Beta Patch Notes e1.4.0

Users who are viewing this thread

I stopped playing. There is zero effort on TaleWorlds team to get the functionalities they promised working and now we are in a point where I feel we might just have the final product in our hands, guys. So, enjoy! Mount & Fail: Buggerlord.

But you can now do those repetitve quests. Isn´t that fun?

And as you see, bugs they claimed they fixed (encyclopdedia) still aren´t fixed...
Point of order, the encyclopedia bug they intended to fix is probably fixed, as I referred to earlier in the thread. The one that had to be fixed was a data corruption which destabilises the whole game (was most visible as encyclopedia entries for NPCs pointing to the wrong character entirely). Such bugs are hard to nail down and rectify, and maybe it could still present, but it's not necessarily the same issue as location data for NPC entries being wrong or outdated. There were issues with that before the data corruption bug cropped up during 1.3 in beta.

Anyway, I enjoyed your prediction for future patch notes. It put a smile on my face and I can empathise.

The fact Taleworlds has made bank will help with their resourcing, but you may need to adjust your expectations of what money alone can buy. Doubling the headcount on a team doesn't just happen because you have the money to pay them, you have to find the right people and interview them which takes weeks at least and usually months before everyone you want is ready to start - even for a relatively low skill position like QA tester. The COVID-19 environment doesn't help. On top of that, doubling a team's size doesn't make it twice as productive, in fact it makes it less productive for a period of months after new people are hired before it ramps back up to somewhere between where it was before and the theoretical double it will never reach.

These are organisational realities which people who've never been exposed to rapid company growth situations tend not to realise, or sometimes can forget thanks to the age of instant gratification we live in.

Point of order, the encyclopedia bug they intended to fix is probably fixed,

Not for me, companion X is in settlement Y, I go to settlement Y and he/she/it isn´t there, the encyclopedia still says he/she/it is in settlement Y, even if I wait for more than 2 ingame days.

Playing without any mod on the latest beta branch.

Do your troops also use all 3 siege ladders?

On the money topic:

Modders who work for free are able to fix a lot of the bugs, but I don´t use mods anymore, the minor updates break too many of them. So I´m playing vanilla to just play this "game". Why do I do this if I rant? There is no alternative! If there was, I would be playing it. I love the game, the setting and everything.

Covid 19:

I´m a team leader for the customer support of a huge online merchant, we were able to get all of our employees (about 110) to work from home. We need VPN, a new whitelisting to access our "stuff" and so on. I´m not a developer, but if I would be...were is the difference to code something in the office or from home? You still use the same programms and so on. Really? Where is the difference if I wrote a code in the office or in my home?

Covid 19 doesn´t have a huge impact when it comes down to software developement. If someone catches the virus then it has, and I really hope none of them have Covid 19.

They also never said that they have problems due to Covid 19, maybe they have, I don´t know. They also don´t communicate with their customers. With their pace, we´ll have a finished product in 2028.

I repeat myself, release the source code and the tools and we have a finishied working game in 3 months. TW already did most of the work (engine, assessts and so on) and now they´re just juggling with some numbers when it comes down to updates.

Modders fixed so much stuff (like perks, patrols, diplomacy) and TW does "nothing"...

TW did an awesome job with the engine and the basic game, but I don´t see any improvment since the EA release. My game experience hasn´t improved since launch, it has with mods. but as I said, I don´t use them anymore. Those minor updates break too much without improving my game experience.

So again, why can modders (also work from home for free) can fix a lot of the issues but TW can´t.

Not important: There was a dev blog like 2 years ago about banners, they are not in the game. Modders (without the source code or modding tools) were able to add them, they are not perfect but they work. Why can´t TW do this?

Instead we get "nerf this, buff this" numbers...

TW isn´t an indie company either...not for this price for EA. I played a lot EA games like Rimworld, Kenshi and so on, they were more finished than Bannerlord is. Their updates had more impact than the updates we receive for Bannerlord. And those games cost like 15-20€. They also support modding and did updates that not only changed some numbers...

