SP - General Marriageable Freedom, Romancing, Courtship, and Family: a complete love-life and progeny overhaul suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

I find it hard to vote because some of the options are combo option or too broad.

I don't technically mind removing age restrictions, as long as fertility and health problems are modeled (meaning, the older your spuse is, the harder it is to get children and the greater chances there are for health issues (penalites) for children).

Ability to marry commoners, merchants, companiosn and everyone else - yes!
Different renown/dowry and pros and cons for spuse choice - yes
Shady activities - ehh... not my thing, but I can see the roleplay/immersion value in cucking some lord you hate.

Homosexuality - I gess. Mods should be able to do with easily just by tweaking some checks.

Dynamic courtship - yes. Would be cool if you could gift items that the person would actually use/wear. Like a fancy new dress.

I have reported the entire argument above. Please keep discussion constructive and civil as both I and the moderators have asked in the past.
Before I get banned let me just appoligise to you as it is your thread and the argument went for way longer than it should have and you and your ideas definitely didn`t deserve to suffer from it.

I have reported the entire argument above. Please keep discussion constructive and civil as both I and the moderators have asked in the past.

I already asked for my posts pertaining to that discussion to be removed due to being off topic. Back to the original topic:

I like all the ideas. Though this was the only one I didn't vote for, I actually wouldn't mind it.

Asking purely out of curiosity, and sorry if this has been asked already, but would you make it to where the player could try for a specific gender or do you feel that would be too much control?

I like all the ideas. Though this was the only one I didn't vote for, I actually wouldn't mind it.

Asking purely out of curiosity, and sorry if this has been asked already, but would you make it to where the player could try for a specific gender or do you feel that would be too much control?
I feel that would be too much control, personally. You have a choice in who your partner is but not in the sex of your biological children (unless there was the option to off your children when they are born, but I am not adding that in...). If you want to control the sex of your children, you could always take advantage of the adoption suggestions and adopt a boy or girl to your liking.

I rather had a immortal just like Warband and Mount and Blade.
A lot of people have suggested the option to turn off death by age, and I am certainly not opposed to that suggestion if people want to be an immortal. I do like the idea of inheritance and posterity that is supposed to be a major mechanic in Bannerlord eventually, if the past development diaries correctly described their goals on that matter. This is why my suggestions here are mainly to improve upon that feature.

I really like most of your ideas.

Removal of upper age restrictions for marriage and the ability to arrange marriages
I voted in favor of this one, but only for the ability to arrange marriages for your children, and I think it could also be cool to extend the idea of deciding who you marry to the people of your clan/faction. Would be cool to become some kind of politician who just pulls the strings to get everyone under their banner with little armed effort. The age restriction, not sure that would be really useful to make it as complex as you decribe it, with age difference that would make it harder to marry but would still be possible. Also, in the medieval setting, you marry for heirs, and yes, it's possible for men to have some after, but for women, it's more complicated. But, you want to marry people while they are still fresh and fertile (this sounds like takling about cattle, but I think that was what grooms were at the time), so to me, the upper age limitation makes sense.

For the homosexual marriage, I am quite neutral about the subject. I don't think marriage makes sense, at least with nobility, again because of the game medieval setting, marriage is for heirs, doesn't make sense to marry someone you cannot have heirs with. But then if coupled with an adoption option, why not. And by the way, adoption would make a lot of sense since the king of the Batannians was himself adopted by the previous king if I am not mistaken. Then, for the romance, it could be interesting, I'm just giving away wild thoughts, but depending how complex the social/political aspect of the game becomes, homosexuality could be used in politics, with for example, some factions not tolerating it, and you could threaten to expose one gay noble to their family if they don't vote for you for the next city/castle the faction will conquer.
And I know, I said changing age restriction might be too complex to then suggest this , which is way worse ^^

I've read this again, as I was seeing a commotion happen in the comments, and felt REALLY happy for being mentioned inside "Class does not matter" :giggle: I can tell my mother I became a "reference" XD

As I was reading, I thought to suggest that you could make either a 6th category or add a new entry inside "Dynamic Courtship" called "Love is in the air".

