PSA Taleworlds are hosting a community event with the mount & blade subreddit

Users who are viewing this thread

Surely Callum isn't the only TaleWorlds staff that comes on here. I mean I wouldn't be surprised since TaleWorlds isn't a huge company but it is still concerning how TaleWorlds don't communicate with us for long periods of time and then there's literally an event and we weren't notified. It's also concerning how they're doing events while the game has so many problems.

Surely Callum isn't the only TaleWorlds staff that comes on here. I mean I wouldn't be surprised since TaleWorlds isn't a huge company but it is still concerning how TaleWorlds don't communicate with us for long periods of time and then there's literally an event and we weren't notified. It's also concerning how they're doing events while the game has so many problems.
TaleWorlds having little to no transparency is a long known issue.
And again, this an event TW are supplying a server to, they are NOT the ones organizing it...

I'm not TW obviously so I can't know their reasoning but I am one of the moderators/event organizers for the /r/mountandblade so I'll give my two cents.

To start off, due to the nature of reddit's system the singleplayer-only community on the sub is able to drown out the MP posts and community pretty easily, and while small, they do exist. As a result most of our multiplayer stuff happens on our discord, where we organize and run the multiplayer events for the sub. These are: Mod Night, an "off season" even where we would give players a chance to play the multiplayer for mods that are otherwise dead in MP/popular with the community, Casual Night which was an excuse to play native battle and siege, and the Calradic Campaign.

The Calradic Campaign is by far our oldest and most significant event, it celebrated its four year anniversary and final event in Warband in March. If you've heard of it before you'll know it's casual, but it fills a niche that to our knowledge isn't really represented in any other kind of event. If you want to see more what it's like here's a video by a youtuber that attended one of our best:

Most of our multiplayer community isn't competitive and likely never will be, but they aren't the same as the drooling SP-only people whining about "animation abuse" that I imagine most of you are picturing. The core players at our events see the same issues with Bannerlord's combat and MP setup that everybody else does. Notably, we have been quite frustrated with the class system and lack of battle mode, as it could require fairly extensive workarounds on our part to make our style of events function in Bannerlord.

As for Taleworld's reasoning in choosing us "first" for a custom host event, I think it comes down to the current functionality of the game. We have a history of hosting casual events with non-standard gamemodes in addition to the Calradic Campaign, meaning we don't necessarily need complicated server tools, specific modes, secondary balancing etc. For a competitive event, they would need at a bare minimum server tools capable of switching the factions for skirmish - in addition they would need to be available as many times as it took a full tournament to run its course. To host a *good* tournament, they'd need yet more server tools, time, etc.

To summarize, I believe they chose us not because we're uncritical of their game (we aren't, and Taleworlds knows this), but because we're easier to host a decent event for with the resources they currently have available. All they need is the gamemodes they currently have available, a server slot, and someone able to run the server for an hour or two at the specified time. As we routinely filled a 200-slot server in Warband I'm hoping the event, which will be using TDM where we would normally use battle, will help Taleworlds see the value of including classic gamemodes and more in-depth server tools for all of our sake.

Thanks and hope I was able to clear some things up, if you've got questions feel free

Sorry for my very late reply. I agree that it is likely the current functionality of the game that caused reddit to be picked first for the first bannerlord event. Thanks for the insight on the discord though, that is interesting to know. I hope you guys have a good event.

I think one of the other reasons that reddit was picked over the TW forum (and not announced here) is due to the fragmented and highly competitive nature of this multiplayer forum. You can see here daily, annoying or not, how often people are asking for private servers or any information about the state of MP and what TW thinks. I think they would be worried about the complaining on here if they, for example, host an event for one region of one clan, or two clans, and the outrage here would be justifiably even higher than it already is. You only need to peep the Duel thread on here to get an idea of what I am talking about. By letting reddit users host an event, they can circumvent this issue and get an idea of how things would go for the foreseeable future (if they decide to host events for clans despite possible backlash).

I think it is a bit frustrating but understandable as to why there's radio silence about the first community event and I hope you guys all have a really good time, and will be lurking reddit to see how it goes.

