SP - General Region-specific units [Suggestion]

Users who are viewing this thread

Pretty self-explanatory suggestion, really, so allow me to present some examples as to which kingdom would have which units / nationalities / minor cultures and where. Since we don't get much lore on other smaller cultures present in Calradia, most of these suggestions will be based on what we know from Warband [factions].

Vlandia

• Rhodoks, southern Vlandia (and please add some mountains down there). Rhodoks, unsurprisingly would be famous for their pikemen, crossbowmen and mercenaries(?) and their weak light cavalry (mostly for scouting I suppose).

• Swadians, rest of Vlandia. Vlandians would be famous of course for their knights, heavy infantry (and longbowmen please!).

Sturgia

• Nords, wherever they first settled when they came into Sturgia as mercenaries I guess? The lore doesn't specify that as far as I'm aware. I would guess the coastal cities and villages? Maybe a few villages populated only by Nords? Or even better, make them settle where their future kingdom would approx. be located, namely western Sturgia. They would be known for their huscarls and.. is that it? No seafaring implemented atm, can't give them longboats either. Hmm.
  • (And I say Nords to mean 'pure Nords', who haven't completely assimilated with the rest of Sturgia)

• Vaegirs, eastern Sturgia*. Pretty decent cavalry, two-handed heavy inf, and decent archers.

The remaining Sturgian lands experienced a cultural split, with the Nords living in the west and the Vaegirs in the east.
(https://mountandblade.fandom.com/wiki/Sturgia)

Khuzait Confederation (A confederacy would make more sense in this context, see: Cuman-Kipchak Cf.)

Other than the Khergit and the Karakhuzait I don't know any other distinct cultures or customs or anything that would make the Khuzait more diverse (the lore tell them they are very diverse, indeed a confederation or khanate of united tribes, but doesn't tell us how or where).

If we're to take inspiration from early-mid medieval Turkic states which the Khuzaits very much seem to be based or heavily inspired from, the Northern part of the khanate / confederation would be occupied by the Calradian equivalent of Kipchaks, and the south by Oghuz clans, make them rivals, maybe? The map size and lack of proper lore is too limiting to speculate this deep, but I'm sure it will be looked into.. sometime... maybe...

i like idea of having region spefic units. i would really like this for the imperial factions who right now are barly any diffrent from each other. could represen that some of the cultures that the empire conquered are still alive in some villages. would also help with the fact that all 3 empires have the same roster of units and if you fought one you have seen everything the imperials have to offer. but i do think that they should add some new fiefs to have these new units. would be kinda annoying if a faction like sturgia would lose some villages where there could is a chance to spawn nobles. also right now there are in certaint parts of the map just empty spaces of land. wich could be used to place these new fiefs

i like idea of having region spefic units. i would really like this for the imperial factions who right now are barly any diffrent from each other. could represen that some of the cultures that the empire conquered are still alive in some villages. would also help with the fact that all 3 empires have the same roster of units and if you fought one you have seen everything the imperials have to offer. but i do think that they should add some new fiefs to have these new units. would be kinda annoying if a faction like sturgia would lose some villages where there could is a chance to spawn nobles. also right now there are in certaint parts of the map just empty spaces of land. wich could be used to place these new fiefs
Indeed, a larger sized map with less wasteland was what I expected but there is little to no improvement from Warband in this regard, like many others unfortunately..

I don't see the point. I don't see what this would really add to the game other then make it more confusing and weird. They are already separated into cultures, no point in make them smaller. It also wouldn't make any sense to give Vlandia longbowmen because it's clear that they are not longbowmen. The cultures and clear differences in their fighting styles and equipment. Vlandia uses crossbows, Battania uses bows, Khuzait use horse archers etc. Also this is Bannerlord, not Warband. Vaegirs, Rhodoks and Swadia come later.

