Broken savegame system made me quit.

Users who are viewing this thread

It is really hard to say, but I am freaking tired... Tired of one of my favorite games... And how sarcastic it is, the reason is: savegames. I cannot continue my game now, because I added a bunch of mods, and now at some point, my savegames dont load, I dont know what is happening at that point(I dont even know that mods are guilty, because a friend of mine play without mods, and have the same issues), I used to create different savegames, just to find out, where is breaking point. its my save game number 16, it loads. 17 doesnt... It is the 3rd time I start over a new game in 1.3 stable, and it turned out to be a nightmare. I played pretty good on 1.2 with all 60 mods instaled, but after update, I wasted a lot of time finding which mods are not letting the game even start, then I found, one by one, all mods, that dont let me create a game, some of them got updated to 1.3 some of them still works, anyway I managed to start the game somehow, and now this... The reason for this long rant is, talewords could predict that, savegames are vital. It is not the first time I play early access, I am huge fan of 7 Days To Die game, which is in early access for five or six years already lol, I dont even remember when I started playing it. But main reason I remain the fan of that game, they are making huge updates one after another, but keep periods. So we have time to test everything, and simply play. And oppsite situation is in bannerlord, I spend 5-6 hours to tune up everything and manage to play for 1 or 2. It is luxury, and does not worth it. So I am out. And no, I can not play without mods, because vanilla is pretty boring atm. We need savegame editor, it is vital, or simply flawlessly working savegame system. So i'll wait for all issues with savegames to be fixed or at least for a decent savegame editor, until that, the game is unplayable for me.

Last edited:
Yeah it is definitelly TaleWorlds fault that you broke your game with 60 hackish mods, that were never assumed compatible with each other, and probably half of them are not even compatible with more than one specific Bannerlord version.
I already mentioned that all worked good in 1.2. And that people complain to broken savegames even without playing with mods. Saving in city screens, -1 day quests, disappeared companions and many other. The rant was not about "hackish mods", it was about savegame system, which is far from fluent. Anyway, savegame editor is just a matter of time. I am under emotions, because of my own desires, I understand that, so dont act smart, and of course it is a good reason to make fun of (like any other rant). But EA is not an excuse for everything. Starting over again and again is not a good idea.

P.S.I remember times playing with hundreds of mods in minecraft without any compatibility issues, because the design of mod support is flawless, what cannot be said about Bannerlord. Current mod design is just a joke, even fallout 3 had better mod support. But that is another story.

I already mentioned that all worked good in 1.2.

Them working for a time doesn't mean they didn't corrupt your game data. And most likely they did.

And that people complain to broken savegames even without playing with mods.

If it happens without mods then it is valid to be reported as a bug.
Which is not a case here, you explicitly broke your game by installing mods not compatible with each other or with new version of Bannerlord.

P.S.I remember times playing with hundreds of mods in minecraft without any compatibility issues, because the design of mod support is flawless, what cannot be said about Bannerlord. Current mod design is just a joke, even fallout 3 had better mod support. But that is another story.

Current mod support is not a joke, because there is not even official mod support yet. There is no modding API or anything.
Current mods, no matter how good, technically are hacks, they inject code into Bannerlord assembly, but without any assumption or verification of compatibility with each other or with different Bannerlord versions. Any game logic or data may change with each next version, because game is in constant development, and there is no backward compatible mod API, because there is no mod API at all, and there is no mod API at all because game is not finished and mod API is further in roadmap.

Them working for a time doesn't mean they didn't corrupt your game data. And most likely they did.
Savegame crashes every time I start a new game on 1.3, after some number of saves. It is not a savegame transferred from 1.2, it is new game.

If it happens without mods then it is valid to be reported as a bug.
Of course it is, and people do a hell amount of reports.

Current mod support is not a joke, because there is not even official mod support yet. There is no modding API or anything.
Current mods, no matter how good, technically are hacks, they inject code into Bannerlord assembly, but without any assumption or verification of compatibility with each other or with different Bannerlord versions. Any game logic or data may change with each next version, because game is in constant development, and there is no backward compatible mod API, because there is no mod API at all, and there is no mod API at all because game is not finished and mod API is further in roadmap.
Ok, that is true. And I do not demand something right now and in working condition. The post was about the need for savegame editor(yes it was a little bit dramatic, because of frustration of time wasted). The issue is in vanilla, and it just gets worse, if you use mods

Anyway it was out of my plans (getting nervous in my 36 because of some stupid game, no matter how good it is). I should rest in some more "stable" environment.