Essentially, this is only to mean that the player would not be the only person in the world allowed to find love.
NPCs should marry after a certain time in game goes by.
Ladies you are courting should also have other suitors that want her, which possibly could even be reason for duels to happen.

When walking inside a city, you should occasionally see couples walking while holding hands, or sometimes, most commonly at night, see a couple kissing with their backs onto a wall or hiding down a corner or on an alley. Inside taverns, that could also happen from time to time.
%chance for that should be somewhat low, but still also pretty common, like 15% chance for at least one couple to spawn somewhere on the map and anywhere between 5 to 10% for more couples to do so as well to a maximum of 5 couples displaying love.
Also, families walking together happily with their kids and such displays that "life is happening".
Of course, these occurrences should be pretty rare in settlements where the stats are too low, like, somewhere with 0 Food and Loyalty would probably have too many issues for people to think of love, but that would only make it rare and not impossible to occur, possibly dividing % chances by 5, which would make it pretty rare to occur but still very much possible.

You could, possibly, sometimes catch a lord and his wife or a lady and her husband or suitor being slightly more intimate with one another, things like talking, laughing, caressing hands, touching face and hair and possibly even make you lose some relation with them if you interrupt their "alone time".

There could be quests of notables asking you to bring a letter from them to their lover in their place, which if delivered, would raise their relationship among one another, which could mean they could possibly marry down the future, and possibly raise both their relations slightly with you, as you helped their love blossom.

Love is one major aspect of human society and for love people waged wars or ended wars.

Your companions might also ask to get out of your party temporarily to visit their loved ones.
And that is not reserved for romantic love, but fraternal love as well, as they would wish to visit friends and family.
And that would open the possibility of you going with them or visiting the settlement where they are and meeting their loved ones.
Imagine being friends with one of your companions parents or marrying your bodyguard's sister.
Maybe being the wingman of one of your companions.

If they add more "small talk" dialog options later down the line, as I suggested in the 3R System, such depth of "love" in the world together with that and situations where you can see and help with the relationships of others would make the world feel so very alive and REAL.

Its something that to some might seem like a small detail, but it is actually HUGE! It adds several if not hundreds of folds and degrees of immersion while opening the possibility for so much new content and so many possible quests and events.

You could be asked to be a witness to a duel, someone you decided to talk in a bar could ask you to "drink" with them, engage in talk and "randomly" give you a quest to track down their long lost lover or even their family.
There are so many possibilities that open up just by adding romantic and fraternal love to NPC's life.

I mean, even the main quest of the game is supposed to be to rescue your characters brothers who got kidnapped by the bandits, which is nothing if not a display of fraternal love, even if that quest has not really been implemented on the game, the whole premise of the game ends up coming down to a display of love, so why not capitalize on that and add layer upon layer of "love" to the world.

With love also comes hate and disliking, so it would make sense that NPCs and the player would gain enemies and rivals the more love they get as well, and that is perfect for a game of battles, diplomacy and war.

Feel free to send me a private message and initiate a conversation with me if for any reason you'd wish to further discuss this or would want my help to flesh out system specific over this idea in my last message because I am totally up to help with them :giggle:

And again, thank you very much for tagging me there. Totally made my day ?

Feel free to send me a private message and initiate a conversation with me if for any reason you'd wish to further discuss this or would want my help to flesh out system specific over this idea in my last message because I am totally up to help with them
We can discuss it here as it is certainly on topic that way others can chime in if they have ideas. I do not have the time at the moment to give it any major thinking, but I will post my first impressions when I do (maybe tomorrow?). I certainly feel this is something that can be added to the main post. I will also give your 3R system a read.

