Almost two months into EA. Satisfied?

Are you happy with how the game launched in EA and how it evolved during the first two months?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

EAs are always EAs, I have been in a few. But man this BL game just feels barren/ devoid or atmosphere/bland and empty. Marriage as a boring as I could have possibly imagined. Just 0 creativity.

I had fun at first but saw little things like limited banners to pick from, limited character customization, not choosing were to start out as understandable due to being EA and had faith in TW. Had a blast in my first big battle. Once i tried ruling a kingdom I saw how limited the game was. So i tried to just be a lord for a kingdom. The lack of prison management diplomacy, kingdom ruling, lack of training men in castles, cities, villages (if purchased/upgraded, yes upgrading a village should have been in even during EA) make being a lord dry and pointless. Other issues such as , attributes needing to be fix (feeling like a chore to level up), lack of sea battles or even a sea bearing nation of islands that raid villages and sea trade, stationary npc, nations lacking diplomacy AI outside of kingdom as well, no lord or king dies in battle, no loss of impact on a nation or its war status when its king dies. I could go on and on.
I am trying to remain hopeful and maybe Im expecting more from TW (especially after WB and also 8 yrs of development). Warband mods/ DLC should not be making EA version of BL feel so empty. Disappointment maybe the best word to describe how im feeling about this game at the moment. Multiplayer is dying to the point a siege mode (my fav) has less than 20 to a team majority of the time. I think the reason im disappointed is that i just don't have faith TW will deliver us content either in a soon to be manner or at all. TW doesn't owe me anything, but im sharing my frustration. Between M&Bs, Kingdom come deliverance, and crusader kings, and total war. i just want a dream medieval game that has me ruling a kingdom as a lord and fighting in the battles with my men with a diplomacy that feels like im watching Game of thrones, the last kingdom, or lord of the rings.

I had fun at first but saw little things like limited banners to pick from, limited character customization, not choosing were to start out as understandable due to being EA and had faith in TW. Had a blast in my first big battle. Once i tried ruling a kingdom I saw how limited the game was. So i tried to just be a lord for a kingdom. The lack of prison management diplomacy, kingdom ruling, lack of training men in castles, cities, villages (if purchased/upgraded, yes upgrading a village should have been in even during EA) make being a lord dry and pointless. Other issues such as , attributes needing to be fix (feeling like a chore to level up), lack of sea battles or even a sea bearing nation of islands that raid villages and sea trade, stationary npc, nations lacking diplomacy AI outside of kingdom as well, no lord or king dies in battle, no loss of impact on a nation or its war status when its king dies. I could go on and on.
I am trying to remain hopeful and maybe Im expecting more from TW (especially after WB and also 8 yrs of development). Warband mods/ DLC should not be making EA version of BL feel so empty. Disappointment maybe the best word to describe how im feeling about this game at the moment. Multiplayer is dying to the point a siege mode (my fav) has less than 20 to a team majority of the time. I think the reason im disappointed is that i just don't have faith TW will deliver us content either in a soon to be manner or at all. TW doesn't owe me anything, but im sharing my frustration. Between M&Bs, Kingdom come deliverance, and crusader kings, and total war. i just want a dream medieval game that has me ruling a kingdom as a lord and fighting in the battles with my men with a diplomacy that feels like im watching Game of thrones, the last kingdom, or lord of the rings.

Exactly. I can understand some features missing because of the EA status, but this just feels so empty to me. I am not sure exactly what it is with NPC companions but they feel generic. I just went back and played a few mods for M&B: Third Age, 1257 AD, and Bannerpage mods are so much better than this is not even close. The EA is very boring, I don't understand how this is possible after 8 years of DEV time. Not even a feast....:sad: Oh, and the Smithing is beyond dull.

Last edited:
Why does everyone even mention modders in this thread (and all the other threads regarding game improvement)? It's not the job of the gaming community to finish a game, mods are just a mere possibility of adjusting certain aspects according to your taste and to add new aspects, like setting or mechanics. It is never ment to repair a broken game, especially not when it took 8 years and costs 50€!

If they had made it 20€ - ok, but for a full AAA price? Come on people, you can't be serious with that...

