Please help me TW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Before we begin, I'm sorry if my English were bad. I'm not fluent in English.

@Callum Hello, I'm trying to translate names of Aserai culture, such as person's and place's and minor faction's, into my language, Korean.

But I cannot translate them correctly if I don't know what do they look like in Arabic letters, whether they are Arabic dialects or not and suchlike.

So, what I need to know to translate them correctly,

Names of Aserai culture in Arabic letters with 'Harakat' (حَرَكَات, which means 'short vowels mark' It helps me to know how they sound)

Elements_of_Arabic_script_improved.png

(The blue things are 'Harakat')

And whether they are Modern Standard Arabic (MSA, Fusha) or Arabic dialects (Ammiyya). If they are Arabic dialects, which dialects they are
(As far as I know, Arabic dialects have different pronunciations from MSA)

Also if possible, the pronunciations of them in voice files or International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).

Well, that's all I need to know.

Taleworlds please help me, help me to provide better and correct translations to people.

There are no people who can read or write Arabic in the Korean translation team, so I need your help.

Thank you for reading it and please give me feedback if there are some problems in thread.

Last edited:
Why do you need to translate from arabic to korean? Why not directly from english names?

Anyways, maybe this guy that made this thread could help you out.
Aserai names to English

I'm not good at explaining something in English but, I will give it a try

First, we translate Arabic names to Korean by doing a transliteration.

So, I need to know accurate pronunciations of them.

Second, I cannot know accurate pronunciations if they are in English namely, the Latin alphabet.

Because in the course of translate Arabic alphabets which don't have the same pronunciation in English into English,

Some Arabic alphabets get the same English alphabet with others.

For example, ظ, ز are different letters but in English, they are 'z' identically.

And in the game, there is a place named 'Ezbet Nahul', that 'e' from 'Ezbet' can be literally 'e' or
إ or ع and the translation is different depending on which letter 'e' is.

That's why I need to know them in Arabic alphabets with 'Harakat', I cannot know the accurate pronunciations of Arabic words or alphabet in the English alphabet.

Hopefully, you understand.

And thank you, I will check that thread out.

Hi find123 - it's based on fusha but without case nunation. There's no 1:1 correspondence between vowels and consonants, though, and the 'ain and hamza are usually just not shown. Ie, Aserai is like this: عصراءي, "of Asera." So there's not really a system.

Hi find123 - it's based on fusha but without case nunation. There's no 1:1 correspondence between vowels and consonants, though, and the 'ain and hamza are usually just not shown. Ie, Aserai is like this: عصراءي, "of Asera." So there's not really a system.

Uhh well, it's quite surprising that they are not ammiyya. And so, you can't give me these names in Arabic alphabet with Harakat and pronunciations of them?

I can't really do all of them. All the languages in the game have been tweaked a bit so there's not necessarily a right answer.

1) Personal names and clan names are mostly based off pre-Islamic or early Islamic names.
2) There are some Arabic toponyms - Husn for castle, Ain for spring, Bir for well, Ezba/t for estate (that might be an anachronism, though), Kafr for village. You can probably work those out with a Hans Wehr.
3) Some other places - ie, Iyakis - are supposed to reflect that modern Arabic toponymy is often very layered. Ie, a place in Egypt might be ancient Egyptian/Coptic => Greek => Arabic. Every transliteration changes the word slightly, so if the final transliteration into Korean is a little "off," that actually adds to the authenticity.

I can't really do all of them. All the languages in the game have been tweaked a bit so there's not necessarily a right answer.

1) Personal names and clan names are mostly based off pre-Islamic or early Islamic names.
2) There are some Arabic toponyms - Husn for castle, Ain for spring, Bir for well, Ezba/t for estate (that might be an anachronism, though), Kafr for village. You can probably work those out with a Hans Wehr.
3) Some other places - ie, Iyakis - are supposed to reflect that modern Arabic toponymy is often very layered. Ie, a place in Egypt might be ancient Egyptian/Coptic => Greek => Arabic. Every transliteration changes the word slightly, so if the final transliteration into Korean is a little "off," that actually adds to the authenticity.
Any information about a Brazilian translation?

Thank you for kind answers, that's interesting and who is Hans Wehr and are there more informations which can help me out?

Last edited:
And how can I translate those names without them in the Arabic alphabet? should I translate them directly from the Latin alphabet?

It is not ideal for the language purist, but I suspect you might not have a choice :smile: . To be honest, I don't think that the average player would really feel so strongly about the accuracy as long as the names are similar and kind of make sense. I know that for movies and books names are sometimes changed quite a lot (I am Italian and I can tell you that the names in Harry Potter books translations are completely different from their English version. Same with movie titles).

Back
Top Bottom