Last edited:
Next patch notes when the next patch releases in 2-3 weeks:

- Trees now look better
- Clouds now look better
- Fian Champions now have 219 bow skill instead of 220 (they were too strong, so we adjusted them a little bit)
- We turned down the music by 1%
- We looked at the perks, they still look good for us
- Added some pigeons on map X
- We overhauled the butter icon
- Added a new desktop icon
- You can now upgrade all troops with one click (we just used the mod on Nexus)
- Improved the shadow of the banner in the loading screen
- Fixed a crash when it´s full moon, only occurs on Tuesday
- We noticed you liked the option to use custom banners, so we removed it
- Tannery shops now give 221 gold instead of 220 gold
- Lost daughters are now more likely to have red hair
- We have added some random pixel
- The two handed perk now really gives you +3 HP (still testing)
- reduced the price for javelins from 1 million denars to 989693 denars

Major improvment:

- Units now really use their shield (still don´t work)
- All 3 ladders of a siege tower will be used (still don´t work)
- Game should not crash when you start a new game without any mods (still testing)
- Changed the pictures for the culture perks (they still don´t work, but they look nice now)
- added a trainer skill, now after 50 ingame days, one recruit will level up (still testing)
- You can now tell your compaion parties to not **** up (still testing)
- Changed the story of some of the random companions, they now say "This is a good background story"
LMAO, that's beautifully put :LOL:

Not for me, companion X is in settlement Y, I go to settlement Y and he/she/it isn´t there, the encyclopedia still says he/she/it is in settlement Y, even if I wait for more than 2 ingame days.
You're not understanding what I mean regarding the encyclopedia bug. You are describing AN encyclopedia bug, which is probably unrelated to THE encyclopedia bug that was critical and they believe is fixed. Check the bug description, it doesn't mention anything about the issue of NPC locations.

----
Fixed a beta exclusive issue where newly created characters and other objects could get mixed up with each other. This created instability & possibly crashes. It was also responsible for broken companions and encyclopedia problems. The fix does not recover broken beta save games, but it should resolve the issue for new games. You can test this by checking if newly created characters or other objects have their own appropriate encyclopedia pages instead of another character’s or object's page.
----

It would be unwise to assume that fixing a bug responsible for encyclopedia problems means that ALL encyclopedia problems will be automatically fixed. Locations being wrong or out of date is not the same issue as badly initialised data resulting in a character being linked to a completely different character's encyclopedia entry.

Modders can bandaid fix bugs, but as you notice, every time the game is updated those mods break. That's because the mods aren't integrated into the development process. They can achieve things quickly, but they have to be redone when the game is updated. Think that through, and you'll understand why the notion of "give it to the modders and let them finish it" is flawed.

RE: your experience with transitioning to your team's work from home. You are right that writing code can be done from home, in some ways it is actually a better environment for the task. But less than half of a game dev team actually writes code (sometimes much less), and those individuals only spend about half their time actually writing code. The collaboration and coordination required to integrate everything together is hard. Unlike your team members who spend most of their time interacting with customers, and some time interacting with you as their team lead, game dev is a web of the whole team constantly interacting with each other, which is difficult when remote. In any case, I was just as much referring to the complications of hiring in the environment as working in it.

Taleworlds has plenty of room for improvement, but their performance is not indicative of neglect or gross incompetence.

Your play time on Warband and Bannerlord is similar to mine. In spite of the game's many frustrations, towards the end of 1.3 enough serious issues have been ironed out and I've leardned the problematic areas to avoid, such that I've really been enjoying playing as a vassal. Since you are not enjoying it, but you've already racked up 200 hours of playtime, I'd suggest you take a break. You've got your money's worth already, even if your expectations haven't been met. No point raging while you watch the kettle boil, just come back when it goes *ding* and hopefully your expectations will be met then.

Modders fixed so much stuff (like perks, patrols, diplomacy) and TW does "nothing"...

TW is fixing stuff.
EA was said to last about a year, one month is nothing.
You want a feature complete experience, just come back when the game actually releases.

