Debating implementation of a Reaction/Like system

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't think that's true. I'm on plenty of forums that have a like system where that has not occurred. People will still say what's on their mind regardless if they get likes or not. Total War Centre for example has the reputation feature, and it doesn't shut down actual criticism. Heck, there's plenty of Facebook groups that have excellent discussions that aren't shut down just because someone doesn't put a like on a particular post or comment.

It's not even remotely like reddit, where with a downvote people can effectively shut down dissenting opinions due to how reddit works (hiding posts/comments that have a certain number of downvotes).
I personally would make 20 forum accounts just to dislike this post.

What I'm thinking you're looking like:
OK_thumb.jpg

I do like the idea of lowering entry barriers for quieter people who don't really want to post +1.
It's probably overly complicated but enabling such a functionality for subforums like some Suggestions might be a thing? Suggestions and Bug reports (as in "yeah I have the same problem") feel like the only thing where you actually might need to gauge support, and where expressing support potentially matters.

I do like the idea of lowering entry barriers for quieter people who don't really want to post +1.
It's probably overly complicated but enabling such a functionality for subforums like some Suggestions might be a thing? Suggestions and Bug reports (as in "yeah I have the same problem") feel like the only thing where you actually might need to gauge support, and where expressing support potentially matters.
As was said previously, posting +1 is not allowed on the forums.
Polls can already be used to gauge support. However, not everyone thinks of using them, my guess is new people are not used to forum software, being used too used to facebook, twitter, youtube and reddit.

The upvote system is already everywhere, so it's refreshing that this forum still doesn't have that. Technical/developmental stuff getting upvoted is fine, because it allows the devs and other people trying to help to easily see what the users want, and what gets the job done is upvoted anyway. Normal discussions don't need such things. It's just too much instant gratification, and treats popular opinions as always better.

If you assume TW know which threads to prioritize, or believe TW has time to read every thread, then the current system ''works''.
There's a reason why the system exemplified here is the norm for a lot of game development forums.
Yet again, I recommend any newcomer jumping straight to this page to read OPs post and not do guesswork.

This is slightly unrelated, but besides bug reports (taleworlds should be checking them all anyway), popular player suggestions from random people are not useful for making a good game. People who don't know anything about game design will suggest things detrimental to the overall experience. The same thing is the case across most mass media, especially films. Lots of films have bad endings because they were focus tested, and the focus group will always prefer that characters they like don't get hurt, or don't go through hardship etc, despite it making for a much less interesting story. The same is the case with games.

What's more, there really aren't that many threads to sort through to make a vote system worth it. This entire forum, from off topic to MP clan threads to non-english language subsections gets like 2000 posts a day, which is honestly not much at all, especially considering that like 10 million people now own this game and it's only been released for about 40 days. The majority of those posts are congregated in a handful of spammy suggestion threads anyway, the contents of which aren't useful for the developers.

So, I just thought I'd reassure & help out readers struggling with the logical queef that is the claim that a system designed to show and influence future activity via the presentation of a quantized log of past activity only impacts said future activity in a good & wholesome fashion.

Yes, it is of course absurd. Consider this a +1 to your entire existence for presenting evidence of sapience, if only to yourself.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but please give us the option to react with a thumbs up or down to comments. It would be helpful to see what level of player support certain ideas and suggestions have. Paradox Interactive already has this option, and that alone is why I prefer their forum over this one. Even the devs would probably benefit as it'd allow them to browse through the "popular" suggestions while ignoring the less popular ones.

I want to like this so badly HAHA

Generally-speaking reviews/forums etc, don't tend to be a good compass for feedback due to selection bias. Arguably people who are more emotionally distraught/angry/upset are more driven to make complaints as opposed to say people who're happy or content, this produces an inaccurate dataset.

Generally-speaking reviews/forums etc, don't tend to be a good compass for feedback due to selection bias. Arguably people who are more emotionally distraught/angry/upset are more driven to make complaints as opposed to say people who're happy or content, this produces an inaccurate dataset.
Not always true for an established community. The opposite may in fact occur where a group of conservative members become distraught, angry or upset if someone attempt to change stuff.

As I said earlier in this thread, trying never hurts as long as you can revert the action. I have yet to see someone against this idea being subjective about it.

Rather, it appears to exist some users who prefer to cynically ramble theories about what would occur and fail to see any positive potiential, whilst some prove them wrong with evidence, further developing the idea and hold valid arguments, but are quick to be shut down by the flatearthers.

Some people just need a break from the internet for their own health and benefit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom