Admin abuse in east asia server

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL;dr: Chinese admins abusing their rights in east asia server by enforcing censorship.

Currently, east asia server is administrated by a Chinese forum for some reasons. Yet, those Chinese admins are now asking Chinese players to report any anti-PRC ID/avatar/chat message.

A dozens of players are getting banned permently banned for using Winnie-the pooh avatar or simply saying stuff that Chinese government don't like ( such as corona virus originated in China or even taiwan no1)

Those Chinese admins are abusing their power and enforcing chinese censorship to all players in the server.
This must not be tolerated by devs. Either withdraw their admin power or start a new server for other east asia countries.

Edit: Please refer to announcement #49 for translated version of the notice posted by Chinese admins.

Last edited:
Servers in the other regions dont even have admins. Takeworlds must have specifically given certain chinese people admin on these servers as a means of censorship. Taleworlds needs to explain themselves. @Callum

Its called having a market in china. No surprise here and nothing to explain honestly. This is a pretty big norm in China
The real issue is forcing the rhetoric on non chinese people because there is a lack of viable alternatives. Should Korean/Japanese/SE Asian people just adopt Chinese doctrine? You cannot possibly accept this as just the way it is. China does not equal Asia.

This is terrible. Imagine getting permabanned in EU servers for having a political meme avatar...hell, even insulting Turkey doesn't get you banned. Racism shouldn't have a place in the game but I don't believe these permabanned players had to do/say racist stuff to get banned at all, and apparently only insulting China will get you banned. Honestly, if they're so worrisome of protecting their country's "dignity", Taleworlds should just disable chat, disable avatars and randomize usernames for Chinese players only. Sometimes malicious compliance works best.

Sadly i don't think TW will do anything about this. Pretty sure censorship is going to be a thing no matter who is managing the chinese sales.

A lot of non chinese players are playing in asia server: Taiwanese,korean ,thai...
Also they are permanently banning players who "damaged Chinese unity" wiithout warnings.

A lot of non chinese players are playing in asia server: Taiwanese,korean ,thai...
Also they are permanently banning player wiithout warnings because of their political agenda.

This has nothing to do with Netease. Currently east asia server is located in Singapore (I believe) but a Chinese fourm is administrating it somehow.

This is terrible. Imagine getting permabanned in EU servers for having a political meme avatar...hell, even insulting Turkey doesn't get you banned. Racism shouldn't have a place in the game but I don't believe these permabanned players had to do/say racist stuff to get banned at all, and apparently only insulting China will get you banned. Honestly, if they're so worrisome of protecting their country's "dignity", Taleworlds should just disable chat, disable avatars and randomize usernames for Chinese players only. Sometimes malicious compliance works best.
If you can advocate any form of arbitrary censorship for things that are distasteful (e.g racism), then you've opened the door to this. Different countries/cultures have different subjective attitudes to what is/isn't acceptable. I've spent the last 4 years on this forum arguing heavily against banning people for use of chat, use of avatar, even in the case of racism, specifically for this reason. Now the East Asian server is reaping the whirlwind. More people should've stood up for free expression. Now TaleWorlds' acting against these administrators would be completely hypocritical.

If you can advocate any form of arbitrary censorship for things that are distasteful (e.g racism), then you've opened the door to this. Different countries/cultures have different subjective attitudes to what is/isn't acceptable. I've spent the last 4 years on this forum arguing heavily against banning people for use of chat, use of avatar, even in the case of racism, specifically for this reason. Now the East Asian server is reaping the whirlwind. More people should've stood up for free expression. Now TaleWorlds' acting against these administrators would be completely hypocritical.

You are either completely ignoring or completely missing the point. The servers are not even chinese. Chinese admins are administering non chinese servers with Chinese dictatorship policies. You would have to be a complete idiot to think that is somehow connected to the censorship of racism online.

You are either completely ignoring or completely missing the point. The servers are not even chinese. Chinese admins are administering non chinese servers with Chinese dictatorship policies. You would have to be a complete idiot to think that is somehow connected to the censorship of racism online.
No, you're the one intentionally missing the point. Censorship is censorship. It doesn't matter if the servers are chinese or not. You talk about "dictatorship policies", as though that means anything. I find any kind of censorship disgusting, personally, and this is no different. The difference is that at least I have some kind of intellectual consistancy and realize that the chinese admins censoring things based on subjective preference is no different than anyone else censoring anything else(in a game chat) based on any other subjective preference. There is 0 difference, except the fact that you happen to support one and oppose the other.

No, you're the one intentionally missing the point. Censorship is censorship. It doesn't matter if the servers are chinese or not. You talk about "dictatorship policies", as though that means anything. I find any kind of censorship disgusting, personally, and this is no different. The difference is that at least I have some kind of intellectual consistancy and realize that the chinese admins censoring things based on subjective preference is no different than anyone else censoring anything else(in a game chat) based on any other subjective preference. There is 0 difference, except the fact that you happen to support one and oppose the other.

Surely you have the intellectual capacity to recognize the difference between a 14 year old running around screaming the N word and a Korean man getting banned off a non chinese server for having a winnie the pooh avatar.

Surely you have the intellectual capacity to recognize the difference between a 14 year old running around screaming the N word and a Korean man getting banned off a non chinese server for having a winnie the pooh avatar.
No. There is no difference, they're both based on subjective preferences. Who am I to say if Winnie the Pooh is offensive to some chinese people or not, in the same way that racism is offensive to some, e.g, western people? When you start creating arbitrary rules centered on expression, as is the case in both cases, it actively enables the other. There is no functional difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom