Statement Regarding Plans For MP

Users who are viewing this thread

So someone who never shot with a bow is as accurate as a ranger expert? Realism...
Someone who never trained on horseback is as fast and stable as an expert cav? Realism...

Please change this.

It is very easy to step aside and make the cav miss the hit. It is very common for players who are dueling, to run around each other, that makes it very dificult to hit the enemy and not your teammate, Ive seen this situation many times. And cav "allways beeing better" isn't only not inarguable, even more, its not true at all. And how is mentioning the possibility to choose cav right from the beginning irrelevant? It makes mounting a horse as an other class way less appealing.

Again, for a half-decent cav player it is not hard. Even if they do miss, it is easy to do so in a manner that is safe from hitting your team mate, and you are also safe from the opponent. As such, you can simply attack again, and again, from safety, with the option of speeding off to help somewhere else.

I will state again very clearly: a mounted unit is stronger in almost all circumstances than an unmounted one. The only limiting factor is if you are crap at playing cav.

It is very easy to step aside and make the cav miss the hit. It is very common for players who are dueling, to run around each other, that makes it very dificult to hit the enemy and not your teammate, Ive seen this situation many times. And cav "allways beeing better" isn't only not inarguable, even more, its not true at all. And how is mentioning the possibility to choose cav right from the beginning irrelevant? It makes mounting a horse as an other class way less appealing.

i don’t like the “git gud” argument in general, but you are talking about your experience. i don’t have a problem hitting the enemy whilst they’re fighting my teammate, I don’t have a problem re-positioning my stab it the enemy tries to dodge, I don’t have a problem knocking down enemies so my team can swarm them. these are things you can learn to do very accurately and consistently.

and no actually, the price of cav classes actually makes it MORE appealing to pick infantry and then go find a horse to get on. why pay 190 for heavy cav when you can pay 140 for heavy inf and mount a stray horse? as others have said, stray horses are not rare - they are very common because skirmish is a multi-life mode. a 140 value heavy inf can instantly become a 190 value heavy cavalry just by finding an armoured horse. is it not obvious how that’s terrible for balancing? that troops can increase their value to that extent just by finding something on the battlefield?

cavalry are much better than infantry, read OGL’s post for some of the reasons why. that doesn’t mean there’s no place for infantry, at least some factions can make it work as a fight-instigator, but cavalry is incredibly powerful at the moment.

Again, for a half-decent cav player it is not hard. Even if they do miss, it is easy to do so in a manner that is safe from hitting your team mate, and you are also safe from the opponent. As such, you can simply attack again, and again, from safety, with the option of speeding off to help somewhere else.

I will state again very clearly: a mounted unit is stronger in almost all circumstances than an unmounted one. The only limiting factor is if you are crap at playing cav.

On an open field, 1v1 I would agree with you, but not in Skirmish. Getting stopped by lances will result in some hits, but mostly dont kill you, but there is allways an archer aiming at you, just waiting to give a headshot when you stop. And don't let me start with javelins, they can one hit you with full health.

I play several skirmish games almost every day and really rarely see non cav players mounting horses, even more rarely, make good use of it, I think that speaks for itself.

because skirmish is filled with players that are worse than the SP bots that have no idea what they’re doing. OGL and I are talking about what competent players do.

It’s actually hard to get stopped, you can just double tap S if an infantry with a spear targets you and go in a different direction. you can just circle and look for a good opening, and, once you’re stuck in, the ground troops can barely damage your horse so you can just stay there.

cavalry in this game are not most powerful in 1v1 with other classes, they are most powerful in group engagements. the knockdowns they can apply, the infinite 1 hit kill couches into backs and the lack of damage horses take from infantry in close proximity guarantees that cav can always *in the hands of a competent player* determine the outcome of the fight.

infantry being able to mount horses will be less of a problem once cavalry are nerfed, but I still don’t see how you can balance class costs if heavy inf can become heavy cav (and increase their class value by up to 50 gold) just by finding a horse.

How does doing those actions make you feel in game?
Firstly, that is not overpowering unless you learn to play all classes. Two, as an archer, aiming from a horse, even with my previous warband experience, is tough here (though it gives me mobility). While being able to pick up other classes' stuff is nifty, you still need to learn it. And it is not easy.

Firstly, that is not overpowering unless you learn to play all classes. Two, as an archer, aiming from a horse, even with my previous warband experience, is tough here (though it gives me mobility). While being able to pick up other classes' stuff is nifty, you still need to learn it. And it is not easy.
HA in bannerlord is super easy tbh.

?? not like it matters that much does it, there are people with 1500h or 2000h in bannerlord alone...

people already played multiple classes in warband and bannerlord is far easier to get into them. (not to mention most people are already experienced in all 3 classes to some degree) But playin multiple different ones should be a good thing by design, just need to get the horses (armor and hp) and bows(dmg and bit accuracy) balanced out, once heavy infantry is nerfed aswell.

because skirmish is filled with players that are worse than the SP bots that have no idea what they’re doing. OGL and I are talking about what competent players do.

It’s actually hard to get stopped, you can just double tap S if an infantry with a spear targets you and go in a different direction. you can just circle and look for a good opening, and, once you’re stuck in, the ground troops can barely damage your horse so you can just stay there.

cavalry in this game are not most powerful in 1v1 with other classes, they are most powerful in group engagements. the knockdowns they can apply, the infinite 1 hit kill couches into backs and the lack of damage horses take from infantry in close proximity guarantees that cav can always *in the hands of a competent player* determine the outcome of the fight.

infantry being able to mount horses will be less of a problem once cavalry are nerfed, but I still don’t see how you can balance class costs if heavy inf can become heavy cav (and increase their class value by up to 50 gold) just by finding a horse.
I dont know if the "competent player" argument for why they should get on a horse is very logical, everyone has their own playstyle and jumping on a horse any chance someone gets is kinda retarded. I have a different outlook on horses since im more of an infantry player if anything. I use them as a dragoon would, by using them to get to the battle rather than fighting on top of them unless I spawn in with them in the first place, then ill use as intended. But to say that the logical choice for a competent player as a heavy infantry to do is to jump on the nearest horse, is in my opinion a bit lacking in common sense, since everyone has their own skill set whether it be suspicously good archers, or talented swordsman/ cavalry, you cant put everyone under the same scrutiny.

I dont know if the "competent player" argument for why they should get on a horse is very logical, everyone has their own playstyle and jumping on a horse any chance someone gets is kinda retarded. I have a different outlook on horses since im more of an infantry player if anything. I use them as a dragoon would, by using them to get to the battle rather than fighting on top of them unless I spawn in with them in the first place, then ill use as intended. But to say that the logical choice for a competent player as a heavy infantry to do is to jump on the nearest horse, is in my opinion a bit lacking in common sense, since everyone has their own skill set whether it be suspicously good archers, or talented swordsman/ cavalry, you cant put everyone under the same scrutiny.

well of course someone who's good at infantry but bad at cavalry shouldn't get on a horse, but it's a fact that cavalry has a higher value than infantry right now. my point is that a heavy infantry can increase their class value by up to 50 gold just by finding a stray heavy horse.

I play several skirmish games almost every day and really rarely see non cav players mounting horses, even more rarely, make good use of it, I think that speaks for itself.

That means absolutely nothing. Just because people sleep on certain tactics and skillsets, this does not mean that it should be doable. I play daily skirmishes aswell and when I spot a rider dead, I pick up his lance and horse and go on killstreaks. All from the comfort of my infantry class. Doing cav's job while not wasting my gold. This mechanic is absolutely broken and it should be fixed. The same goes for certain archery aspects.

Just gonna step in with my long-unused account: I have an absolute blast playing the low-cost classes, mostly Vlandian/Batt/Khuzait peasants. I don't like relying on shields unless the enemy team has too many projectiles, and you have a broad scope of options.

I am not exactly sure as to why you would gimp yourself by not using shields as infantry, since you can't do much without shields against any decent enemy. Still, peasant classes are useless. People used to meme with naked 2handers in warband, that does not mean they were useful. Against people who are objectively bad at the game, sure, but not against any kind of half-decent opponent.