P.S. Now I understand people which complain about ea games, and I really feel ashamed not getting into their situations previously.

Savegame crashes every time I start a new game on 1.3, after some number of saves. It is not a savegame transferred from 1.2, it is new game.

then stop using mods with untested game versions.

Do you have 60 mods working with 1.2? Play them with 1.2. Create a backup/copy of your save folders, only for that combination, and use Steam beta to use the 1.2 game version.

Once you are tired/done with that campaign you can go and try a new combination.

Why are you mixing things like crazy and hoping they will work? Why not just use the one you know it works?

You can even backup the game folder if you want to save your [1.2+mods] while trying new stuff.

w7jrxfd7prw41.png

Sorry, it had to be posted.

Because we all want new stuff and in big quantities? And tbh, half of these mods were "fixes".

They weren't fixes, they were hacks. They were a band-aid to change a perceived problem. It is possible that the mods were poorly put together and just worked before a placeholder was fixed by Taleworld. Thats the danger of modding an incomplete game.

They weren't fixes, they were hacks. They were a band-aid to change a perceived problem. It is possible that the mods were poorly put together and just worked before a placeholder was fixed by Taleworld. Thats the danger of modding an incomplete game.
Thanks Cap. You talk like modding did some disservice to the game. These are hacks technically, it doesnt change the fact that they "fix" things to how they suppose to work by TW.

Thanks Cap. You talk like modding did some disservice to the game. These are hacks technically, it doesnt change the fact that they "fix" things to how they suppose to work by TW.

I'm just saying modding can make an unfinished system more unstable. Most mods for any game get unstable after an update. I had to do a lot of work for my daughter Minecraft mods to work. I had to update all kinds of stuff every time WoW updated many years ago. Warband had issues with updates and mods. Well, Bannerlord is getting updates and hot fixes at a fairly quick pace, things are gone break in a mod, especially when you have a lot of them installed.

Because we all want new stuff and in big quantities? And tbh, half of these mods were "fixes".

its either or. Either play the vanilla game and use the latest version, or play the mods and use the version they support.

mods are hacks. They are wonderful hacks and can improve gameplay and fun. But they are still hacks. Once you use them, you are assuming the risk of things breaking. If you decided to take that risk, you cant complain when things break.

Either or. Play with mods and the correct version. Or play vanilla. And no matter what, keep backups of your saves lol, because both options are unstable at this point.

Modding does a lot of wonderful things for a game.

Installing a heck of them that may or may not be compatible with new versions of the game, as well as each other, and then blaming the developers for your own actions DOES a disservice not only to the game, but to the devs, AND to the the hard-working modders at the same time.

It's this kind of bullshi* that's currently eating up the community, and these baseless accusations make things worse. Modders will never claim any responsibility to have their mods compatible with everything, nor will any devs take that same respobsibility -- that responsibility solely falls on you, and you alone.

Imagine modding the HELL out of your game and being surprised when the game crashes or breaks.

You're a fool if you believe this is Taleworlds fault. This is your fault and only yours.

All of my saves are broken and I am okay with that.

Want to know why? Because I knew that modding my game would lead to the chance of it breaking the saves... Just like Skyrim modding.

I lost a 50 hour save because of a mod that fixed the mercenary system at the very beginning. I don't recall adding any new mods, or deleting any current ones, or even if my game updated to a new branch, but it is certainly possible that one or more of those things happened. That mod was even made completely unnecessary because TW fixed the issue which just poured salt in the wound haha. However, it did teach me a lot of valuable lessons though. When I started my next playthrough, I found the mods that worked at a specific version of the main branch, and am now committed to using only those mods for the rest of the playthrough. Haven't had any major problems since. It is certainly a stupid idea to either add new mods to a current playthrough, or update to a new branch while having lots of mods enabled. I love this game so much that as soon as I reach a stopping point on a campaign, I get excited to a start a new one, with an updated branch that fixes some things, and more mods to fix even more.

Vortex also had some problems, you find on their dashboard a changelog and an announcements about bannerlord.

I will try to delete my "%appdata%/vortex/plugins" later to see if it fixes some of my old savegames.

I agree game is to boring without mods ?‍♂️

I dont blame TW for the EA state of the game. But I thought they had far greater vision than what seems to be the product they are making.

I have been extremely critic with TW since launch, but this time they are totally innocent, you probably did not read the fine prints and comments on the mods...

Back
Top Bottom