Roads on the map?

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't know if this is planned, but for the overworld when you are traveling around, it would be could to see how cities, villages, and castles are connected by stone empire roads, dirt roads, etc. etc. I feel it would be a nice edition to the game and perhaps it could have an effect on speed. Perhaps even have villagers, and caravans strictly follow roads, along with bandits praying on them, and have town/castle garrisons patrolling those roads.

Funnily enough, I've been wondering the same thing the last few days. Once you notice that there are no roads, you miss them.

If they implement roads, it should increase speed depending on the type of road. I don't want one type of road, I'd rather have multiple roads matching the faction and the roads can be upgraded. Empire would obviously have the best roads and Battanians would have like dirt roads (unless there are still empire roads from the remnants of the empire)

If they implement roads, it should increase speed depending on the type of road. I don't want one type of road, I'd rather have multiple roads matching the faction and the roads can be upgraded. Empire would obviously have the best roads and Battanians would have like dirt roads (unless there are still empire roads from the remnants of the empire)
I wouldn't overdo it. Roads would do.

Roads would be another step to making a great looking campaign map look even better. I hope TW will add them at some point, maybe in the Empire they are paved like the Roman highways and dirt in the kingdoms. Maybe they could also add a small boost to speed if you stick to the roads as well.

roads would be a great addition

but what i really hope they will add is some good pathfinding for the parties on the map, as of now parties usually take the "line of sight" direction to reach theirs destination and then needs to change it because of natural obstacles, or get slowed by terrain malus even if there's a clear path with good terrain to reach the same destination, both behaviours are annoying and make parties travel for more time than needed (so more risk to be attacked)

Last edited:
Useless suggestion. It'll take the campaign map to be remade and lots of coding. Then bugfixes. For what? For something would make such a small impact on entertainment. If they were going to add them, It'ld already be here.

Useless suggestion.
That's a subjective and aggressive stand on this.

It'll take the campaign map to be remade and lots of coding. Then bugfixes.
Are you a software developer? or are you guessing?
1: campaign map remade? I'll call doodling the map a minor modification (graphics wise).
2: Needs a Bitmap Reader - to load in the paths that can be used. I think they already have this implemented with how the world map pathfinding works. The difference in speed, implemented: snow, mountain, and other terrain modifiers already work. Though a little code needed to implement the new modifier (on-road) in the pathfinding system.
So not really a lot of coding needed.

For what? For something would make such a small impact on entertainment.
I actually consider that a primary ingredient in success, attention to detail.

If they were going to add them, It'ld already be here.
Maybe, but as far as I know, no roadmap, or other indicators, for what is planed.

This was in warband already. No idea why they didnt add it here
There are no roads in warband? But yeah roads would be cool visually and maybe improve speed for larger armies by a little.

A stone road for Imperial/Vlandia culture,dirt roads for Battania and possibly Sturgia even though it might not be visible because of the snow ?
No roads for Aserai ( desert location ) and Khuzait but instead a faction movement speed bonus on their respective territory to help them defending their cities

roads would be a great addition

but what i really hope they will add is some good pathfinding for the parties on the map, as of now parties usually take the "line of sight" direction to reach theirs destination and then needs to change it because of natural obstacles, or get slowed by terrain malus even if there's a clear path with good terrain to reach the same destination, both behaviours are annoying and make parties travel for more time than needed (so more risk to be attacked)
This is a major change from the M&B and Warband map, where the "roads" would override pathfinding for any distance greater than about 3-4 seconds' travel on the world map. No matter that the road was in the wrong direction, your party would go 120 or 150 degrees out of its way to reach the nearest road ("We MUST follow the road"), and THEN calculate a path to the destination, which was now further away than when you first clicked. The roads offered no actual speed bonus, and worse, usually led directly through woods or other difficult terrain, making following the roads generally SLOWER than traveling overland. In a number of cases, my party reversed course completely to go BACK to a road that was 180 degrees out of their way. In at least 2 cases, that took them straight back into a pursuing army. I learned that you MUST click close to your party, repeatedly, to avoid them trying to find a road. This has been the cause of a significant increase in tedium for me. Why should you be able to click just once when the game can make you click 20-30 times to accomplish the same thing a lot faster, right? The real annoyance was that 99% of the "roads" were invisible, but affected path-finding anywhere in their vicinity.

Roads are a good idea in theory, but:
A - they should provide a slight speed bonus.
B - they should be plainly visible.
C - they should ONLY run between major towns and castles, from those directly to their attached villages, or to other points of significant interest.
D - your party should never deviate more than 45 degrees out of its way to reach a road (otherwise the road would likely make the trip take longer).
E - roads should either negate some terrain penalties, and possibly reduce night movement penalties as well, or else be routed mainly through clear terrain. Nobody is going to build a road that takes LONGER to use than traveling directly cross-country, and I can't picture any player wanting that either.

There are no roads in warband? But yeah roads would be cool visually and maybe improve speed for larger armies by a little.

A stone road for Imperial/Vlandia culture,dirt roads for Battania and possibly Sturgia even though it might not be visible because of the snow ?
No roads for Aserai ( desert location ) and Khuzait but instead a faction movement speed bonus on their respective territory to help them defending their cities
There are no roads in warband? There are multiple roads leading to Dhirim from the top of my head

Back
Top Bottom