You are right but we need to start somewhere. We are not super fine-tuning at the moment, just trying to identify anything that is too good or too bad, whether it is a faction, a troop, a weapon or a perk. Random as the MM may be, certain trends are still very easy to spot.

I agree that Tournaments or any other competitive environment is the best way to observe what works and what is broken so we are working very hard to make that a possibility within our technology.

Yesterday's DM vs Gibby team proved a lot of the points discussed here especially on cav spam, useless factions without infantry. What I saw in that clan war is that it's literally impossible to 1vX (more than 1 opponent) and how kick can be abused OFFENSIVELY. I always think that kick should be a defensive move. Currently, if learned and utilized in such perfection as the DM clan does it, it's just stupid. Because it allows a free hit to take place. In warband it was a move that punished facehuggers who constantly moved towards you and it should return to being that. It's an extremely cheesy way to open an opponent in bannerlord.

Another note on that match yesterday is how stupidly slow infantry is. You cannot escape anything, at all. You cannot dodge arrows, you cannot get away from cav effectively and you certainly cannot 'dance' around opponents. At the same skill tier, players who have 2 players, will almost always kill the 1 player. The problem here is not the odds, but the chance that is not given to that 1 opponent to counter. Movement is extremely slow in my opinion except from backpedalling which is fast enough to be a non-skillful outranger button. WAD movement should feel better and S nerfed.

Lastly, in many sequences that the cav charged (both gibby's side and DM's) it was very evident that there the utility of cavalry is extremely overpowered. Bumps and knockdowns might be the biggest asset they have, but the most frustrating thing is that you cannot effectively do damage to them if they are very close. Collision capsules have to go and become actually fun, I dont care about realism at this point, because it's clearly not fun.

Last edited:
That means absolutely nothing. Just because people sleep on certain tactics and skillsets, this does not mean that it should be doable. I play daily skirmishes aswell and when I spot a rider dead, I pick up his lance and horse and go on killstreaks. All from the comfort of my infantry class. Doing cav's job while not wasting my gold. This mechanic is absolutely broken and it should be fixed. The same goes for certain archery aspects.

I am not exactly sure as to why you would gimp yourself by not using shields as infantry, since you can't do much without shields against any decent enemy. Still, peasant classes are useless. People used to meme with naked 2handers in warband, that does not mean they were useful. Against people who are objectively bad at the game, sure, but not against any kind of half-decent opponent.

Yesterday's DM vs Gibby team proved a lot of the points discussed here especially on cav spam, useless factions without infantry. What I saw in that clan war is that it's literally impossible to 1vX (more than 1 opponent) and how kick can be abused OFFENSIVELY. I always think that kick should be a defensive move. Currently, if learned and utilized in such perfection as the DM clan does it, it's just stupid. Because it allows a free hit to take place. In warband it was a move that punished facehuggers who constantly moved towards you and it should return to being that. It's an extremely cheesy way to open an opponent in bannerlord.

Another note on that match yesterday is how stupidly slow infantry is. You cannot escape anything, at all. You cannot dodge arrows, you cannot get away from cav effectively and you certainly cannot 'dance' around opponents. At the same skill tier, players who have 2 players, will almost always kill the 1 player. The problem here is not the odds, but the chance that is not given to that 1 opponent to counter. Movement is extremely slow in my opinion except from backpedalling which is fast enough to be a non-skillful outranger button. WAD movement should feel better and S nerfed.

Lastly, in many sequences that the cav charged (both gibby's side and DM's) it was very evident that there the utility of cavalry is extremely overpowered. Bumps and knockdowns might be the biggest asset they have, but the most frustrating thing is that you cannot effectively do damage to them if they are very close. Collision capsules have to go and become actually fun, I dont care about realism at this point, because it's clearly not fun.

Thank you for the write up, I am very interested in observing clan matches. Is there a VOD or stream I can catch?

Just to add, any organized clan that plays competitive matches feel free to invite me to watch and possibly discuss.

Back
Top Bottom