Beta 1.3.0 - Sturgian cavalry shields

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, that citation is fanmade and not official. It makes it sound like the Sturgian culture sprang out of initiative by the in-game Nords, which is not the case. The role of the Nords in the foundation of the Sturgian principality is as mercenaries, mirroring the use of norse mercenaries in the foundation of Kievan Rus, which the faction is inspired of.

That citation isn't really claiming anything, its as vague as the devblogs are. Its not like the lore of this game is particularly fleshed out and well established. It was just a link to show the earlier poster that I was replying to no, Sturgians are not a pure Danish/Norweigan inspired faction. That's it.

If you read the official devblog, its not like TW has some master world building narrative, they're just trying to appease people by making a fun gameplay faction and then post-hoc justify it. None of this fleshes out in gameplay, its not like you recruit Nordic mercs & Russian villagers, its pretty vague backstory. The lore is inconsistent from Warband to Bannerlord for obvious gameplay reasons. To be frank, one can reasonably speculate, the only reason the Sturgians are Nordic influenced at all is because people would throw a hissy fit if they couldn't emulate vikings.

That citation isn't really claiming anything, its as vague as the devblogs are. Its not like the lore of this game is particularly fleshed out and well established. It was just a link to show the earlier poster that I was replying to no, Sturgians are not a pure Danish/Norweigan inspired faction. That's it.

If you read the official devblog, its not like TW has some master world building narrative, they're just trying to appease people by making a fun gameplay faction and then post-hoc justify it. None of this fleshes out in gameplay, its not like you recruit Nordic mercs & Russian villagers, its pretty vague backstory. The lore is inconsistent from Warband to Bannerlord for obvious gameplay reasons. To be frank, one can reasonably speculate, the only reason the Sturgians are Nordic influenced at all is because people would throw a hissy fit if they couldn't emulate vikings.
You are completely right and I agree with you, in literally every regard. Good post.

Not really, most old eastern-european principalities were truly influenced by Northeners or were ruled by Norsemen kings. I am fine with the Norse influence through Sturgia as a faction. Point I am trying to make is the Norse round shield were not used on by cavalry, they are extremely difficult to hold on horseback. I do not think it's appropriate to change a historically accurate aspect of the game that does not affect game mechanics to just please "muh vikings" crowd.

Not really, most old eastern-european principalities were truly influenced by Northeners or were ruled by Norsemen kings. I am fine with the Norse influence through Sturgia as a faction. Point I am trying to make is the Norse round shield were not used on by cavalry, they are extremely difficult to hold on horseback. I do not think it's appropriate to change a historically accurate aspect of the game that does not affect game mechanics to just please "muh vikings" crowd.

I agree with you in terms of history (and well everything in this thread in terms of shields). I don't object to the idea of a Nordic-influenced Russian faction at all. Just, speaking personally from perspective, the way its been handled in BL doesn't seem very thought out. It really feels like TW went neurotic with it, when compared to say the lore of a faction like the Aserai which feels consistent in whats been attempted. That's not really neither here nor there in regards to anything.

I agree with you in terms of history (and well everything in this thread in terms of shields). I don't object to the idea of a Nordic-influenced Russian faction at all. Just, speaking personally from perspective, the way its been handled in BL doesn't seem very thought out. It really feels like TW went neurotic with it, when compared to say the lore of a faction like the Aserai which feels consistent in whats been attempted. That's not really neither here nor there in regards to anything.

I understand where you are comming from but hopefully it's just becouse of empty and non-implemented parts of the game. They've said they'll be implementing unique areas for each settlement and there are probably more quests comming too.

Back
Top Bottom