I don't see the point. I don't see what this would really add to the game other then make it more confusing and weird.
It would add a sense of diversity and depth to the factions, both of which I feel are lacking. Also, what could sound 'weird' about this suggestion?
They are already separated into cultures, no point in make them smaller.
Indeed they are small but I argue too small, hence I want them to expand the map size, number of settlements and indeed the cultural (or otherwise) diversity of the land.
It also wouldn't make any sense to give Vlandia longbowmen because it's clear that they are not longbowmen.
It's clear they are not longbowmen because they don't have longbowmen, adding longbowmen would change that don't you think. Is there another indication of them not to have longbows? If any there is an indication for them having longbows and it's their resemblance to Normans.
The cultures and clear differences in their fighting styles and equipment. Vlandia uses crossbows, Battania uses bows, Khuzait use horse archers etc.
..yes, and?
Also this is Bannerlord, not Warband. Vaegirs, Rhodoks and Swadia come later.
The world is still Calradia, however. There are clear indications of Vaegirs and some other Warband cultures being present in the world in BL timeline. Not sure about Rhodoks and Swadians but it does make sense that southern Vlandians (where it should be most mountainous but *cough*) would be more specialized in infantry, whereas Swadians do have decent horsemen because their lands are mostly plains and forests.

It would add a sense of diversity and depth to the factions, both of which I feel are lacking. Also, what could sound 'weird' about this suggestion?
Diversity is not needed and infact giving Vlandia longbow's would make them less diverse because currently clear differences between cultures would get blurred. And it's weird because it does not make sense for cultures to be different in certain places when the terrain doesn't change much.
Indeed they are small but I argue too small, hence I want them to expand the map size, number of settlements and indeed the cultural (or otherwise) diversity of the land.
The map is already huge and if they make it bigger then it will be in very small doses. Like using the lower part of the Aserai. And changing the map in general is to big of a change right now. Balancing what we have now is more urgent.
It's clear they are not longbowmen because they don't have longbowmen, adding longbowmen would change that don't you think. Is there another indication of them not to have longbows? If any there is an indication for them having longbows and it's their resemblance to Normans.
Like said you are on being consistent. You want diversity yet adding bows to culture whom in their lore only use crossbows would only make the world less diverse. And giving them longbows would adding roughly nothing because everyone else already use bows. And they already have bows from the Brotherhood of the Woods.
..yes, and?
I'm saying that every culture is very different and it should stay that way. It would be stupid to give Sturgia Crossbows or to give Battania horse archers.
The world is still Calradia, however. There are clear indications of Vaegirs and some other Warband cultures being present in the world in BL timeline. Not sure about Rhodoks and Swadians but it does make sense that southern Vlandians (where it should be most mountainous but *cough*) would be more specialized in infantry, whereas Swadians do have decent horsemen because their lands are mostly plains and forests.
Yes, but that comes like 200 years later. We have Sturgia, Vlandia, Battania, Khuzaits, Aserai and the Empire. This other factions come later. And there are already Mercenary groups that are are kind of like what you want. Nords are already a thing in Bannerlord.
And i am yet see the the benefit of any of this.
Also if you did this then you would have to do it with every faction to be consistent. It would make zero sense to split up the already tiny Battania.

This is literally the noble troop tree already. You can only recruit them from villages with their culture, which are all located in their home regions.

Diversity is not needed and infact giving Vlandia longbow's would make them less diverse because currently clear differences between cultures would get blurred. And it's weird because it does not make sense for cultures to be different in certain places when the terrain doesn't change much.
Yeah they need to take a second look at the world map, the terrain just doesn't make sense lore-wise not to mention the map size which is way too small than expected.

The map is already huge and if they make it bigger then it will be in very small doses. Like using the lower part of the Aserai. And changing the map in general is to big of a change right now. Balancing what we have now is more urgent.
Oh yeah, that argument. Devs of course should concern themselves mainly with tweaking numbers and irrelevant data - which the modders can easily do and ARE doing - than to, I dunno, add some much-needed content and features to the game, complete ones? Obviously, arrows doing 50 damage instead of 30 or armor doing something to more of something is way more a concerning matter than any and everything else being broken, unfinished and downright not even implemented.
By the way, you were advising the community not to make suggestions some while back if I'm not mistaken so I don't see why you're still here, discussing on this forum. Anyways.

Like said you are on being consistent. You want diversity yet adding bows to culture whom in their lore only use crossbows would only make the world less diverse. And giving them longbows would adding roughly nothing because everyone else already use bows. And they already have bows from the Brotherhood of the Woods.

