Weird battlefield AI behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Maximum997

Squire
Every battle i see this stupid AI orders when armies just walking forward and backward nonstop. AI moves his troops back from achers and allow them to shoot everyone in the backs.

It is like:
CHAAAAAAAA.. Ahahah just kidding, go back.
CHAAAAA.. Ahaha gotcha.
CHAAA... No no no go back!
CHAAAARGE!!!
NO NO NO GO BACK!!

It is really annoying to play with and looks very dumb. Battles are not a battles with frontline and backline, it is not even a melee grind like in movies it is just some weird chaotic mess of crazy mind.

And AI loves to create some stupid blobs and let you shoot them for free

But the worst part about AI - is this neverending going back.

You can hear a sound - it is me chasing AI infantry for 10 minutes. Then i got javeline to the face and pressed alt f4.

Can we have "not smart AI" option that will just charge or hold the ground?

Last edited:
Its called psyching the opponent technique and are an very ancient one :wink: But yeah i call it the Benny Hill formation and can sometimes really help against enemy archers and cav but sometimes not at all

That's because some of those units have javelins and AI tries to "skirmish" with them. Happens when you order advance (F1-F4). Might be the case with F6 as well but I did not see it yet.

Telling them to cease fire should prevent this.

Or you can tell your guys to charge (F1-F3) when in melee range. You may want to tell them to cease fire too, so that they will all engage, otherwise guys with javelins will stay back, but will not be able to throw their javelins due to friendly units blocking their line of fire resulting in your infantry engaging piecemeal.

That's because some of those units have javelins and AI tries to "skirmish" with them. Happens when you order advance (F1-F4). Might be the case with F6 as well but I did not see it yet.

Or you can tell your guys to charge (F1-F3) when in melee range. You may want to tell them to cease fire too, so that they will all engage, otherwise guys with javelins will stay back, but will not be able to throw their javelins due to friendly units blocking their line of fire resulting in your infantry engaging piecemeal.

yeah youre right in this...i didnt see the video damn it ^^ just assumed it was the good old starting position

yeah youre right in a way but they do this when enemies is on the other side of the map to without getting interfered. If they wanted to skirmish they would have moved up first

Newer saw this behavior with enemy out of range. Are you sure enemy AI did not send few cavalry to skirmish with you? AI tends to do it at the start of the battle.

one sec let me send you an old video and i corrected since i didnt saw the video from after you posted and as i said assumed it was this type of behaviour which they can do at the start of the battle...

This is truly annoying. Perhaps the devs should put the dedicated skirmishers in a separate default group and let heavy infantry that happens to have some throwing axes or javs behave like heavy infantry as long as their default group is infantry.

Main problem with this - it is not my army. So i cant command them. And playing around allies in battles like that is frkn nightmare.
They can run away and left your infantry alone or expose your acrhers.

Last edited:
one sec let me send you an old video and i corrected since i didnt saw the video from after you posted and as i said assumed it was this type of behaviour which they can do at the start of the battle...

That's really weird indeed. But I did not see it myself so far.

This is truly annoying. Perhaps the devs should put the dedicated skirmishers in a separate default group and let heavy infantry that happens to have some throwing axes or javs behave like heavy infantry as long as their default group is infantry.

AI does not distinguish units according to group they are assigned to. It decides what group is what based on units you put in to it. When it sees that you have put units with ranged weapons in to group, it will try to skirmish with it if you use certain commands. Not sure how it's done exactly, if there is decision based on the % or something else, but you can easily test that by assigning your cavalry to group one (infantry by default) and infantry to third group (cavalry by default). When you order them, AI voiceover will call cavalry cavalry and infantry infantry, no matter in what group they are in. Just don't attach any companions there as game will call any group they are in as "infantry", even if your companions are on horses.

Last edited:
That's really weird indeed. But I did not see it myself so far.

Think they fall in to a trance or something sometimes idk ^^ Think its mostly when you have your first line without shields surrounding archers in a defensive position they tend to do this little dance

You can hear a sound - it is me chasing AI infantry for 10 minutes. Then i got javeline to the face and pressed alt f4.

yeah sometimes it can be annoying when they retreating so far back leaving you behind. But sometimes its also really tactically good since they utilize their archers and your reinforcements when enemy AI overextend...But yeah they have to do an rework or fix with AI command in battle even if AI have saved me from really tricky situations at times ^^

But yeah they have to do an rework or fix with AI command in battle even if AI have saved me from really tricky situations at times ^^
I really prefer Warband AI. Or even VC AI who has an option "AI always atacks".

Becouse in WB AI is dumb
In BL AI is more dumb and annoying.

I really prefer Warband AI. Or even VC AI who has an option "AI always atacks".

Becouse in WB AI is dumb
In BL AI is more dumb and annoying.

they arent always dumb...ive seen em pulling off some real cool **** during my days. One AI peasant went all commando once and even killed an T6 soldier in CQC combat dancing around him like an butterfly and stung him like a bee with his pitchfork ^^

And here they saved my ass big time even avoided enemy horse archers real good

Maybe they hired the guy that made the battle AI for Rome Total War 1. The enemy army would run around like idiots, unwilling to commit to an attack. I would wait until their troops were exhausted before I let my legions tear into them.

Only some armies act this way in Bannerlord. This suggests that different lords might be employing different tactics. It's possible that some of those tactics are bugged and that's the reason for all the extra faffing about.

I think a lot of the time when they do this it's because by default they will try to turn to face the enemy. Seems like all it takes is a handful of cavalry to get them confused about which way to face and they start spinning around in circles.

I notice it a lot when attacking enemy archers from horseback. If they just stood there and shot their bows they could kill you but sometimes they are too busy turning the whole line formation to actually attack.

Back
Top Bottom