Should we be able to marry non-nobles like Companions, Merchants & Gang Leaders?

Marriage Outside the Nobility?

• Yes

Votes: 111 99.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I sort of feel like the game expects us to be power hungry blue-blood wannabes. It's strange enough that we basically start the game as non-nobles who sort of just make up a family name, slap a logo on it and call it a day. At least in Warband we might have to work up to the moment a King or Queen dubs us a lord in our own right (usually as we join a faction). But our only option for having a family is to climb the ladder into high society. I get that we are the "Clan Leader" and there are some expectations.

But what do we get from marrying a noble? Besides a new companion we get, I think, about 50 relation points with her family - which to be honest isn't all that much at the moment since it's not enough to ensure votes go our way and basic quests with low charm already net us +7 relation points. Not to mention, we can convert influence points into relation points for each clan, 50 influence points per relationship point. If all we're losing from marrying a non-noble (if an option) is that +50 points, it seems pretty livable.

To my mind the primary advantages of marriage are a new companion and the ability to have kids. There's no reason that anyone other than a non-noble couldn't suffice for such purposes. There could even be advantages for marrying certain non-nobles: merchants might bring their workshop into the clan, and gang leaders might already have controlled city rackets (Gang Content WIP atm). They would then join your party as companions and the rest goes on from there. Although honestly, these benefits would surpass what we get from marrying a noble if you don't care about relationship points.

If the game wants to add a penalty, like a negative to renown, then that's a small price to pay for true love.... and a gang of violent criminals (if you marry the Gang Leader). It would certainly be a welcome option if you didn't want to rush into the arms of faction just to secure a spouse once nobles start wooing in later patches.

What do you guys think?

+1

I was planning on writing up a very long and in-depth suggestion on relationships and courting that includes more marriageable freedom, and I probably still will, but you have my support.

Edit: I have completed it and posted it in feedback and suggestions here.

Last edited:
This game needs to allow as much possibilities as possible. Games nowadays can't be so restrictive, that's just not the winning formula.

Give players more freedom and flexibility.

At best, marrying an important person in the city would give you full access to that row of troops that you can recruit into the army as well as special troops maybe? Probably nothing too crazy but I can't see what more you could gain from such a marriage. At least when you marry a noble of a clan you gain benefits such as a higher chance of that clan joining you when you separate your territory from your faction as far as I can tell.

Yep. i would like to have a chance to marry a none noble ..i think its a must that needs to be added to the game.i hate having only nobles to marry that used to get me in WB ..

At best, marrying an important person in the city would give you full access to that row of troops that you can recruit into the army as well as special troops maybe?

That would actually be a concern for such an arrangement in terms of coding. Perhaps they would be replaced by another related npc that would be auto-created and then they would join you as a companion?

Yep. i would like to have a chance to marry a none noble ..i think its a must that needs to be added to the game.i hate having only nobles to marry that used to get me in WB ..

Same, we could start out the game as the son or daughter of poachers and still we were expected to marry into nobility. Granted, marriage back then wasn't about love or solely family. Rather it was intended to keep a string of alliances and land rights in place - but none of these rationales are remotely represented in the game itself save for the odd support when forming your own Kingdom.

Second that, good idea.

I somehow feel climbung up the ladders to the nobility is more or less railroaded. But I think more "commoners gameplay" is a good thing to be really adressed in mods because you can do a ton of stuff with that.
This option however feels absolutely right. Why not start off marrying lowborn and then later on ascend to nobility?

Second that, good idea.

I somehow feel climbung up the ladders to the nobility is more or less railroaded. But I think more "commoners gameplay" is a good thing to be really adressed in mods because you can do a ton of stuff with that.
This option however feels absolutely right. Why not start off marrying lowborn and then later on ascend to nobility?

Or maybe our son as we make the path free for him in climbing the ladder that he can rise even more.

I'd like that even if just to have a mercenary family. Don't even need the dowry money, just give me a source for children without political commitment.

Back
Top Bottom