It went terribly, first off the servers would not load for 20 minutes, and then after that for 30 more minutes we just played tdm. After that we played siege 3-4 times with all of the times resulting in crashes except for 1 insanely fast game. Taleworlds ended the event Before the event should’ve ended because we couldn’t play with the crashes

It went terribly, first off the servers would not load for 20 minutes, and then after that for 30 more minutes we just played tdm. After that we played siege 3-4 times with all of the times resulting in crashes except for 1 insanely fast game. Taleworlds ended the event Before the event should’ve ended because we couldn’t play with the crashes
This.
And not to mention the first server filled even before the password was released. Really, the next event should be more organized and with way less nepotism.

This.
And not to mention the first server filled even before the password was released. Really, the next event should be more organized and with way less nepotism.
This. The server showed up & started filling up about 15 minutes late. At 20 minutes after the time, they gave out the password - shame the server was already full then...very nice "community" event.

lol awe man....

This. The server showed up & started filling up about 15 minutes late. At 20 minutes after the time, they gave out the password - shame the server was already full then...very nice "community" event.

Wait, I heard this also. So the people running the event just gave the password to their friends and what not before everyone else and by then the server was full.

What an event....

Last edited:
lol awe man....

Wait, I heard this also. So the people running the event just gave the password to their friends and what not before everyone else and by then the server was full.

What an event....
The first comment was unfortunately true. The servers weren't the best, unfortunately performing about as well as you'd expect, especially on the siege. This was not something that was within the event organizer's control.

As for the second message, that is an incredibly disingenuous way of framing it. TW asked the event planners to join the server before the password was revealed to see if it was stable and joinable before starting. The team that plans and tests events is about 30ish people, so they were given the pass first. It was not a matter of inviting "friends", that's coming from people who were salty they didn't get in.

The password was given at 20 minutes after the event because that's when TW put the server up. Again, not a conspiracy against anyone or an attempt to get only a certain group of people on - something entirely out of our control. The password was given out in voice first before being announced because there were over 300 people in the channel for an 100 person event. We decided to reward those who had been waiting first. Unless you believe that all 300+ people in there were our friends, there was no bias shown in that method of providing the password.

Also, the server would restart manually after every round, meaning everyone would have to rejoin with full knowledge of the password. How could we even enforce exclusivity to certain people if we wanted to?

It's unfortunate that not everyone was able to get in, but it was inevitable with such a low total player cap. On an optimistic note, this will hopefully show TW that the demand for private servers is high, and to allocate more resources into A.) creating new big team modes and B.) raising the total player cap so that bigger battles can occur.

The event was far from the most desirable it could have been, but trying to paint it as a private, friends only event is not only dishonest but damaging to the community.

Last edited:
The guy said he heard that, and he drew tue conclusion from countless of comments, he was not claiming that himself.

Stick to Reddit mate, thats obviously where the party is.
Forums seems to be just for milking free QA and bugreports. Forgotten

Yuuppp just saying what I heard on the forums/reddit. Regardless though the whole thing seemed a little embarrassing for the current state of multiplayer.
I wasn't attributing that claim to you, I was just responding to the comment that you cited when you talked about what you heard. Apologies if it came off as me coming after you, bad at forum formatting.

As for the second message, that is an incredibly disingenuous way of framing it. TW asked the event planners to join the server before the password was revealed to see if it was stable and joinable before starting. The team that plans and tests events is about 30ish people, so they were given the pass first. It was not a matter of inviting "friends", that's coming from people who were salty they didn't get in.

The password was given at 20 minutes after the event because that's when TW put the server up. Again, not a conspiracy against anyone or an attempt to get only a certain group of people on - something entirely out of our control. The password was given out in voice first before being announced because there were over 300 people in the channel for an 100 person event. We decided to reward those who had been waiting first. Unless you believe that all 300+ people in there were our friends, there was no bias shown in that method of providing the password.
Next time, it would be a nice thing to precise where the password is going to be released. That was not the case. Voice chat was never announced as the way password was going to be released.
People were also waiting without being in the voice chat.

Caps, there was nothing to record. First a TDM with password on a laggy server, then siege on a laggy server which crashed.

Back
Top Bottom