lol Can we finally allow crossbow reloading on horses please?

Users who are viewing this thread

As the title says, I'm seriously hoping they'd address some of the most basic of perks before experimenting with overhauls. You're basically removing 1 of the 3 ranged weapons from the game by disallowing crossbow reloads when mounted.

Perks are been reworked. No point of making perk work if it might be removed week later.

With the exception of lightest crossbows, crossbows shouldn't be reloadable on the horseback anyway.

Light crossbow was mounted reloadable in warband and see no reason why it shouldn't be here. I personally dislike the idea of perks making it possible to use heavy bows or crossbows while mounted as its totally unrealistic.
I'd only spec a companion in this if they already had significant skill in it ( engineers and spice vendor spring to mind).
I'd personally take the high end bows over cross bows. Their rate of fire is much better in seiges. The best heavy bow clears the battlements of archers faster than the AI can send in replacements. It's just a chore swapping out to the lighter version once the seige is completed.

Perks are been reworked. No point of making perk work if it might be removed week later.

With the exception of lightest crossbows, crossbows shouldn't be reloadable on the horseback anyway.

If the lightest crossbows were reloadable, the players including myself wouldn't be complaining at all. Also, their reworking of a skill tree for 1 hander took over 6 weeks and even then it's not complete. Surely disabling a feature because it will be changed soon doesn't make too much sense given the timeline? It's Early Access, sure, but basic combat features should still be accessible. Rather than trying to micro manage economy like they have done, it's much more efficient to actually implement things to test them out.

If the lightest crossbows were reloadable, the players including myself wouldn't be complaining at all. Also, their reworking of a skill tree for 1 hander took over 6 weeks and even then it's not complete. Surely disabling a feature because it will be changed soon doesn't make too much sense given the timeline? It's Early Access, sure, but basic combat features should still be accessible. Rather than trying to micro manage economy like they have done, it's much more efficient to actually implement things to test them out.

You are assuming that feature was implemented and then disabled. I newer saw any evidence of that. It's very likely that crossbow horseback reloading was newer implemented in the first place and that most perks that are not working are just placeholders.

To answer OP; No, because the perk system is currently being worked on and many of those perks are just placeholders for a similar perk they're working on. Just as with much of the things in this EA version people will have to wait while the updates come in as time passes by.

And for those who think crossbow horseman are not possible; Yes reloading crossbows on horseback is doable, all TW had to do is come up with crossbow designs that uses push levers, cranks, and other similar tools, perhaps they'll even include it as part of the weapon itself, which would be a good thing play-wise. Then they'll make a reload animation that demonstrate the act, both on foot and on horseback. The reload session before firing would be 1/3 of the time it takes to do using crossbows in the current game since using levers instead of your foot is practical and efficient. The question of whether your mount should be stationary or not to reload a crossbow simply doesn't matter. This is a game after all not real life, enjoying the game comes first and foremost.

To answer OP; No, because the perk system is currently being worked on and many of those perks are just placeholders for a similar perk they're working on. Just as with much of the things in this EA version people will have to wait while the updates come in as time passes by.

And for those who think crossbow horseman are not possible; Yes reloading crossbows on horseback is doable, all TW had to do is come up with crossbow designs that uses push levers, cranks, and other similar tools, perhaps they'll even include it as part of the weapon itself, which would be a good thing play-wise. Then they'll make a reload animation that demonstrate the act, both on foot and on horseback. The reload session before firing would be 1/3 of the time it takes to do using crossbows in the current game since using levers instead of your foot is practical and efficient. The question of whether your mount should be stationary or not to reload a crossbow simply doesn't matter. This is a game after all not real life, enjoying the game comes first and foremost.

Question for me is more historic feel. This is supposed to be centuries before Warband. Crossbows with mechanical reload aids weren't a thing until the late middle ages and Rennaissance. As such anything but basic crossbows kind of feels wrong. They probably should even be a weapon tier in this age which is late Dark Ages to early Middle Ages.

Question for me is more historic feel. This is supposed to be centuries before Warband. Crossbows with mechanical reload aids weren't a thing until the late middle ages and Rennaissance. As such anything but basic crossbows kind of feels wrong.
That depends on how TW is going to shape the timeline, they can add whatever they like in regards to the lore after all. Who can say the Calradians would not think the way they reload a crossbow as too damn tiring (and lethal if you're in a battle) not long after it was invented, so they created the reloading tool just to remove that inconvenience? ?‍♂️

Question for me is more historic feel. This is supposed to be centuries before Warband. Crossbows with mechanical reload aids weren't a thing until the late middle ages and Rennaissance. As such anything but basic crossbows kind of feels wrong. They probably should even be a weapon tier in this age which is late Dark Ages to early Middle Ages.
Horse mounted crossbowmen were totally a thing in the middle ages, although admittedly uncommon.
main-qimg-c1690c62fd2ec8a5573e71005e6982b8

Also see this video for the mechanism.

