Users who are viewing this thread

I kind of went through an extra effort to create images and a video for this suggestion using GIMP and Kdenlive because I was excited, so if possible, I would thank you all very much if you could leave a reply commenting on the quality of the images as well, not just the idea itself, because I have no real experience with image or video editing and it was a LOOOT of work to make everything.
Hope you guys like it.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Introduction
I mentioned a few times before, in replies to other feedback and in a previous post of my own that the current "Prosperity" value is confusing because it misguides you to believe it means how prosperous and profitable that settlement is, but instead, it actually more closely represent how much population is in that settlement.

There is also the Food/Prosperity downward loop that several feedback posts also tackled with suggestions on how to fix, and I would like to present with a few ideas that gives way more control over a settlement's management while also removing that confusion due to prosperity's name.

Prosperity
In order to avoid the players being misguided due to its name and also provide one more value that helps against the downward spiral, as I suggested a few times before, I believe Prosperity should be split into 2 values:
  • Population
    Population-Icon-1-6x.png

That would represent how much people reside inside that settlement so its modifiers would represent birth rate, death rate, tourism influx, tourism outflux, immigration and emigration.
    It would provide a negative modifier to Food, while also providing a positive modifier to Militia and that settlement's Taxes and Tariffs.
    It would take into consideration how many recruits are available, so recruiting units would slightly reduce the population, caravans and villagers currently visiting, nobles present, heroes and all other units that might visit or exit the settlement somehow.
    It would also be split into Children, Adults and Elderly percentages within the "Manage Settlement" window and the negative modifier due to mortality rate would affect more on the Elderly than adults and more on adults than on children.

&
  • Efficiency
    Efficiency.png

That would represent how much that settlement is capable producing and its modifiers would represent the yield of the fields, market sales, cattle results, unemployment rates, money flow and the likes.
    It would provide a positive modifier to Food, Militia and Tariffs.
    The more the settlement produces, the more militia can be hired and more food there is.
    It would also affect the production of goods in the villages of that settlement's fief and the availability of goods produced by the settlement's workshop in the trade market .
    Efficiency's value would also influence the price to purchase a workshop in that settlement.
Daily production in workshops and village produces would be slightly altered to be calculated by:

Base value * Efficiency * (Nº of adults in your population[workforce] - Unemployment%) * Possible policy or effects modifiers​

Unemployment rate would vary according to money flow in the trade market. The more money coming in, the lower the unemployment rate.

Edicts:
Simultaneous to the split of prosperity, I would like to suggest the implementation of an Edicts system to the Town and Castle management.
Edicts would be, in a sense, similar to kingdom policies, yet on a smaller scale affecting only a single settlement and the villages of its fief.

Version-2.png

Interface.png

The available edicts I could think of were:
  1. Social-Repose.png
    Social Repose:
    • +10% Food Consumption*.
    • +10% Tariff revenue.
    • -1 Efficiency per day.
    • +1 Loyalty per day.
    Cost: 20 Efficiency​

2. Forbid-Immigration.png
    Forbid Immigration:
    • -10% Tariff revenue.
    • +1 Security per day.
    • -2 Militia per day.
    • -10 Population per day.
    Cost: 20 Efficiency​

3. Stimulate-Immigration.png
    Stimulate Immigration:
    • +15% Food Consumption*.
    • +10 Population per day.
    • +2 Militia per day.
    • +1 Efficiency per day.
    • -1 Loyalty per day.
    Cost: 20 Security, 10 Loyalty​

4. Stimulate-Emmigration.png
    Stimulate Emmigration:
    • -20% Tax revenue.
    • -20 Population per day.
    • -1 Militia per day.
    • -2 Efficiency per day.
    Cost: 20 Efficiency, 10 Security​

5. Forced-Conscription.png

Forced Conscription:
    • Fills 2 empty recruitment slots with tier 1 units
      every day.
    • Increase all the fief's Recruit's tier by 1 after
      (1 * tier) week without being recruited up to tier 4.
    • -2 Efficiency per day.
    • +5 Militia per day.
    Cost: 30 Efficiency​

6. Curfew.png
    Curfew:
    • -1 Population per day.
    • +5 Security per day.
    • -5 Efficiency per day.
    • -5 Loyalty per day.
    Cost: 30 Efficiency, 20 Loyalty​