Give it time and TW will make the game come around eventually. If it doesn't, well there's always WB waiting for you to come back from.

I had fun, and I generally still have fun, although I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't looked a up a few things or went to the forum. The general negativity and nitpicky complaints about lack of certain things, and some perks not working etc.... kind of stay in the back of my mind whilst playing and it gnaws at me killing my enjoyment, stuff that used to not bother me will suddenly bother me after having read a complaint thread etc or someone's post about feature x being stupid and not yet implemented etc...

The one thing that bothers me is the speed at which things get nerfed and turned into a frustrating grind because a vocal minority of players love to complain about them being too OP.

The one thing that bothers me is the speed at which things get nerfed and turned into a frustrating grind because a vocal minority of players love to complain about them being too OP.
Pretty much, these small, loud group of children really want the game meant for SP to be another MMORPG-like grindfest, I wouldn't be surprised if this is 'their' way of having fun in a game, by making others go through needless grind in a SP game session while they themselves get off from the suffering of working very hard for points like a work addict, just as in real life. The last thing people wanted is another game that involves 'working hard' to get 2-3-digit sums of gold, 1 or 9 or so points of influence, and very mediocre amounts of exp, all because of these 'game balance suggestions' from a small vocal group of realist masochists.

Give it time and TW will make the game come around eventually. If it doesn't, well there's always WB waiting for you to come back from.

seeing how both vanilla warband and how BL is still less than WB DLC/Mods i feel BL when fully released likely will lack what i had some hope for. Thankfully mods will save this game.

I believe that's why Taleworlds told people to not buy the game if they have doubts.
What's incomprehensible is that some people somehow still managed to convince themselves into buying it and now act all entitled and betrayed.

Here's the thing: I didn't buy the game. I was in the beta since the start, and my sister bought it on her account after launch. I haven't spent a penny on taleworlds in the last 10 years and I was still disappointed.

Pretty much, these small, loud group of children really want the game meant for SP to be another MMORPG-like grindfest, I wouldn't be surprised if this is 'their' way of having fun in a game, by making others go through needless grind in a SP game session while they themselves get off from the suffering of working very hard for points like a work addict, just as in real life. The last thing people wanted is another game that involves 'working hard' to get 2-3-digit sums of gold, 1 or 9 or so points of influence, and very mediocre amounts of exp, all because of these 'game balance suggestions' from a small vocal group of realist masochists.

So you want everything to be thrown after you, getting rich and mighty in 5h of playing?
You can make a game hard, challenging and thus rewarding without making it grindy, but having to work for something makes it usually much more worthy. I just fear that TW just doesn't put much thought in it (you see that in nearly every decision they made in game design) and makes it artificially hard and longer lasting by just making it a grindfest. And there I agree with you, that shouldn't happen.

Something being hard to achieve doesn't automatically make the end result good. If the gameplay used to get there is repetitive then you might as well have just done it once.

I have a lot more fun in games where the player is overpowered than underpowered, because then I can limit myself with different builds and there are more options. If the player is underpowered however, only the most optimised and minmaxed playstyles work, and that's when the game becomes a grind because you have to do the same thing over and over.

Something being hard to achieve doesn't automatically make the end result good. If the gameplay used to get there is repetitive then you might as well have just done it once.

I have a lot more fun in games where the player is overpowered than underpowered, because then I can limit myself with different builds and there are more options. If the player is underpowered however, only the most optimised and minmaxed playstyles work, and that's when the game becomes a grind because you have to do the same thing over and over.
Agreed. I think the current looter situation is a good example, people shouldn't need to fight endless looter parties in order to level up their troops. Personally I didn't have that problem because I just fought battles in wars instead. But that's on easy, I guess my approach doesn't work on realistic, at least not without massive losses.

However, that doesn't mean players should get tons of free money each day. Income needs to be balanced, and what some people call nerfing is the process of finding that balance.

Rather than seeing this as a balance between nerfing and buffing, I think there need to be actual mechanical changes to the way the player acquires power in the game. Currently everything is just so passive and static. You get a few fiefs and some businesses and voila, free passive income. They even had to very sloppily limit the number of businesses because they know how broken it can be. Even if there was a perfect balance here, it still wouldn't be interesting.