Eh, you could give Rhodoks crossbows and Swadians longbowmen, so the crossbows are still the minority as Rhodoks are a minority. Anyways the reason I wanted them to have longbows is to truly complete their Norman resemblance but that's not as important.

I'm saying that every culture is very different and it should stay that way. It would be stupid to give Sturgia Crossbows or to give Battania horse archers.
I didn't agree against it, I'm merely arguing that there should be more cultures, at least "minor cultures", because we know there are, and we feel there should be but they aren't implemented in the game, yet.

Yes, but that comes like 200 years later. We have Sturgia, Vlandia, Battania, Khuzaits, Aserai and the Empire. This other factions come later. And there are already Mercenary groups that are are kind of like what you want. Nords are already a thing in Bannerlord.
And i am yet see the the benefit of any of this.
Also if you did this then you would have to do it with every faction to be consistent. It would make zero sense to split up the already tiny Battania.
The other Warband factions as kingdoms, their own sovereign states come later, true, but their cultures and presence are already in the world. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend.

This is literally the noble troop tree already. You can only recruit them from villages with their culture, which are all located in their home regions.
Lol what? You can recruit Khuzait noble units only from Khuzait settlements, but you can also only recruit Khuzait tribesmen from Khuzait settlements, is that what you're saying?

Lol what? You can recruit Khuzait noble units only from Khuzait settlements, but you can also only recruit Khuzait tribesmen from Khuzait settlements, is that what you're saying?

I'm saying that region-specific flavor units for each faction already exist in Bannerlord. That is what the noble troop tree is. You can get regular troops from any settlement, but nobles only come from certain villages.

edit:
Anyways the reason I wanted them to have longbows is to truly complete their Norman resemblance but that's not as important.

The Normans were not known for longbows. They were known for archery in general, but every description and depiction (f.e. Bayeaux Tapestry archers) has Norman archers wielding smaller bows than the tall-as-a-man longbow of Welsh provenance. Longbows spread from Wales to Anglo-Norman England around about the early-13th century, probably by Welsh mercenaries.

Last edited:
I'm saying that region-specific flavor units for each faction already exist in Bannerlord. That is what the noble troop tree is. You can get regular troops from any settlement, but nobles only come from certain villages.
They are not cultures. And they can spawn at any settlement with its original culture, its drop chance if you will is lower than regular units, that's why you might not have encountered one at every settlement.

Yeah they need to take a second look at the world map, the terrain just doesn't make sense lore-wise not to mention the map size which is way too small than expected.
Makes sense.
Oh yeah, that argument. Devs of course should concern themselves mainly with tweaking numbers and irrelevant data - which the modders can easily do and ARE doing - than to, I dunno, add some much-needed content and features to the game, complete ones? Obviously, arrows doing 50 damage instead of 30 or armor doing something to more of something is way more a concerning matter than any and everything else being broken, unfinished and downright not even implemented.
By the way, you were advising the community not to make suggestions some while back if I'm not mistaken so I don't see why you're still here, discussing on this forum. Anyways.
I don't care about mods and thats not what this is about. The devs will add more much-need content once the content they currently have is working properly. They said that right now they are just making sure the game works with little to no bugs or crashes. If they just add more and more stuff without fixing what we have right now, the game would be a junkyard. Yeah that was me who made the thread you are thinking about. But i can tell you didn't read it properly. I said to stop suggesting *NEW* features *FOR NOW* because balance changes and bug/crash fixes is what the game needs RIGHT NOW and the devs say the same thing. And i encouraged the suggesting of balance changes. That's why i'm opposed to this thread because it's not needed as of now. Also i discuss on these forums because i care about this game and i want to help make it better. And i believe i already have.
I didn't agree against it, I'm merely arguing that there should be more cultures, at least "minor cultures", because we know there are, and we feel there should be but they aren't implemented in the game, yet.
They already exist in the form of mercenary clans.
The other Warband factions as kingdoms, their own sovereign states come later, true, but their cultures and presence are already in the world. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend.
Yeah the cultures exist. But this is a different game with different cultures, and it plays differently with a different lore.

They are not cultures. And they can spawn at any settlement with its original culture, its drop chance if you will is lower than regular units, that's why you might not have encountered one at every settlement.

No, not any settlement. You need a village Landowner (Headmen never provide them) with more than 200 influence to even have a chance at spawning nobles, with 300+ being better for consistency.