A lot of people have suggested the option to turn off death by age, and I am certainly not opposed to that suggestion if people want to be an immortal. I do like the idea of inheritance and posterity that is supposed to be a major mechanic in Bannerlord eventually, if the past development diaries correctly described their goals on that matter. This is why my suggestions here are mainly to improve upon that feature.
There is a cost for immortal, you can't had a children, like similar highlander, vampire, ect, often trade off, but I guess you can had lover, but can't make children if a immortal. Immortal with no children or mortal with children. I guess there is loophole if you let lover mate other if your mate isn't immortal, that is.

I voted in favor of this one, but only for the ability to arrange marriages for your children, and I think it could also be cool to extend the idea of deciding who you marry to the people of your clan/faction. Would be cool to become some kind of politician who just pulls the strings to get everyone under their banner with little armed effort.
This is a great idea. I have added it to the post.

As I was reading, I thought to suggest that you could make either a 6th category or add a new entry inside "Dynamic Courtship" called "Love is in the air".

Essentially, this is only to mean that the player would not be the only person in the world allowed to find love.
NPCs should marry after a certain time in game goes by.
Having more relationships visible in the game would certainly be a great idea. As far as other notables getting married, that is a major problem in Bannerlord right now, because it just isn't happening (that I know of). New children are being born, but once that generation dies out (assuming the game goes long enough), there would be no more notables alive, making the world very empty.

When walking inside a city, you should occasionally see couples walking while holding hands, or sometimes, most commonly at night, see a couple kissing with their backs onto a wall or hiding down a corner or on an alley. Inside taverns, that could also happen from time to time.
%chance for that should be somewhat low, but still also pretty common, like 15% chance for at least one couple to spawn somewhere on the map and anywhere between 5 to 10% for more couples to do so as well to a maximum of 5 couples displaying love.
Also, families walking together happily with their kids and such displays that "life is happening".
Of course, these occurrences should be pretty rare in settlements where the stats are too low, like, somewhere with 0 Food and Loyalty would probably have too many issues for people to think of love, but that would only make it rare and not impossible to occur, possibly dividing % chances by 5, which would make it pretty rare to occur but still very much possible.
In villages there are children, teens, and adults wandering around or working, so there is some semblance of "life and family" there. Peasants were often far too busy to be shown in public being affectionate with each other, at least from what I could imagine in villages, so perhaps not too much needs to be changed there. Cities certainly could use some work. PDA was also seldom seen back then (only higher classes had the luxury of having time to be openly romantic in public), so if you are in a city at night, running into a couple in such a romantic situation would certainly be low. I would love to see more couples walking together or going about their day together or possibly children following their mother. I would make cities feel more "lived in" rather than people just "existing" there. There could certainly be a higher chance of couples showing in and outside bars, though, as I feel that would be more common.

You could, possibly, sometimes catch a lord and his wife or a lady and her husband or suitor being slightly more intimate with one another, things like talking, laughing, caressing hands, touching face and hair and possibly even make you lose some relation with them if you interrupt their "alone time".
When officially visiting a keep, I doubt the lords and ladies would be openly affectionate with a guest there. That seems unrealistic. However, if you are not a guest and have to bribe the guard to get in, or perhaps you have a high relationship with the lord and lady of the keep to freely arrive unnanounced, the setting in the keep could be "casual" so you might run into something like that. If you are not officially invited, they could get mad, but if you are welcome to come and go freely they wouldn't care as much.

Ladies you are courting should also have other suitors that want her, which possibly could even be reason for duels to happen.
There could be quests of notables asking you to bring a letter from them to their lover in their place, which if delivered, would raise their relationship among one another, which could mean they could possibly marry down the future, and possibly raise both their relations slightly with you, as you helped their love blossom.
I remember there being quests in Warband where you would be asked to deliver letters to admirers, and there were certainly a lot of duels (at least in my games), because almost every lady had a suitor that was also after her. I also recall that depending on the lady, she would love or hate the idea that two suitors dueled over her. That level of romantic depth is certainly missing in Bannerlord. The romantic competitor/rival suggestion can be added to the Dynamic Courtship section of the main post, as I probably fits best there.

Your companions might also ask to get out of your party temporarily to visit their loved ones.
And that is not reserved for romantic love, but fraternal love as well, as they would wish to visit friends and family.
And that would open the possibility of you going with them or visiting the settlement where they are and meeting their loved ones.
Imagine being friends with one of your companions parents or marrying your bodyguard's sister.
Maybe being the wingman of one of your companions.
I miss companion dialogues from Warband. They made companions feel more real. I admit that this is more difficult to do in Bannerlord because companions are randomly generated, but if you keep certain types of dialogue for certain types of companions and backstories, it might be possible, but there would have to be a LARGE number of these to make sure that two companions that are very similar are not just carbon copies of each other down the the dialogue, or that certainly would be immersion breaking. I do expect that some players might feel that companions leaving for personal matters would be inconvenient, so the player should have the option to deny them. After all, they are employed by you for their service. If they are not in your party, they can do whatever without you knowing.

On the topic of companions finding love, I am all for that. Being hired by you should not be a sentence to be single for the rest of their lives. If you have multiple companions in your party, they could even fall for each other. If you travel with other notables in armies or for war, you could perhaps have a notable fall for one of your companions and vice versa. This would also mean that the companion might end up leaving your service, but that's life. If you have a good relationship with that companion and notable, you could possibly convince them to let the companion continue in your service. If you are a ruler of your own kingdom, you could certainly order it. If two companions in your party fall for each other, they would certainly remain in your party. If you don't want to deal with any of this there could be an option in the party section of your clan window to forbid relationships.

If they add more "small talk" dialog options later down the line, as I suggested in the 3R System, such depth of "love" in the world together with that and situations where you can see and help with the relationships of others would make the world feel so very alive and REAL.

Its something that to some might seem like a small detail, but it is actually HUGE! It adds several if not hundreds of folds and degrees of immersion while opening the possibility for so much new content and so many possible quests and events.

You could be asked to be a witness to a duel, someone you decided to talk in a bar could ask you to "drink" with them, engage in talk and "randomly" give you a quest to track down their long lost lover or even their family.
There are so many possibilities that open up just by adding romantic and fraternal love to NPC's life.

I mean, even the main quest of the game is supposed to be to rescue your characters brothers who got kidnapped by the bandits, which is nothing if not a display of fraternal love, even if that quest has not really been implemented on the game, the whole premise of the game ends up coming down to a display of love, so why not capitalize on that and add layer upon layer of "love" to the world.
This seems a bit off topic to the theme of my main post to be added to it. It is more of a general life immersion suggestion than a romance/courtship/progeny suggestion, but it is certainly a good suggestion in and of itself.

So I love a lot of the idea mentioned up top. however I think the renown system would have to be removed for it to work. These mechanics would make the game multigenerational in that time literally every clan would be tier six which would kind of defeat the point of marring into powerful houses as all would be basically equal. So to avoid this go to a pure influence system, spending influence would lower you clan rank, hoarding it would raise it. If you aren't in a faction you could gain influence with that faction via trading, owning workshops in their cities mercenary work etc.

I like most of those suggestions!
The only one I wasn't happy with was adoption because legitimatcy is an issue worth considering but everything else sounds like it'd add a lot of fun and depth

The only one I wasn't happy with was adoption because legitimatcy is an issue worth considering but everything else sounds like it'd add a lot of fun and depth
Legitimacy, as in rightful succession? A number of Roman emperors were adopted, including Augustus Caesar, who also adopted his son. Rome and the Byzantines are major influences to the empire factions, so it's not so farfetched for it to be in the game. Someone also mentioned earlier in this thread that the king of the Battanians was adopted according to backstories, but I haven't checked the truth of that statement.

Back
Top Bottom