Crush Through the Shield?

Users who are viewing this thread

hruza

Knight at Arms
I have noticed that I get sometimes hit through the shield. Usually this is when attacked with the axe in the overhead attack (attack to the head). Although I had it happen with the spear as well. My shield is blocking in the correct direction (upwards) yet attack still somehow connects through the shield.

I was not able to do it myself against the opponents and I can't find any info about it. Is this some sort of feature of the new combat mechanics and if so, how does it work?

I've seen this once in 1.4, ran at a maximum speed with a battanian thoroughbred at an vladian light cav, thrusted the spear and even though the poor bloke raised his shield, the attack crushed the shield and killed him. Pretty cool tbh.

Never happened against me though... I think.

It doesn't. They tried to make the combat physics-based but the hitboxes are ****ed ergo combat is usually a lesson in frustration.

I am suspecting that it might have something to do with hitboxes. Shield will block the blow, but since axe head protrudes a little through the shield when it's blocked, it might actually connect with the head beyond the shield. Would explain why it newer happens with swords (which are strait).

Unless it's a feature.

I've seen this once in 1.4, ran at a maximum speed with a battanian thoroughbred at an vladian light cav, thrusted the spear and even though the poor bloke raised his shield, the attack crushed the shield and killed him. Pretty cool tbh.

Never happened against me though... I think.

Well the thing is, what I am describing does not crush the shield. The blow will crush through shield and hit you but shield remains intact.

There used to be a two handed perk that gave you a 10% chance to crush through blocks, but that's one of the perks that got removed with the perk revamp in the beta branch.

Other than that, I've been hit through my shield when I didn't block the correct direction, but that's normal. *shrugs*

The most likely cause is simply either missed timing, or missed angles -- player mistake.

For example, a shield with shorter upper top, when in low position, will expose your head. Even in high position, if the terrain is higher on the opponent's side, it could expose the top of your head. A very narrow shield, typically exposes certain portions of your right torso when held high unless you angle it correctly. The most common instances of an overhead attack "incoming past the shield" is when there's an angular exposure when you hold the shield high.

The imperial kite shield, for example, is notorious in this aspect. and if the horizontal angle is incorrect, and enemy attack will follow down the right side of your shield held high and just strike your right side head/shoulder area. This almost never happens with northern-style round shields which have a wide horizontal cover and is particularly excellent in covering your upper torso, but the round shield is prone to exposing your legs and feet.

The most likely cause is simply either missed timing, or missed angles -- player mistake.

Nope, I am sure it's non of those cases. It's happening to me frequently enough that I can tell for sure that I am blocking the right direction and on time. Based on experience in Sturgian arena tournaments so it's not size or shape of the shield either.

Nope, I am sure it's non of those cases. It's happening to me frequently enough that I can tell for sure that I am blocking the right direction and on time. Based on experience in Sturgian arena tournaments so it's not size or shape of the shield either.

If it's so frequent, then surely a request of evidence would not be out of the question, yes?

Do you fight in first person or third person?

You mean video?

Third person.

A vid would be awesome.

And yeah, I sort of assumed ud be in 3rd person... because 3rd person is really difficult to get an accurate picture of what's really going on. For one thing angles and distances are pretty difficult to make out accurately.

When it's first person you get a really clear view of what trajectory the weapon comes in, and how your shield fsiled due to which circumstances.

Check combat log, if the hit is a crush through it will say so in a different color.

Did you make the tallest character in game and which shield are you carrying?

Back
Top Bottom