Think also this would be to much detail work since its nice as it is now with special towns for special needs ^^ How ever they screwed up the balance now with t3-t4 units recruit able at scratch in towns without any "influence" needed and barely cost anything (because people where whining about the grind) ...Other then that Its a cool idea youre having but think they could spend time on something else more needed and this will take more time to set up on the side in a way along with more balancing

I don't care about mods and thats not what this is about. The devs will add more much-need content once the content they currently have is working properly. They said that right now they are just making sure the game works with little to no bugs or crashes. If they just add more and more stuff without fixing what we have right now, the game would be a junkyard. Yeah that was me who made the thread you are thinking about. But i can tell you didn't read it properly. I said to stop suggesting *NEW* features *FOR NOW* because balance changes and bug/crash fixes is what the game needs RIGHT NOW and the devs say the same thing. And i encouraged the suggesting of balance changes. That's why i'm opposed to this thread because it's not needed as of now. Also i discuss on these forums because i care about this game and i want to help make it better. And i believe i already have.
You're gonna have a hard time if you don't care about mods.
They will add more features once the features currently half-implemented are complete? Makes.. sense? Nowhere in this post did I claim this feature was in any way urgent, if you're opposed to suggestions which aren't totally vital FOR THE TIME BEING, how the hell do you go through the Feedback & Suggestions forums because that's exactly what those forums are about. Most suggestions here are for devs to consider and note down so they have an idea of what the community wants and how to implement those wishes in the game.
And for you, are minor tweaks and "balances" like caravans having a party size of 30, high tier troops melting before rock-throwing peasants, this weapon doing 31 damage instead of 30 more instrumental in enhancing your gameplay experience than, say, working diplomacy, depth and immersion, advanced battle tactics and battle AI and what have you?

They already exist in the form of mercenary clans.
They don't. They're "minor factions" who are all mercenaries for some reason, there is some lore behind them, say like the Forest People, Skolderbrotva, Legion of the Betrayed but that has no effect in the gameplay whatso****ingever. You can't even recruit their troop trees, or join their faction. If we saw the Karakhergit tribes roam in the steppes as "nomads" with their camps and what have you, or the Forest people settling in the forests for half a year before roaming for another half year, finding a good spot and then settling in for another six months. None of that is in the game. Like most others in the game, they are "just there".

But this is a different game with different cultures, and it plays differently with a different lore.
Yeah the cultures exist
different game with different cultures
How "different", exactly? Do you know something about the lore we don't or are you just pulling it out your arse?

and it plays differently with a different lore.
Different lore, eh? Is that why it's repeatedly claimed, or more accurately confirmed, to take place 200 years before Warband's timeline?

No, not any settlement. You need a village Landowner (Headmen never provide them) with more than 200 influence to even have a chance at spawning nobles, with 300+ being better for consistency.
Didn't know that. Still, most settlements, and not different cultures or the slightest variation from the rest. They are just "elite" troops if you will, which isn't satisfactory for me.

Think also this would be to much detail work since its nice as it is now with special towns for special needs
It would be but is it acceptable for devs to avoid detail work even it is for the sake of improving the game? Isn't that what not to do as a developer? But I agree, there are more pressing issues or features to implement which would require considerably less time and effort than this one, though this and other suggestions like it are worth considering.

It would be but is it acceptable for devs to avoid detail work even it is for the sake of improving the game? Isn't that what not to do as a developer? But I agree, there are more pressing issues or features to implement which would require considerably less time and effort than this one, though this and other suggestions like it are worth considering.

Indeed and its good you brought it up. However i feel this game has more of an identity crisis atm and with that have a lot of work to both do and figure out what it is. So ill check back in couple of months i think to see if perhaps your idea became true :smile: shame relly because i was right in the middle of making youtube content showing of the might of Sturgs but they will prob be OP by then. Gl and have fun :smile:

Indeed and its good you brought it up. However i feel this game has more of an identity crisis atm and with that have a lot of work to both do and figure out what it is. So ill check back in couple of months i think to see if perhaps your idea became true :smile: shame relly because i was right in the middle of making youtube content showing of the might of Sturgs but they will prob be OP by then. Gl and have fun :smile:
Likewise!

Back
Top Bottom