What is the opposite of the Calculating trait?

Users who are viewing this thread

So the game has traits that are conceptually on a continuum:

Merciful - Cruel
Generous - Closefisted
Honest - Devious/Deceitful
Daring - Cautious

In each case, the former is a virtue and the latter is generally regarded as a negative trait (though they may be useful to gameplay in some situations depending how things pan out, eg. Cruel helps intimidation activities).

What about Calculating then? Is the opposite Naive? Stupid? Forthright? Or is it conceptually different and can only be "positive", and has just been thrown in with the traits system because there isn't anywhere else to put it.

Has anyone managed to get any of the mentioned above traits, except for Honest /Devious?
I have read of people claiming to have grinded (ground?) them.

In the description for this mod which fixes the issue that causes your character creation traits to disappear, it lists the values from the base game that you earn in relation to traits by doing certain actions. The exact amount you need to gain a trait isn't specified there, but I've seen comments elsewhere that suggest 1,000 trait XP is the ballpark.

What about Calculating then? Is the opposite Naive? Stupid? Forthright? Or is it conceptually different and can only be "positive", and has just been thrown in with the traits system because there isn't anywhere else to put it.

Impulsive.

I've seen it before but I can't find anyone with it now.

Nice, so its Impulsive then. Well picked up.

Yeah at the moment I'm not aware of any way to "lose" Calculating XP (ie. gain Impulsive), unlike the other 4 traits which all have grindy known ways to go both up and down.

I have seen "Impulsive" on some of the Recruitable Companions. And I think a Vlandian Female noble. Definitely on the RNG Generated companions though.

As far as I am aware none of these are working on live or beta, and you can only actually lose a trait but never gain new ones.

As far as I am aware none of these are working on live or beta, and you can only actually lose a trait but never gain new ones.
I want to say Challenge Accepted because from what I've read it appears it is technically possible to gain a trait currently - but reviewing the known sources of trait XP, it is probably a bigger grind than I'm willing to endure. The only practical one is Devious/Deceitful which anyone can get by executing lords. That event gives 20 times as much trait XP towards Devious/Deceitful as any other known event does for any trait.

To gain Calculating for example, you need to defeat lords and let them go, or convince a lord to switch sides. You would need to do those things 50 times to get the same amount of Calculating XP as you would get Devious/Deceitful XP for executing one lord.

And no faster do I say that, I acquire the Honest trait while grinding quests. Honest is the easiest positive trait to get as lots of things (especially quests) give positive Honour XP and you can avoid negative Honour XP basically by just not being a jerk - to the people who give you quests anyway. eg. Landlord wants access to Commons requires you to be a jerk to the peasants.

Achieved with no mods.

An interesting thing I have noticed, my current character started with Calculating and was stripped of it by the known trait bug. But Calculating is still highlighted green when he is making a persuasion attempt for which Calculating is supposed to provide a benefit. The ghost of that creation trait still lingers, though I have no idea whether it is actually changing the probability of the relevant persuasion attempts.

I have the Closefisted trait and I have absolutely no idea how I got it. Just because I am careful with my money it doesn't make me a tightwad.

:rolleyes:
Well done. The only way I've seen documented for losing Generosity XP is to treat your party like dirt. I don't know whether that means sustaining low morale or letting them starve, but the two go together anyway. Either you put your party through hell constantly, or there must be other ways to "gain tightwad XP".

Back
Top Bottom