Last edited:
Not in the period that game depicts primarily, which is early middle ages. And even later when they were used, they were limited to lighter crossbows.
The armor in the game is taken from a variety of "ages". IE the Vlandian armor is reminiscent of 1066 normans, while the Khuzaits are modeled after the mongols of the 1240s. Both factions fall outside of your timeline of "early middle ages" which is defined as 500-800 AD, so I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that Bannerlord is modeled after the early middle ages.

Last edited:
The armor in the game is taken from a variety of "ages". IE the Vlandian armor is reminiscent of 1066 normans, while the Khuzaits are modeled after the mongols of the 1240s. Both factions fall outside of your timeline of "early middle ages" which is defined as 500-800 AD

First of all I used word "primarily".

Second of all Kuzaits are: "...based partially on the Mongols but also on their more modest cousins, the Avars, Göktürks, Kipchaks, and Khazars, who were more regional powers than global ones."

Third, Mongols themselves existed long before 1240.

And lastly, early middle ages are 500-1000 AD, not 500-800 AD.

so I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that Bannerlord is modeled after the early middle ages.

Because majority of weapons, armors as well as aesthetics of architecture and fashion and even factions and political situation are clearly inspired by early middle ages.

Because majority of weapons, armors as well as aesthetics of architecture and fashion and even factions and political situation are clearly inspired by early middle ages.
No, they are not. As stated before, Vlandians are straight up based off 1066 Normans and you can't even argue that, which even by your definition of "early middle ages" is still not the "early middle ages". Sturgians are based off of the Kievan Rus and the Novgorod republic which was not founded until 900 CE and 1136 CE respectively. The empire is clearly a fusion of the Byzantines with Turkish cultural influences, which points to a period around the time of the Byzantine-Seljuk wars which started in 1048 CE. I still think the Khuzaits are based more off of 1240s Mongols than the other peoples you mentioned, but concede the point due to the developer post. The Aserai are generic enough to potentially be from a wide range of periods.

The only faction I can buy being inspired from the "early middle ages" are the Battanians which remind me a little of Irish Celts, but you can also make the argument that they weren't inspired by the "early middle ages" either, considering that Celtish culture was being practiced in Ireland as late as the 1200s when they were finally invaded by the Normans.

As for most of the architecture, I am not qualified enough to give an opinion on the eras from which inspired them. However, I can say that Vlandian architecture at least does not appear (in my opinion) to be from the early middle ages.

Regardless, this is kind of a stupid argument. As I said in a previous post the game takes numerous inspirations from numerous centuries. I don't get why a very simple crossbow reloading mechanism from the 1300s that can be used on horseback is a bridge too far for you. It is literally just a piece of metal that acts as a lever when you rock it back.

Last edited:
Warband is supposedly set in 1257 but it has plate armour and lamellar from the 1400s and 1500s. Khergit lords are dressed like the timurids. They have just taken whatever they wanted from whatever periods they feel like, and this is fine. It's a bit silly to expect the armour to match its inspiration exactly when it's just that, an inspiration.

No, they are not. As stated before, Vlandians are straight up based off 1066 Normans and you can't even argue that, which even by your definition of "early middle ages" is still not the "early middle ages".

The Vlandians are based on the feudal states of EARLY MEDIEVAL Europe, in particular the Normans, the Norse raiders who settled in France then carved out kingdoms for themselves in England, Sicily, and the Holy Land.
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/37

I have marked the important part.

Sturgians are based off of the Kievan Rus and the Novgorod republic which was not founded until 900 CE and 1136 CE respectively.

The Sturgians are based on the federation of city-states known as Kievan Rus, located in today's Russia, Belarus and Ukraine.
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/39

No mention of Novgorod republic. And no reference in the game either.

The empire is clearly a fusion of the Byzantines with Turkish cultural influences, which points to a period around the time of the Byzantine-Seljuk wars which started in 1048 CE.

The empire is clearly 3 empires, or divided Roman empire.

I still think the Khuzaits are based more off of 1240s Mongols than the other peoples you mentioned, but concede the point due to the developer post.

Developers are clear on that. No need to make any assumptions.

The Aserai are generic enough to potentially be from a wide range of periods.

The Aserai are based on the Arab tribes just before the great Islamic conquests of the seventh century...
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/41

Again emphasize mine.

As for most of the architecture, I am not qualified enough to give an opinion on the eras from which inspired them. However, I can say that Vlandian architecture at least does not appear (in my opinion) to be from the early middle ages.

It is. Not a copy of course but inspired by. And I am qualified thanks to my profession.

Regardless, this is kind of a stupid argument. As I said in a previous post the game takes numerous inspirations from numerous centuries. I don't get why a very simple crossbow reloading mechanism from the 1300s that can be used on horseback is a bridge too far for you.

I newer said it is. I said:

I would be fine if crossbows were re-loadable on the horseback, as long as there would be limit on their size and weight.

Btw.: the reloading mechanism is not the only limiting factor here. Large and heavy crossbows were impractical to be used from the horseback, which is why they were not used. That you can reload certain crossbow from the horseback does not mean it's practical thing to do.

Last edited:
Krp0v.jpg

War Bows: Longbow, crossbow, composite bow and Japanese yumi
By Mike Loades

And, if that perk doesn't currently work, it's because there is no animation for it to work; it's that simple.

Back
Top Bottom