7. Food-Rationing.png
    Food Rationing:
    • -40% Food Consumption*.
    • -40% Tariff revenue.
    • -5 Loyalty per day.
    • -5 Efficiency per day.
    • -5 Population per day.
    • -10 Security per day.
    Cost: 30 Efficiency, 20 Loyalty​

8. Martial-Law.png
    Martial Law:
    • Militia counts as Garrison for Security
      at 50% of the effect.
    • Double Security's growth**.
    • -20% Tariff revenue.
    • +20% Food Consumption*.
    • +5 Militia per day.
    • -10 Loyalty per day.
    Cost: 50 Efficiency, 30 Loyalty​

*Consumption = The negative modifier in Food due to Population(Currently Prosperity).
    **Growth = Any positive result after the sum of all positive & negative modifiers.
Governance
Governors, be them either companions or hired, would use and change these edicts for you as they see fit according to their profile and preferences from time to time, yet, if and when a settlement were to be without a governor, the player would be allowed to change an Edict using the Clan's window Fief's tab, but it would take time before that change takes place relative to how far the player was from that fief in the map as if the message he sent takes time to reach.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

These changes would provide a wider array of tools to fix a settlement's statistics, besides making "Prosperity" less misguiding by changing it completely while also giving one more value and modifier to help avoid the Food Production's downward spiral and better equip the players to handle their fiefs.

I am extremely thankful for user @Ackdam for the extensive assistance with finishing to flesh out this idea.
I really hope you like it and any comment with your thoughts and opinions, be it about the idea itself, the images or the short video would be very, VERY appreciated :giggle:

Some extra feedback and possibilities within this idea as provided by Ackdam

-Martial Law and Curfew could have negative effects on gang leader relations with time.
-Encourage Immigration and Social Repose might improve relations with the traders and have their quests pop up more.
-Forbid Immigration and Encourage Emigration would be detrimental to your relations with traders and have their quests pop up less.

LeyJo.png

Last edited:
I can already tell this is going to be a long reply... Here we go!

Prosperity

Population:

• Recruitable units should be pulled from Militia, otherwise the options would only be peasants.

Productivity: Not sure I completely agree with this one since we already have a Daily Production stat.
  • Productivity, from an owner's standpoint, is the ability to build improvements to the fief, not provide products to the masses, that is the purview of the craftsmen and workshops.
  • Possibly Comfort instead. This could cover things such as:
    • surplus or shortage of supplies
    • available variety of foods (preferably without the oil as a food bug)
    • available luxury items (jewelry/velvet/pottery/furs)
    • the general wealth of the populous.
    • The values could also affect the growth rate of the fief. A fief with a generous surplus of food and lucrative business opportunities would be more appealing than a fief that is starving with homeless beggars lining the streets (should be implemented as well for poor fiefs).

Edicts

Okay, I'm impressed. Very nice work on the images.
  • First, this would probably be better in its own interface or give the management window sections similar to the clan and kingdom interfaces to switch between upgrades, statistics, and edicts. As for why to give it its own interface:
    • I can already see that some of the edicts you came up with could be active at the same time, which a dropdown list can't handle.
    • There is also potential for there to be A LOT of options for Edicts which could have different degrees of enactment.
  • There is also the possibility that it could be a clan-wide or even kingdom-wide order (If your the a ruler) as opposed to fief-by-fief.
    • That second part could be debatable though and would really work well in the policies system as a votable choice:
      • Royal Decree: All edicts become royal decrees and are applied kingdom-wide, overruling all other edicts in place.
I'll go down your provided edicts, as I'm not going to be able to make any kind of comprehensive list. It would be far too long and probably take me days to research and balance the effects to a satisfactory level. Considering my past suggestion posts this would also likely cost me a lot of sleep. One with the show:

Holiday Seasons:
  • One of the on/off edicts that doesn't really rely on others, though Martial law could disable it.
  • The flat cost of security is meh. A flat cost in productivity would make more sense here as many people would probably stop working on holidays.
  • Tax and Tariff might actually increase as people prepare for any festivities.
  • This could be influenced if the culture of the governor differs from the culture of the fief

