Refusing fief

Users who are viewing this thread

Please implement an option to be able to refuse fief.
In my current campaign i was totally bankrupted because the king gave me 2 castles in the front line with 200+soldiers.
I was not able to refuse or to give it to other noble or back to the king. I had to go there take all soldiers go to next castle/city and donate them. While I did it I lost all my money I had to donate most of my elite soldiers from my party too.
When I finished this both of the castles were attacked and taken from me so I was not able to recover the money from their revenue.
This was a total bankrupt.

PS: This is an awesome game I love it. :smile:
As long as you have influence when they have the 3 clans down to have the castle. you pick one of the other guys. every time i do that they get it...Like you i hated getting castles when and were i did not want them... its the only way i got around it.

Actually it's easy to defend a castle.
1.-Buy tanneries in the faction you are planning to join later
2.-Recruit companions with steward skill to lead clan parties
3.-When you join a faction you should be at clan tier 3 which means 3 parties including yours, around 300 army
4.-As soon as you get a castle go there with your clan army. Place 99 garrison and rush buildings for food and militia
5.-Patrol around villages and park the army in the castle if enemy army arrives to take it

The garrison + militia + 300-400 soldiers was enough for me. Enemy armies gave up siege or disbanded before the assault, and the income from villages and castle was not bad once they were maxed
I can defend anything by using just my single natural party to beat the enemy army into ground in an open battle.
The issue is being forcibly given fiefs that may be too physically far from you for you to ever get there before they're lost and
being basically stuck babysitting the unwanted fief for a very long time while it's militia builds up. Although you can defend it, you cannot move far enough away to provocatively hunt down the enemy and you may not be able to get the recruits you want since it is almost certainly in an enemy area and not the faction you joined.

For the complains about being given unwanted fiefs, last time I checked there's a pattern for distributing fiefs. Typically if the king thinks you have too few fiefs, or you recently joined and everyone else has about enough fiefs, then the king will likely give you the new fief. So it would be wise to keep an eye on where your kingdom is attacking and what's your desired fief. You could either wait for other lords to siege this fief then become a vassal hoping it will be given to you, or become a vassal and siege it yourself. But if some other clan also has too few fiefs then it's not guaranteed for the player to get the new fief. Getting the desired fief as your first requires some "Timing". Then when new fiefs adjacent to your fief are taken and you haven't reached your "fief limit", you will at least get nominated.

The issue is being forcibly given fiefs that may be too physically far from you for you to ever get there before they're lost and

About the physically too far case, in my experience the king likes to give new fiefs to adjacent clans, or clan that has no fiefs at all. So if it's your first fief then it's no surprise. If it's just far from your other fiefs then it's a weird issue.

In other words, if the king is distributing fiefs considering the strength of clans, then sounds about right to me. Otherwise how would you like the fiefs to be distributed? Aren't the distributed new fiefs always the ones on the front line?

One last resort: do some random staff or save and load to change the RNG before voting.

So the game now is either cheating by smith or owning a town. Everything else is a waste of time

I don't rely on daily income anymore, the thing is just unstable. Smithing gets boring so easily and personally I don't use it much. So for me, the best way I found is to do some good old trading and reach 100k denar. Then start to train troops, get fiefs, and lose money everyday. But the 100k will help you get through this phase. After establishing a military force, then make money by fighting big fights. Daily income is just, don't bother.

@AnandaShanti
I thought a few advises might help someone. You should have money and a clan army when you join a kingdom.
I know fief assignements and military campaigns are too randomized and it can be frustrating. My last advise, don't try to make progress in the game. It's more fun if you just roleplay. The best part in Warband was playing adventurer. Only a few mods could be played at the strategic level.

@AnandaShanti
I thought a few advises might help someone. You should have money and a clan army when you join a kingdom.
I know fief assignements and military campaigns are too randomized and it can be frustrating. My last advise, don't try to make progress in the game. It's more fun if you just roleplay. The best part in Warband was playing adventurer. Only a few mods could be played at the strategic level.
I think those are bad advises.

I don't rely on daily income anymore, the thing is just unstable. Smithing gets boring so easily and personally I don't use it much. So for me, the best way I found is to do some good old trading and reach 100k denar. Then start to train troops, get fiefs, and lose money everyday. But the 100k will help you get through this phase. After establishing a military force, then make money by fighting big fights. Daily income is just, don't bother.
as I've said, you can make up to couple millions if you get a lucky "unlock" roll in Smith before 1 in-game month has passed (I know it's boring, but that may guarantee that you'll never run out of buck, specially because when you come close to it all you have to do is craft a single weapon and sell it for max town gold, 67k was the most I've got from a single town I think). Or you can craft a bundle if you roll ridiculously priced javelin parts (cheapest to craft), and sell them on a need-to basis...
Towns can hold more, I've seen up to 120k in a town once, but by that point I already owned half the map and money wasn't a problem anymore. I think that 1.4.1 has broken the game, it's pure bonkers tbh. I've tried playing it and I've just rage quit, in fact I'm starting to have doubts if I should keep playing, the game has been giving me more grief than fun, it's not even good for killing time anymore.

This was what motivated my post:
This problem happens only in the beginning of the campaign when you don't have fiefs, money and influence.
In late game you have anything and if you receive a caste you can defend it.

So I wrote it to show how it is possible to defend a castle in the beginning, without influence and just with money from workshops. Feel free to ignore it though, it's just my opinion

I think that 1.4.1 has broken the game, it's pure bonkers tbh. I've tried playing it and I've just rage quit, in fact I'm starting to have doubts if I should keep playing, the game has been giving me more grief than fun, it's not even good for killing time anymore.

True. I also quit playing after 1.4.1 for the same reason, the thing is just not fun anymore. Whether start a new campaign or continue one, it's just the same grinding, with some new no-brainer feature to make the campaign last longer. I just hope the devs could treat the disease not the symptom but apparently that's just too hard for them.

You can give your castle to another lord from kingdome menu => fiefs => propose ( costs 200 influence) , as you can take (in theory) almost any town of the kingdom you serve . But there will be voting you almost never win , because stupid king overrides the odds . But I did take some towns like that, and gave away castles I don't want like that too.
Anyway , you need around 300 influence and save/load ...

I Think, if u take A fief, 4 the king, u should be able to have the fief or denars
And if the king offers you A fief, the same option

Back
Top Bottom