Endless War

Users who are viewing this thread

I thought they fixed this... at least in my game. Southern empire was at war with everyone, and I finally got tired of my palatine guards having to mow down countless recruits over and over and over just to hold onto my city and castle. I took about two weeks off, then started playing again.

First I noticed the quality of the enemy armies was much better. They could actually reach my lines! And then we started getting peace offers, and actually had two years without war. After that it was only war with one or two factions at a time, and they were generally short. So many times I was building my last onager when peace was declared.

Eventually we won, and even had a revolt by an unruly clan.

So, was I just lucky? Oh, I did notice that the conspiracy quest was at 2000/2000. That might have helped.

Did they lose all the programmers from Warband? It wasn't totally unreasonable about wars. It seems like the devs are having to re-invent stuff that should be in their closet.

Did they lose all the programmers from Warband? It wasn't totally unreasonable about wars. It seems like the devs are having to re-invent stuff that should be in their closet.

Yeah it sure feels like they are having to remake Warband in the new engine, then everyday we'll get real improvements on it later.

I thought they fixed this... at least in my game. Southern empire was at war with everyone, and I finally got tired of my palatine guards having to mow down countless recruits over and over and over just to hold onto my city and castle. I took about two weeks off, then started playing again.

First I noticed the quality of the enemy armies was much better. They could actually reach my lines! And then we started getting peace offers, and actually had two years without war. After that it was only war with one or two factions at a time, and they were generally short. So many times I was building my last onager when peace was declared.

Eventually we won, and even had a revolt by an unruly clan.

So, was I just lucky? Oh, I did notice that the conspiracy quest was at 2000/2000. That might have helped.
Depends on the timing of your experience. What you are describing sounds like you returned to play on 1.3.1, which has had the best balance of war and peace of any version so far (though perhaps a little too skewed to peace).

Are you playing 1.4? As I said earlier, I noticed remarkable improvements. It sort of made the game fun again... except maybe a little too easy to win... I really wanted the game to drag on so my kids could join me in slaughtering poor farmers who just wanted a better life than the miserable existence of a peasant.

Depends on the timing of your experience. What you are describing sounds like you returned to play on 1.3.1, which has had the best balance of war and peace of any version so far (though perhaps a little too skewed to peace).
I started on earlier versions, but with the update it seemed everything was fixed. Mind you, I had other anomalies such as being granted a lot of fiefs until Rhagaea realized I couldn't hold them all- and that was several weeks ago. I dunno, maybe I'm more charming than all the other players complaining about a lack of fiefs.

What are some other settings that you (or anyone else familiar with this mod) would recommend? I like the configurable truce timer but the rest of the settings are somewhat confusing, especially the whole war exhaustion thing. What's the best way to keep it close to vanilla but simply enforce truce timers?

I've been playing around with the settings on Diplomacy Fixes mod... this is what I settled on that seems to work pretty good.

What these do is emphasize losing soldiers towards war exhaustion and de-emphasize fiefs. If Fiefs are emphasized, then they lose one Fief and go for peace, never trying to reclaim it.. OR even never giving you a chance to reclaim.

With these settings you can try to push for peace by winning several battles.. kind of simulating a war of attrition.

Things are more manageable and you get moments of peace. Though because it is all timer based, wars are predictable and not rational. But, hey... this is a temp fix.

Min Duration: 20 days
War Cooldown: 90 days
Per Casualty: 0.05
Per Day: 0.5
Per Raid: 2.0
Per Seige: 4.0

I hope the reason they are taking time to fix this is because they are thinking about a complex diplomacy system... The mod is too simple of a logic, but at least it's better than "random wars for no reason" concept...

Back
Top Bottom