the issue with Bannerlord, and why it might be more fun to play Warband right now, is that while it has the majority of features vanilla Warband did, the complete experience relies on new features that are as of yet unfinished or poorly balanced. Until they finish these features and work out the other kinks, a playthrough in Bannerlord will feel unfulfilling for me.

The original poster and Skjuld hit the point for me. It is not about reduced functionality in EA. It is the current state of the product, that disappoints me and makes me sad.
The implemented features and the attempts by the developers to fix imbalances leave the impression, that they are dealing with a patchwork of functionalities, no one has a real clue about.
Sorry to be that blunt, but that is the impression I got.

In terms of depth I don't know how Warband is different than Bannerlord. Questing is identical. Army management is way better in Bannerlord. There is crafting. Realm management is also better in Bannerlord. I had install Diplomacy mod just to exchange fiefs back then. At least there is proper foundation for more complicated actions right now.

It's been a while since I played it. But what made Warband so memorable was that there was nothing like it that came before it, maybe the very first game which no one talks about.

In Bannerlord it's basically the same formula with better polish. Yeah stuff is broken right now, but if they were working right, the game wouldn't be so chaotic and bland.

Back
Top Bottom