I am no white knight and some things I find really hard to defend. Disabling the banner editor really bothered me.
On the other hand I am getting tired of all those whiny comments. They are absolutely of no use to the Devs. And they do listen to feedback, hence some to of the changes we have already seen. The perk overhaul is being worked on. The diplomacy features - I believe they will be much more fleshed out once they come. Patrols are already modded in. What's the point of DEVs wasting time on delivering the exact same solution the modders already did and it efffing works? The Devs working on actual stuff the modders are currently unable to deliver, how is that not okay? Just ****in cut them some slack already.

And you still can enjoy the game - I am staying on 1.3.0 beta atm, got a nice campaign going. Got some mods going to tune things to my liking - like the customised banners, improved garrisons, armory, collision fixes, realistic battle and whatnot. All is working fine, no minor patch broke my save games. Some crash from time to time happens, so what - no big deal. With over 200 hrs clocked in, got my money's worth already. I guess what im trying to say is either you actively seek and report bugged/broken stuff, go with the not-ideal state of the game and enjoy it as it is or just leave and wait. Lead, follow or get the f out of the way. At the end of the day, nobody's forcing anyone to play. Rant over, have a great weekend everyone :smile:

On the other hand I am getting tired of all those whiny comments. They are absolutely of no use to the Devs. And they do listen to feedback, hence some to of the changes we have already seen. The perk overhaul is being worked on.

Yea, they claimed the perk overhaul is beeing worked on 2 weeks ago? What has changed since release (5 weeks) then? Does my perk to get +1 companion now work? This would improve my game. The community mod does this...maybe they should hire some modders?

Just one example

I´m happy for you if you enjoy this "game". I don´t because of all of this issues.

But hey, the next update maybe nerf those Battanian Champions?! Not if thismatters, units stats are useless too, it´s just atheletics and their equipment which make them OP.

And the devs don´t care about our feedback at all. Sorry to blast your bubble.

You´re right, nobody is forcing me to play. So can you send me my 50€ to my paypal as a refund? If TW said: Pay 50€ to play an early alpha, I wouldn´t have done this.

Last edited:
Bugs encountered for now:
1. CTD when i chose to speak to merchant in a city to accept quest. Loading screen started and CTD without crash report tool opening.
2. Castellan office gives +100 to militia leading to castles with 2k militia and growing lol

Edit.
Additional to second point. I think it will never stop growing which may lead to castles with milions of militia. There's no high enough debuff to stop it.

They have made "a lot of money" with the release, we are talking about an EA game for the full price.
You can't just instantly convert "a lot of money" into a bigger team and more testing capability. Maybe with all the money they'll be able to expand, but it takes time and right now it would actually make the game worse.

But I don´t really see any progress after 5 weeks after the launch. Sure they made some fixes, but the overall gameplay hasn´t improved. I knew that I wasn´t buying the final product, but I thought/hoped there will be major updates after the EA release.
5 weeks with some holidays in between, first two weeks they focused only on fixes and it seems most of their focus is still trying to fix bugs. I'm sure a major update is in the works, but it takes time.
Also, it's funny that people complain that they don't do any testing and then complain that there hasn't been any major update.

Give the source code and the tools to the mod community and we have a finished product after 3 months and no updates like "changed some minor numbers for this and that stuff".
Yeah, right, because the mod community is perfect and will be able to release a balanced, bug free and absolutely better game in 3 months /s

I acknowledge that some modders have done wonders on Warband and many other games, but most modders don't have the knowledge or the experience to work on a game instead of just a mod. If you stop ranting and rellay think about it having the community develop the game is a guarantee of "Design by committee", tons of problems with coordinating different teams/people, no guarantee of support for the future and so many other issues that are much easier to deal with when everyone working on the game does so because it's their job and they're part of the same company.
And while they've promised they'll release the tools to modder, i'm pretty sure legally they can't just release the source code to the public.

were is the difference to code something in the office or from home? You still use the same programms and so on. Really? Where is the difference if I wrote a code in the office or in my home?
It's very different, most of the work remains the same, but remote work brings in tons of other problems (setting up the hardware/software needed, networking, communication between individuals/teams, limiting distractions....)

