Trying to add a new pistol into the game, animation is messed up

Users who are viewing this thread

Pretty self-explanatory. The pistol animations themselves are aright, I didn't touch them at all, it's this particular pistol model. Every time I try to shoot, my character holds the pistol pointed at the ground while "aiming" (as shown in the pic). Is there some simple way to fix this without getting in-depth into animations and modelling? I've tried rotating the pistol's mesh in Blender, but it didn't solve the issue. Strangely enough, most osp pistols I've found have this issue, with only a few actually working as intended. I'm wondering if it's because they were pre-packed to be used with some custom animations, but then, how does that even work?
7vJPaWe.jpg

Solution
I think your issue is that the pistols in the pack are adjusted to use a different animation. You see how the grip fits into the hand well and thats why it points down? Thats what happens when you have a pistol adjusted to fit the grip but animation adjusted to fit the grip of a flintlock with a grip like this https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-hqf...5314_1K__92836.1580151115.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

What you need to do, unless you are to make new animations, is to readjust the pistols that point down, in OpenBrf.
Talking of OpenBrf, you can SEE the issue there, compare the grid behind the Beretta and the revolver images, see? Theyre not going same direction
Is it only this one pistol-mesh doing while all the others are working fine?
The vanilla flintlock works fine, the 1911 Colt from "Into the trenches" (osp multiplayer mod) is alright, the revolvers from "19th century firearms" osp works fine also.
The pistols from "Lifeless" osp (the Beretta from the image is from that pack), from "Archieduke's Steampunk osp", from "Sword and planet osp" (blaster pistols; by Mort, i think), and from some other (Chinese?) osp packs all have the issue.
What's more, this issue only persists with pistols, rifles work no problem.

Upvote 0
Then it's indeed strange. You can then only look up in openbrf if the mesh has different flags set or if they are rigged differently.
Well, here are comparisons of the 1911, Beretta, and the revolver from 19thcenturyfirearms, if these will tell you anything:
YkrAmYH.jpg

LYked3W.jpg

pPCjKf5.jpg

On a side-note, the dress-shoes from the lifeless osp, when worn, appear behind the character. Comparing it in Blender to vanilla footwear, they are aligned almost perfectly. I just don't get it. Rigging, I guess, but then, how do i fix it?

Upvote 0
Look at the lines in the background, the have all to be the same to indicate that the mesh is positionated in the same ankles. The ones in the picture in the middle look different from the others. Mark all three meshes at the same time, using Ctrl + LMB and then click at the view-mod (bottom line beneath the picture) to show them all at once.

Upvote 0
Look at the lines in the background, the have all to be the same to indicate that the mesh is positionated in the same ankles. The ones in the picture in the middle look different from the others. Mark all three meshes at the same time, using Ctrl + LMB and then click at the view-mod (bottom line beneath the picture) to show them all at once.
Holy chit! That simplifies viewing a lot! Before this, I'd load meshes into Blender to check their alignment!
But it still doesn't explain why the 'aiming' animation is different for the Berreta, because the 'idle' animation is the same, whereas aligning the pistol in Blender gave nothing.

Upvote 0
You can align them in openbrf as well, right click on the mesh and rotate it. Not sure if you have done that already in openbrf. If you click at the Berreta as the last mesh, you can also select that only the last mesh should get rotatet, so you can select first your reference mesh.

Upvote 0
You can align them in openbrf as well, right click on the mesh and rotate it. Not sure if you have done that already in openbrf. If you click at the Berreta as the last mesh, you can also select that only the last mesh should get rotatet, so you can select first your reference mesh.
Well yeah, just rotating models to view them is not a problem, but rotating them so they're aligned properly in the game is different, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well yeah, just rotating models to view them is not a problem, but rotating them so they're aligned properly in the game is different, right?
rename a correct pistol and your incorrect pistol in OpenBRF to both have the same prefix followed by a dot - say x. OpenBRF then treats them as components of the same mesh called x and locates them on top of each other in the same space. Then in OpenBRF, select the correct pistol first and the wrong one second, then right click and select Rescale-rotate-translate and in the pop-up tick the box to restrict changes to the last selected mesh. Then any changes you make move the incorrect pistol in the same space as the correct one until you manage to align them precisely.

Upvote 0
I think your issue is that the pistols in the pack are adjusted to use a different animation. You see how the grip fits into the hand well and thats why it points down? Thats what happens when you have a pistol adjusted to fit the grip but animation adjusted to fit the grip of a flintlock with a grip like this https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-hqf...5314_1K__92836.1580151115.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

What you need to do, unless you are to make new animations, is to readjust the pistols that point down, in OpenBrf.
Talking of OpenBrf, you can SEE the issue there, compare the grid behind the Beretta and the revolver images, see? Theyre not going same direction

Upvote 0
Solution
Back
Top Bottom