Bannerlord is fine, we just have to adapt to it

Users who are viewing this thread

look TW probably running through some of their personally issue about in-company developing problem that we are not knowing about .... or they can be blowing off 1 million - 2 million sold copies and enjoying life .... But the way i see it, Taleworlds develop a game for over 8 years! and that dedication. Even though they were a small team. They created something that no other DEV has ever before .... (rumors GTA MEDIEVAL TBA) and we all enjoy it. Its hard to create a SP and MP game to please all fans ... I think they should keep it realistic as possible to their fictional world and waste their money on hiring more people to help with development. Maybe their reworking the system and we dont know it ... alll im saying is be patience .... even tho no update made, got me stop playing SP (due to many crashes with my mods) ... hahaha

Actually, I would be fine with even less content in an EA game. I was in several of them, last was Grim Dawn. Believe me, in the first release, there was very little content. That was OK.

No, what bothers me with Bannerlord is that the core mechanics have all been changed and that they're all over the place. I'm fine with a quite empty game and some sketchy roadmap to were it's going.
But you need strong, coherent basics and a global focus. This is not what Bannerlord looks like at this moment. It looks like something designed by a committee with no clear direction. And the lack of communication by the devs, their recent patches, don't really help instill confidence.
I'd like this game to be better than original M&B or VC, which I both played for thousands of hours. But right now, I'm worried that it will not be.

And this is a viable concern unless proven otherwise. A lot of people are bored to tears with this game even with 15 or 20 nexus mods running. There's nothing TO DO.

And this is a viable concern unless proven otherwise. A lot of people are bored to tears with this game even with 15 or 20 nexus mods running. There's nothing TO DO.

Yeah, thats really the problem. The base mechanics pretty much only cover... combat. Trade is bare bones, diplomacy does not exist, intrigue does not exist. The only meaningful thing a player can do is form a party, fight looters, level his clan, become a vassal, conquer a town, hire more troops, conquer the whole map. Done. Oh yes, you can make weapons (if you have time to sink hours into improving your smithing skill).

Yes, TW is an indie dev studio. But at the point when you foster the hype for a game for years, promise that the features will surpass what we already know of M&B and then host an EA on the largest gaming platform and slap a AAA price tag on it... sorry to say, but welcome to the world of grown up studios. This is how the big boys play, so these are the standards to be held accountable against.

look TW probably running through some of their personally issue about in-company developing problem that we are not knowing about ....
That's what I'm worried about. When you have a very small team and just one person in overall charge, it's much more easy to keep a clear picture and coherent vision. It's not the same when you've got multiple teams working on parts. It's fairly easy to get divergent paths and ideas and get bogged down in coordination. (Or rather, the lack of)

Quite right. A clear vision and a good team leadership are much more crucial to success. That's my worry ATM.
Personally I don't worry about Taleworlds. Our job is to criticise their decisions, not their capabilities.
If I wouldn't believe in their talent, I wouldn't be here.
It's also quite pointless to complain about leadership, it's not like Armagan is going to fire himself... :wink:

I think that they seem a bit chaotic, not very efficient and unstructured. If you ask an artist that's what you need for creativity. If you ask a manager it's how you waste money. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Even the base combat mechanics are clunky. WB and its mods felt more satisfying than this. Skill progression is a mess, Weapon Damage / Armor is unbalanced, prices are absurd.
And being Indie isn't an excuse. Crate, which made Grim Dawn, just has 13 people... And they made a pretty good game. Paradox Interactive has 80 employees and made a lot of good strategy games : EU, CK2 etc...

I think that they seem a bit chaotic, not very efficient and unstructured. If you ask an artist that's what you need for creativity. If you ask a manager it's how you waste money. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
It is. But it also depends on company size. Chaotic and unstructured will work fine with a very small team, it can wreak havoc when you grow bigger.
I do worry about their capabilities, because I worry about where the game is going.

It is. But it also depends on company size. Chaotic and unstructured will work fine with a very small team, it can wreak havoc when you grow bigger.
I do worry about their capabilities, because I worry about where the game is going.
True, structure becomes more important with bigger teams.

It's called the "rosy pink memories" effect.

Everything that happened in the past, just seems better, even if by all standards is inferior to the reality as of current.

I can go play Viking conquest right now, and it's better. It's not in the past.