I´m a team leader for the customer support of a huge online merchant, we were able to get all of our employees (about 110) to work from home. We need VPN, a new whitelisting to access our "stuff" and so on. I´m not a developer, but if I would be...were is the difference to code something in the office or from home? You still use the same programms and so on. Really? Where is the difference if I wrote a code in the office or in my home?
I'm a developer in big gamedev company. We have over 400 people in our office, and there are offices in other countries. Since the beginning of quarantine, everybody have been working remotely. People who don't have suitable hardware at home, were delivered their working PCs. Some people use remote desktop, I prefer to use my home PC. It takes a minute to connect to the server via vpn, run perforce client, get latest version and begin to write your code. You still have your tasks in jira, you have all your colleagues in group chat/discord. I personally find this a more comfortable and productive way of working)

Yea, they claimed the perk overhaul is beeing worked on 2 weeks ago? What has changed since release (5 weeks) then? Does my perk to get +1 companion now work?
Just one example
I´m happy for you if you enjoy this "game". I don´t because of all of this issues.

But hey, the next update maybe nerf those Battanian Champions?!

Was not meant to pour all my salt on you, sorry if it seems that way. It was more a general thought after reading 10+ similar comments in different threads.

Yeah, I know. The perks are borked and it's a pain in the ass. However, I think it was Callum or Mexxxico that said in one of the threads they are completely re-working the perk system - so maybe that's the reason they were not fixed yet? IDK, let's wait and see.

Balancing the archers in general would be good - but I'd rather wait with the balancing until all the features are in.
For now, I use the armour/combat balance mods and it is playable. Check out those two combined - it really changes things a bit.

Yeah, right, because the mod community is perfect and will be able to release a balanced, bug free and absolutely better game in 3 months /s

I am pretty sure they can if they have the tools. Those guys do their stuff because of passion. And they do more than TW does right now. They did it with Warband too. Or does anyone played VANILLA Warband without mods after like 50 hours?

Also I´m not talking about a perfect game. But about a game with features that really work. I can name like 10 mods which just fixes bugs. Those bugs haven´t been fixed now from TW.

Modders = private, not paid, do it for a passion
TW = a paid company

But whatever, see you when the next "update" releases...Fixed stats or so

Last edited:
Give the source code and the tools to the mod community and we have a finished product after 3 months and no updates like "changed some minor numbers for this and that stuff".

You know that complex mods were not created in couple of days but they were build for months and fixed/balanced for several months after releasing?
I completely agree that modders community for M&B titles is awesome and there are a lot of talented people with great ideas but they also need time to build something incredible. Most of current mods are just a tweaks of numbers and fixes for small part of the code but they also have their problems and not always fit in with other mechanics. You could say that devs should just take what moders did and implement it but they need to cosnider if it will fit with features and changes they are working on so it can be harder to include and adjust someone elses changes than build yours from scratch.

Most of current mods are just a tweaks of numbers and fixes for small part of the code but they also have their problems

Sure and true, because they don´t have the source and tools, still a mod does more than an update from the devs.

Example 765: TW gave soldiers a one headed weapon but the unit like 220 two handed skill. Mods fixed it a fews day after the release, TW didn´t.

But doesn´t matter because unit stats still have like zero impact. Only the athletics skill matters.

Give a recruit the same equipment as T5-T6 units, there is like no difference. But hey, you can see that you have 70 T5 units...

Last edited:
I re-started another Battanian campaign (1.4.0) to test another time if heroes were at the the place the encyclopedia tells they are. They are definitely not there.

Hi all,

Whats the feedback of the 1.4 update i am thinking about checking it does it have any gamebreaking stuff or major issue such us snowballing is back etc?

Regards

i have read somewhere that there is an issue with the castles due to the castellan upgrade and it cause +70,80 milita per day and the castle have 6-900 garrison? Is it true or it just a very very rare bug?

Back
Top Bottom