Bannerlord Editor tools - rumour mill

Users who are viewing this thread

I figure we should have a place to discuss the Bannerlord Editor and share any tidbits we find or have in one place. I'll start.

First of all this video (from 2015!)

Then this screenshot showing the prefab interface with attached scripting:
nBhNh7V.jpg

There are also screenshots here and there in the EA code for scenes in editor view, showing widgets and such. Have a look in your Bannerlord installation folder for this path for instance: Mount&BladeIIBannerlord/Modules/SandBox/SceneObj/battania_village/thumbnail.png

Any discussion/rumours/expectations/wishlists for the editor, post them here!

@Callum has an entry in his TaleWorlds Modding Q&A thread related to screenshots for their various tools. Sadly, doesn't seem like anything's been linked yet.

I also find this kind of stuff interesting. I understand that the tools may not be quite ready for modders for a while, but some screenshots of them which we could salivate over wouldn't hurt. ?

You have a few files related to the editor in the various modules. Not much, but they are called project.mbproj (in moduledata) and are mainly paths used as output for their tools.
Less appealing than a screenshot but well ... It confirms a bit more they are using a VS addon.

There are references to "Edit mode" all through the code - MBTestRun for instance:

Code:
static bool EnterEditMode()
static bool LeaveEditMode()

Makes me think that the edit mode can be toggled on and off from the engine during normal play...

Would that editor in the video be the same programme to create world maps? Or would they be done in more of a TotalWar/Paradox(Clauswitz) engine style, heightmap, province map, rivers, towns etc as separate image files?

I never modded Warband, and don't know if Bannerlord will be the same as those two games above, I'd like to know so I can start gathering the bits n pieces to make a map.

Would that editor in the video be the same programme to create world maps? Or would they be done in more of a TotalWar/Paradox(Clauswitz) engine style, heightmap, province map, rivers, towns etc as separate image files?

I never modded Warband, and don't know if Bannerlord will be the same as those two games above, I'd like to know so I can start gathering the bits n pieces to make a map.
World maps are also made in their scene editor.

According to the devs there are
  • Scene editor
  • Mesh editor
  • Material editor
  • Model/Animation viewer
  • Skeleton editor
  • Replay editor
  • Particle editor
  • Atmosphere Editor
  • Cloth editor
  • Path editor
  • Resource Browser
  • Runtime performance profile tools
And during the alpha there were more references to them left in the files. Mostly they left the files for the editor's skins, but this gave a lot of information about what options there were inside the editors themselves (as well as that we can customize them to look however we'd like). Here's a copy-paste of the notes I took in July when I got into the alpha.

• Editor allows for skins! In the beta there are quite a few already.
    • Black (custom icons and bg)
    • Fire (custom icons and bg, has popeye)
    • Machinery (custom icons)
    • Metal
    • Sandy
    • Xmas
    • And without custom assets there are:
    • Coffee
    • Commandline
    • Dark
    • Darkorange
    • Final
    • Greenonblack
    • Newstyle
    • Style
    • Style_template
    • Style_template_orj
    • visualDebug
    • I’ll read through the .qss files sometime later
  • Based on available icons there are:
    • Paint AO
    • Paint CVolor
    • Paint Flora
    • Paint Terrain
    • Particle Editor
    • Path Editor
    • An Edit mode named prt_edit_mode with a cube with highlighted verts and G I?
    • Water Flow (possibly paintable)
    • Vertex Paint Mode
    • Atmosphere Editor
    • Add Terrain
    • Add Entity
    • Skeleton Editor, which seems to allow you to make the skeleton in engine as it also has buttons to add bones and add ik stuff
    • Scene Editor
    • LOD generation? Maybe a way to force LODs for inspection.
Keep in mind this is copied directly from the file names, so Paint CVolor is Probably actual Paint VColor as in Vertex Color.

By the way, some of the brushes were left in the alpha. They looked sort of like how you make a brush in an art program, and it was clear that the option to add some on the user's end.

Unfortunately I didn't clone any of these files when I had the opportunity (I felt like it would be a violation of trust and I assumed they would be included into the EA builds) and so they're all gone now.

• Scene editor
  • Mesh editor
  • Material editor
  • Model/Animation viewer
  • Skeleton editor
  • Replay editor
  • Particle editor
  • Atmosphere Editor
  • Cloth editor
  • Path editor
  • Resource Browser
And during the alpha there were more references to them left in the files. Mostly they left the files for the editor's skins, but this gave a lot of information about what options there were inside the editors themselves (as well as that we can customize them to look however we'd like). Here's a copy-paste of the notes I took in July when I got into the alpha.

• Metal
    • Sandy
    • Xmas
    • Coffee
    • Commandline
    • Dark
    • Darkorange
    • Final
    • Greenonblack
    • Newstyle
    • Style
    • Style_template
    • Style_template_orj
    • visualDebug
    • Paint AO
    • Paint CVolor
    • Paint Flora
    • Paint Terrain
    • Particle Editor
    • Path Editor
    • Vertex Paint Mode
    • Atmosphere Editor
    • Add Terrain
    • Add Entity
    • Skeleton Editor, which seems to allow you to make the skeleton in engine as it also has buttons to add bones and add ik stuff
    • Scene Editor
Keep in mind this is copied directly from the file names, so Paint CVolor is Probably actual Paint VColor as in Vertex Color.

By the way, some of the brushes were left in the alpha. They looked sort of like how you make a brush in an art program, and it was clear that the option to add some on the user's end.

Unfortunately I didn't clone any of these files when I had the opportunity (I felt like it would be a violation of trust and I assumed they would be included into the EA builds) and so they're all gone now.
Great insight. Hopefully, add terrain will allow us to import height maps.

This is my favorite one, about the map editor. I also can't wait to get my hands on this and start making scenes for any upcoming persistent world type mods.

Last edited:
  • Scene editor
  • Mesh editor
  • Material editor
  • Model/Animation viewer
  • Skeleton editor
  • Replay editor
  • Particle editor
  • Atmosphere Editor
  • Cloth editor
  • Path editor
  • Resource Browser

• Metal
    • Sandy
    • Xmas
    • Coffee
    • Commandline
    • Dark
    • Darkorange
    • Final
    • Greenonblack
    • Newstyle
    • Style
    • Style_template
    • Style_template_orj
    • visualDebug
    • Paint AO
    • Paint CVolor
    • Paint Flora
    • Paint Terrain
    • Particle Editor
    • Path Editor
    • Vertex Paint Mode
    • Atmosphere Editor
    • Add Terrain
    • Add Entity
    • Scene Editor

Yes, editor allows skins because QT allow skins but we are only using one of them others are not up to date and have lots of broken things, but modders can use our default one to create new skins.

Back
Top Bottom