(ps) exact frickin' type of people that give honest modders a bad name, every time a fanboi pops up in the forums and starts shi**ng on the game with "oh even this mod I played was better" crap.
Thank you oh noble one! Without you generalising modders as bad evil people, the world would truly be chaos.

On a serious note though, who in their right mind even thinks modders have a bad name to them to begin with lol? You are just making stuff up to uphold Native.

Similarily how you say he didnt have to buy the game, modders who do this FOR FREE shouldnt be subject to ANY scrutiny.

Small indie studios are usually very good at communicating with their customers.

I want to know what the first substantial update that develops core features is going to focus on, and roughly when to expect it.

Literally just one month after Game release... TW have been improving the game a lot since release and while I do agree with 1.3.0 has introduced many problems, the game is in a much better state than before.

Not sure if you play Total War Games but despite of being a bigger company, Total War guys were not that fast at fixing issues for Rome II Total War when the release was a mess.

I am also a bit frustrated for new content lacking but It is totally normal to get bug fixes and tweaks for core features the first couple of days. I am pretty sure that we will have access to new features soon or at least I hope so.

Because it worked off an already finished game that was MB1 and WB expansion. If you want to make that comparison, try comparing it to some future Bannerlord expansion DLC that comes out -- would be the fair point here.

Like mentioned just above, you guys are basically saying the same thing as

"Oh VC is more fun than MB1 in 2006."

Were you there back in 2006?
MB1 in 2010 is more fun than MB2 in 2020

Not sure if you play Total War Games but despite of being a bigger company, Total War guys were not that fast at fixing issues for Rome II Total War when the release was a mess.

Yes, Rome II was a mess. But this was their worst release. And did not lack content.
Also keep in mind the series better releases (Shogun 2, Attila, Warhammer, Warhammer 2) and the fact that especially for the Warhammer titles CA has a policy of releasing fresh content now and then and even teasers their FLC on a roadmap.
They have learned a lot in the past when it comes to communicating with the players and supporting the base game with new features.
(granted, their DLC policy is quite aggressive)

I am also a bit frustrated for new content lacking but It is totally normal to get bug fixes and tweaks for core features the first couple of days. I am pretty sure that we will have access to new features soon or at least I hope so.

+1
Bug fixes are completely okay. However the combination of deep balance tweaks with a complete lack of communication and a roadmap leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
I basically only know that they are working on diplomacy (which has been fixed by mods by the way, so I hope they actually top that off).

One thing I would like to add is that even if Bannerlord appears barebones as a game in its current from, it is very good as an engine, well written with extensibility and moddibility as its aim. The amount of mods already realeased without even modding tools available only proves this. This one thing alone means that given time, it will shine with many mods just like Warband did, no matter in what state the vanilla game ends up being.

About OP...I never played WB in my life, so I jumped into hype train with BL and I was wrong and it's on me. I am playing strategy games for last 10 years, almost exclusively, and when you look steam page tags, this game is: medieval - STRATEGY - open world - RPG... IN last 10 years i have never seen game with self-preserving AI respawning armies after defeat, respawning food when city is starving, and many others questionable core game mechanics. For me personally this is unacceptable, and i don't like it, it's unnatural and it's bad for game. So until devs fix this I will never be able to adapt knowing all this "AI cheats" in game, it's more like survival game than strategy game because they want to make it challenging?!
With 90% approval on steam, many will say who cares what I think, but I still think core game mechanics economy and war are broken.

LOL. I'm in the same boat. Never played WB and I'm flabbergasted to see how this game works. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to spawn armies right after their defeat to make the game more challenging I can't even fathom. It is so discouraging for the player.
The only redeemable quality of the game is battles right now and even that feels totally meaningless with this system in place.
When I captured a king for the first time I thought I accomplished a big feat. Boy was i wrong. The game world doesn't react to your actions at all and there is no system in place to recognize player actions in a SINGLE PLAYER GAME.
Said king escaped captivity like the Michael Scofield he is and came back with another army in no time. I mean what is the point of the battles? And what is the difference between SP Campaign and Custom Battles at this point?

Bannerlord is currently not fine. It can and will probably get better, maybe not to the extent that we all want, but improvements will come.

However I do have some concern about the direction of the game and the fact that some clear improvements to the game formula from mods and DLCs were seemingly lost to TW. 1.3.0 did alleviate some of that, but there are still a lot to be done. Hopefully, the lack of small patch means that they are working on something substantial.

Back
Top Bottom