SP - Battles & Sieges Wooden Crossbows Need Nerf

Users who are viewing this thread

Arkyll

Recruit
Can anyone explain what makes a wooden crossbow do twice the damage of a normal bow?

The actual bow has a low poundage and the projectile itself has less mass and stability than a normal arrow.

Wooden crossbows consistently have this misrepresentation about their power, when in reality their advantage was certainly not so.

Too often I am playing the game and in a split second I am not because some guy with a low poundage hunting bow that so happens to be mounted to a mechanism has taken out 2/3 of my health in a single shot. They need a nerf or at least a reskin, because I find it annoying and stupid and poorly balanced if im totally honest.

Ranged in general are overpowered at the moment, even neglecting realism archers are way too powerful and accurate. Like holy damn you can easily hit targets at long range with no archery skills to speak of.

Im typing this out including the armor improvement mod. And even with it, armored units struggle to fight multiple peasants with sticks. The whole combat balancing in this game needs a rework, its currently torn and twisted.

Hunting crossbows from the late medieval and renaissance periods tended to be 350 - 600lbs draw weight while war crossbows ranged from around 700 - 1300lbs. By comparison a war bow (longbow) ranged from 100 - 200lbs draw weight.

Are you considering your relative velocity to your attacker and also where you are being struck?

Hunting crossbows from the late medieval and renaissance periods tended to be 350 - 600lbs draw weight while war crossbows ranged from around 700 - 1300lbs. By comparison a war bow (longbow) ranged from 100 - 200lbs draw weight.

You can't make a direct comparison between the draw weight of different bows without taking the draw distance into consideration. For example, if you have a long bow and a short bow and both of them have a draw weight of 200lb, the long bow will still be able to shoot a projectile with more energy due to the longer draw length.

Any crossbow made out of materials from the Middle Ages will have a very short draw length compared to any bow.

I believe you can get a rough calculation of the energy transferred to the projectile by taking an integral of the draw strength over draw distance.

You can't make a direct comparison between the draw weight of different bows without taking the draw distance into consideration. For example, if you have a long bow and a short bow and both of them have a draw weight of 200lb, the long bow will still be able to shoot a projectile with more energy due to the longer draw length.

Any crossbow made out of materials from the Middle Ages will have a very short draw length compared to any bow.

I believe you can get a rough calculation of the energy transferred to the projectile by taking an integral of the draw strength over draw distance.

No the calculation is sadly way more complicated than that.

Sadly I can't find enough data on Crossbow bolt speed to calculate or even roughly estimate the power of a 1000lbs cross bow.

Back
Top Bottom