corona? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

He is imagining himself a doctor-scientist now?

This could be used for our advance. He could be convinced that his idea is genius and he should be the first to get a bleach injection treatment.

The coronavirus stimulus package was meant to put emergency spending money into the economy, issuing a $1,200 check to most Americans that they can use to pay their bills in this time of hardship, and help stimulate businesses in the process. Now, though, we’re learning about all the strings that are coming attached to that hastily passed package — including the fact that U.S. citizens aren’t eligible to receive the money if they’re married and filed taxes jointly with an immigrant who doesn’t have a social security number.

Good God. That's just wrong. This virus seems to be bringing out the worst in people.

Yes. It's sad that it doesn't seem to give immunity. But like with some other infections,
the second time it might offer some protection, with and a more mild course and lower mortality.
It's just speculation, but at least that would be something.

This is a bit amusing

Italy is preparing to reopen its stores and return to normal life. For the elderly, this is a bit uncertain as there´s currently a debate on whether to allow people aged 75 or older outside for when those younger will now leave their homes. Papers are on a national level, not needed anymore, but might vary after region.
S I K E

This excludes travelling outside of your resident region. Conte said it will be hard to move between big cities or otherwise particularly affected areas such as Lombardy and Piemonte. "Travelling from Milan to Rome and Palermo to Naples and vice versa might prove difficult." For me, this is not good news, as I have a booked flight from Rome on the 7th.
Allowed for leaving Italy, work or health reasons

Good God. That's just wrong. This virus seems to be bringing out the worst in people.

It's not the virus really, it's just the American system under the current administration. I moved to the US myself to marry my wife a little over one year ago, and I was unable to work for about 9 months. I do engineering research in academia for a living, so I am theoretically one of those "highly educated" individuals he seems to want to bring in, but I still had to sit around doing nothing for almost a year. Not that being educated should have anything to do with being allowed to provide for yourself and your US citizen spouse (that's what ticks me off the most, they are not just harming immigrants, they are also harming their spouses who are US citizens).

Yes. It's sad that it doesn't seem to give immunity. But like with some other infections,
the second time it might offer some protection, with and a more mild course and lower mortality.
It's just speculation, but at least that would be something.

This is a bit amusing

That is very amusing :lol: . To be fair, WHO is not saying that the virus doesn't give immunity, they are just saying that there is no evidence that it does. Which is normal given that the virus hasn't been studied for that long, the only way to prove that would be to reinfect people who already had covid 19 with a new batch, which would be... Let's say unethical at best. The way I see it this communicate is more about them covering their read ends.

Texas is doing a phased reopening. That said, we didn't really close. We've also had really low infection rates even though the state was really late to the game when it comes to issuing social distancing orders and such. Also, we have a high number of hospital beds and emergency rooms compared to similarly populated states, not sure why, but current projections show us only needing a fraction of hospital facilities available. People are already too spread out here that social distancing didn't really change much, I think. All in all it's been pretty normal here other than not eating out any more and having to order pickup from stores instead of walking in.

So far all of Africa is a dark spot on the map, with just 32,138 confirmed cases.
However reports from Nigeria show that a huge number of people could be dying, but are simply not tested.
Ibrahim Musa, a medical doctor working at a federal hospital in Kano, described a sharp rise in cases of pneumonia over recent weeks, with widespread suspicions by medical personnel that the cases are linked to Covid-19.

“Pneumonia cases have been rising but that is not being recorded as Covid-19 because they are not testing. The pattern emerging widely is that elderly people are dying more. These deaths started happening when the lockdown was on the ground,” he said.

Perhaps WHO should start treating reports of sharp rises in pneumonias in Africa as signs of Covid-19 hotspots...

Last edited:
I didn't know Elon Musk was a conservative fool.
You'd think he was too clever to fall for banal misinformation (or he just wants people to leave home and buy cars).
Since the outbreak began, he’s promoted studies that suggest doctors are inflating case numbers for financial reasons, or that the vast majority of fatalities in Italy are due to other causes. He promoted a widely discredited paper on the benefits of chloroquine, which was debunked so quickly that both Twitter and Google Docs refused to host it. In another instance, he compared the outbreak to the common cold. On March 6th, he said simply “the coronavirus panic is dumb.” On March 14th, he said the “danger of panic still far exceeds danger of corona,” as part of a larger thread promoting chloroquine as an effective treatment. On March 19th, he predicted that the US would see close to zero new cases by the end of April. (The US is currently registering more than 25,000 new cases each day, a number itself limited by testing capacity.)

I didn't know Elon Musk was a conservative fool.
You'd think he was too clever to fall for banal misinformation (or he just wants people to leave home and buy cars).

That sent me on a Twitter exploration adventure where I found an embarassing number of people who still try to suggest that covid is nothing more than the flu with bad math. And in some cases the errors are hidden in walls of text so it is basically impossible for people who actually know what they are doing to debunk every one of them. Truly depressing.

I would have loved for any of these lovely fellows to have been in Bergamo at the beginning of this month.

All of the US-based news sites you could use to find out about Covid-19 in New York, and you use China Daily. :lol:

Its interesting and useful to browse as many news sources as possible at the beggining of researches ^^

Here a corona-related news, from US & video:

Im in New York (hour north of NYC), no people regardless of political affiliations are actually locked down or quarantining effectively. Even people who wear masks take them off constantly for comfort. I work as a delivery driver and traffic is as bad as it always is.

EXAoZKbWAAAqWgp

Techno and Hippo for me.

R < 1 is the 'flattened curve', I think (correct if wrong). Meaning we have the logistics to hospitalize enough people.

If the virus exists, why has nobody I know become ill from it? In fact, I haven't seen anyone die, at all. Oh, I forgot- I'm supposed to believe all the news reports without any proof, like a fool! :roll: If I didn't have this silly cough right now I'd go to the seaside for the day, and sod the police.

That reminds me of 2 questions:
- Are/were conservatives more dismissive of the severity of the virus? People like Bolsonaro, Trump and Johnson (famously shaking hands with infected) downplayed the dangers and referred to it as no worse than a flu (which is already a big killer, though). Right-wing media was also busy downplaying the situation, calling it "hysteria".
- If that is the case, why are conservatives so adamant in refuting the danger of the situation, compared to politicians on the left?

(Sweden is an interesting exception - but the PM didn't dismiss the danger. The government just chose a different, 'relaxed' approach.)

Back
Top Bottom