Features from Viking Conquest I would like before EA ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

1) How formations and infantry AI worked. Was much better - solid shieldwall fights happened. Still room for improvement, sure, but at present its better than how things work in bannerlord.

2) Spears being effective weapons & the weapon of choice of peasants/levies/low level troops.

3) Hideouts/camps/lairs: To be honest I kind of assumed Bannerlord would expand on this and make those bandit/mercenary playstyles have more content, but instead I can't even make a camp.

4) Dismemberment. Gimme the choppity chop.

5) Toggable game options: One of the really smart things VC was let have a toggable stamina system & wound system, this could be extended to include some options that are worth including but divisive (some people hate character aging, for example). I for one really like the stamina system, but acknowledge that it has to be optional.

6) Red hair and holy **** gimme those sweet hairstyles from VC.

7) Things to sink money into (Boats, lairs, etc).

*Credit where credits due: Thanks for the hair under (some) helmet. Going bald the second I put on headgear irks me. VC was the first to do this (thanks to me, you're welcome) and its good to implemented that at the very least.

I don't really care that this stuff isn't in the game now but y'all should add it eventually.

In VC, I liked to mine in the local quarry and spend my life as a peasant riddled with filth.
Also, the biggest void for me is a world like Calradia missing a religion aspect to it.

Plus one to all of this. I'm replaying VC at the moment and it's awesome.

Also, in VC you could have a dog!

One thing I would point out though is that while the battle system works really well in VC, a big part of that is that the armies are all very similar and there are fewer troop types. Most infantry is shielded and there is very little cavalry. There are no horse archers, jav cav suck, and there is very little melee cavalry (and no real heavy cav). Skirmishers and archers are only useful to harass the enemy and soften them up. The only way to win a battle in VC is with Heavy infantry.

One of the problems Warband always had with combat was balancing vastly different combat styles, and Bannerlord seems to have the same problem.

VC really is the underrated gem of the M&B series that got hurt by it's Bad press die to the buggy and unstable Release.
But damn was reforged great. And a good example how Warband could be improved. And barely any of it made it into Bannerlord, sadly.
Needless to say I completely agree with your whole list. And thanks for the hair Unser helmets Feature. That was damn awesome.

VC was the only MnB campaign I played. Loved it!

- The need for daily rest is a must. Perhaps at least every 2 days.

- Being able to build the party camp is a must IMO.

- Having your homestead type place to stash things

- The ability to stash food or gear at workshops.

- Supernatural type stuff, hidden groves, stone hinge, Berserker cults, hidden ruins to explore with treasure chests, the troll under the bridge, epic enemies with 1 v 1 combat type encounters and epic rewards. Hope to see similar in Bannerlord campaign.

I totally agree... seeing that bannerlord is way worse than viking conquest in terms of game mechanics is pretty dissapointing

If its just for EA, totally fair, no big deal.
I just hope they recognize for final release that these things should be incorporated otherwise it feels like regression.

You guys are reminding me of the other great features, though. Honestly VC on Bannerlords engine/graphics would be awesome in terms of content and features.

Plus one to all of this. I'm replaying VC at the moment and it's awesome.

Also, in VC you could have a dog!

One thing I would point out though is that while the battle system works really well in VC, a big part of that is that the armies are all very similar and there are fewer troop types. Most infantry is shielded and there is very little cavalry. There are no horse archers, jav cav suck, and there is very little melee cavalry (and no real heavy cav). Skirmishers and archers are only useful to harass the enemy and soften them up. The only way to win a battle in VC is with Heavy infantry.

One of the problems Warband always had with combat was balancing vastly different combat styles, and Bannerlord seems to have the same problem.

That is true, the combat scope was toned down and its easier to balance that.
Now, personally speaking, I don't mind lack of perfect balance if things function decently. Like cavalry might ultimately be the better meta than infantry, but if infantry at least worked properly it might be more fun to play. Given the seemingly hard limits on AI its always possible for a skilled player to out-strat an AI with an arguably inferior army, just needs to be fun to do.

1) How formations and infantry AI worked. Was much better - solid shieldwall fights happened. Still room for improvement, sure, but at present its better than how things work in bannerlord.

2) Spears being effective weapons & the weapon of choice of peasants/levies/low level troops.

3) Hideouts/camps/lairs: To be honest I kind of assumed Bannerlord would expand on this and make those bandit/mercenary playstyles have more content, but instead I can't even make a camp.

4) Dismemberment. Gimme the choppity chop.

5) Toggable game options: One of the really smart things VC was let have a toggable stamina system & wound system, this could be extended to include some options that are worth including but divisive (some people hate character aging, for example). I for one really like the stamina system, but acknowledge that it has to be optional.

6) Red hair and holy **** gimme those sweet hairstyles from VC.

7) Things to sink money into (Boats, lairs, etc).
Yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes and...
giphy.gif

I totally agree... seeing that bannerlord is way worse than viking conquest in terms of game mechanics is pretty dissapointing

I agree, it's not all EA in here as some suggest. VC had more options and it's not close.

And wow tournaments are dull in this game.

1. Zero atmosphere, no ladies or generals to meet.
2. Water down, there's a tournament in every town almost every day.
3. Too easy to breeze through once you have alright equipment

VC did this so much better!!!!!

Last edited:
I agree, it's not all EA in here as some suggest. VC had more options and it's not close.

And wow tournaments are dull in this game.

1. Zero atmosphere, no ladies or generals to meet.
2. Water down, there's a tournament in every town almost every day.
3. Too easy to breeze through once you have alright equipment

VC did this so much better!!!!!

Not to mention that VC had those options to be a hunter, labourer.... The role play value is just way better in VC

Viking Conquest is a better game than Bannerlord as things stand.

I was really hoping Bannerlord would include all of the Viking Conquest features along with new additions, with these being tied together in a new engine.

VC really is the underrated gem of the M&B series that got hurt by it's Bad press die to the buggy and unstable Release.
But damn was reforged great. And a good example how Warband could be improved. And barely any of it made it into Bannerlord, sadly.
Needless to say I completely agree with your whole list. And thanks for the hair Unser helmets Feature. That was damn awesome.

I thought VC was amazing. No real complaints, played far too many hours on that game. If I had one complaint, the main quest mother component was a bit cheesy. Could have done without that.

+1 Agreed!

VC laid a very good ground work for improvement of the M&B formula, it would really help the game feel more alive.

And first thing first, Please put guys with ACTUAL SHIELDS in the front rank of a SHIELD wall. Or at least say that you guys are trying to do that or something. It hurts my soul seeing unshielded recruits stand in front and eat a javelin to the face, while heavily armored elites with shield hide behind them in the 3rd rank.

I thought these features would be implemented in BL especially naval combat and decapitations or at least boat and ship transport. Boats and ships would go great for raiding and trading. And yeah whats with the hair colors, they are like 3-4 different colors that are bleached from one another.

Back
Top Bottom