Rather than seeing this as a balance between nerfing and buffing, I think there need to be actual mechanical changes to the way the player acquires power in the game. Currently everything is just so passive and static. You get a few fiefs and some businesses and voila, free passive income. They even had to very sloppily limit the number of businesses because they know how broken it can be. Even if there was a perfect balance here, it still wouldn't be interesting.
I guess there needs to be both, better balance and better mechanics...

If there are good mechanics then balance almost becomes irrelevant.

Kenshi is a game with the best game design I've ever seen (which is why I keep talking about it). Some skills like stealth and martial arts are obscenely unbalanced, allowing the player to steal endgame armour and weapons from shops, or punch someone's limbs right out of their sockets with a single kick and do over 10 times the damage that even lategame weapons do. If you were trying to finish the game quickly then this would be the way to do it, but there are so many other viable playstyles that people tend not to just go down the meta route.

If there are good mechanics then balance almost becomes irrelevant.

That's where I think the game is currently lacking a lot.
Bannerlord was fun to me to the point I was a vassal and my kingdom was in constant war mode.
Winning the war out of an stalemate was kind of fun. But then loosing the war and not being able to do anything about it isn't.

There are not enough features for the player to interact with the world. Meaning mostly politics.
If the player had the option to circumnavigate some inbalances then the inbalances wouldn't be that much of a big deal.

In my campaign the Kuzhait steamrolled everything including the Southern Empire which I was part of.
Couldn't do anything about it and subsequently set Bannerlord aside.

If it isn't boring at the same time it does at least make it more worthwile. As i said: Something being hard to achieve is not the same as being just a boring repetitive thing - like hunting looters over and over.
Example with the looters: Throw in dozens of weak looter parties, attacking you frontally every time and you have a boring, repetitive mechanic, artificially making progress hard to achieve. However if you use bigger parties, or more intelligent ones attacking you in an ambush on a street (!) in the woods or a mountain pass (where only your scouting skill can prevent that), where you have to choose the right marching formation, troop composition and battle behaviour to overcome that makes it hard, but not repetitive - at least not when bandids don't always come the same way and in the same troop composition.

TW could for example allow players (as freelancers and later as kings) to choose the equipment and behaviour of troops, that way we would have to find a proper way of warfare to tackle the looters in the beginning and to adjust to what comes after that. Since we now cannot even train our troops, or set standard forces to choose to lead into battle depending on our enemies there is actually nothing we can do besides recruiting as many troops as we can, knowing we will just outnumber them and grow by performing the same boring battle over and over.

As a sidenote, i never understood why people want to be the big, great, god-like hero in a game. What's the point? I'd rather have to think about something i want to achieve, put some effort in it and have it rewarded afterwards, knowing it was my own skill, instead of being gifted. In GTA for example, you get a bunch of weapons and easy money as soon as you start playing, enemies can merely kill you, so what's the point in building something up when you already have everything you need?

Last edited:
As a sidenote, i never understood why people want to be the big, great, god-like hero in a game.

Because in mount and blade there has never really been anything for low level characters to do except level up. The game basically forces you to keep getting better and become a steamroller.

In some strategy games it can be fun playing as a smaller or weaker character / nation because either larger nations / characters can protect you (like in hearts of iron), or there are things you can do as a minor character that more powerful ones either can't or don't have time for (like trading or craftsmanship).

Not really satisfied. I like the game, but it's patches come out with pletora of bugs, features broken and game just becomes more grindy, for a sake of grind. Instead of grind-for-reward.
And then you get to end game, with tons of money and nothing to spend them on. Constantly respawning lords, constant wars, and nothing to do but recruit-fight-recruit. I was hoping there would be more time sinks, but its barebone Warband+ and thus far nothing inproved.
Even QoL stuff like party sorting, or fixed formations so they persist through savegames. And that fast dialogue like in mod, to skip useless loading screen to talk to 5 looters every 2 minutes.

I'm just hoping that in a year this game will shine, right now it feels like lots of unrealized potential.

Back
Top Bottom