Forbid Immigration & Stimulate Immigration: Combining as they definitely oppose each other.
  • On/off can pair as opposites. It should not be possible to have both active.
  • Alternately, this could be a slider as to the rate of acceptance of immigration by percentage.
  • The percentages you have on this one illustrates why you have to be careful with numbers.
    • Forbid Immigration is implying that 90% of my population growth is from immigration.
    • Stimulate Immigration, based upon that 90:10 ratio implies that my marketing is that good that I am actually increasing immigration by over 100%.
  • Explanation simplified: This is defining pre-edict population growth of 100 new citizens a year for ease of explanation.
    • Since FI is dropping growth by 90%, we can assume 90 out of every 100 new people per year are immigrants.
    • Doubling that original growth with SI is implying that 100% of the new growth as being from immigration.
    • You are now at 200 new people per year with SI.
    • Since SI implies you are only focusing on immigration-based growth, the 10 natural-born increase is not modified and remains the same.
    • That means that 190 of the new citizens are immigrants with only 10 new births in the fief. Seems a bit off doesn't it?
  • Anyhow, those numbers need to either drop or the edicts need to change to encourage and discourage growth. After all, you can encourage growth in your own population.
  • Also with FI: The lack of increased populace would likely affect productivity more than loyalty for the flat cost. Loyalty might actually rise due to your reliance on the local populace, as might security.
  • Tax and tariff changes would follow the populace and prosperity so probably does not need to be included.
Food Rationing:
  • This one should be one of your biggest hits across the board with very little positive affect.
  • The only positive effect would be the food modifier getting cut, but that should be less than a half cut.
    • Rationed food = less energy = less productivity = less supplies. Sure your they are eating less, but they also don't have the energy to collect as much.
  • Again, tax and tariff is not going to be affected as much.
    • The idea with food rationing is to make less food last longer, not empty the clan's coffers.
  • Loyalty and Productivity would be your main costs here, with possibly a minor security hit.
    • The soldiers would still get decent rations, it would be the peasants who suffer.
Forced Conscription: The draft, oh boy!
  • This was actually pretty common, especially in times of war. It is actually still pretty common in the world today. Google search "Countries with mandatory Military Service 2020". It was often expected that a young man would serve to some extent.
  • As such, the loyalty and security hits here are way off.
  • Productivity would be your main cost as there would be less men available for craftsmen and laborer roles.
  • Tax and tariff again, too high.
  • A 70% increase to the existing militia modifier would not take away half of the taxes.
  • Should not negate all loyalty growth as, again, it was often expected.
  • I don't know that I would increase the recruit tiers right off either.
    • Perhaps implement a system where the recruits available raise in tier the longer they remain unrecruited up to a point (in other words they wouldn't advance past, say, tier 3).
  • FC would, instead, increase the rate that those empty recruit slots fill back up.

Marital Law: Now there is a huge difference between FC and this. But this is also a bit of a debatable option.
  • We're considering a feudal system where all fiefs have garrisons and are in a constant fluctuation between a state of war and preparing for war (let's not try to fool ourselves here).
  • Similar to FC this should not negate all loyalty growth. Martial law is often done for a valid reason, usually due to extreme safety concerns.
  • Nor would you be negating population growth, though it should get lowered.
  • In this case, tax and tariff should be reduced as trade would likely suffer due to being heavily monitored, but not too steeply as the fief would still need income.
  • A small hit to loyalty, as it does tend to affect the populace, but production would take the brunt of it again if only from the extra time it would take for supplies and resources to make it through checkpoints.
Closing observations:
  • Modifier amounts seem awfully high in some places. Generally, modifiers shouldn't go above 20 - 25%, and even that seems high to me for some of these.
  • Flat costs are mostly reasonable, but I don't know that I'd include them at all.
  • Every Edict should have positive and negative affects without an initial cost that generally boosts and impairs traits in a manner close to if not completely balanced, or in favor of the fief's owner.
  • Tariffs and Taxes would be the last things the owner wants to see suffer and the edicts they pass would reflect that, thus why true Martial Law would only been imposed in extreme situations.
I may revisit these later and adjust them individually to what I would consider as being balanced. Don't expect fancy pictures though.

Possible Addition (I know I said I wasn't going to, sue me):

Curfew:
  • Positive effect on security - Anyone in the streets past curfew is questioned at the very least
  • Negative effect on productivity - Less working hours, but not by much for most places
  • Negative effect on food - If you're stuck at home with nothing to do, you're likely going to eat, sleep, or...
  • Positive effect on population growth - If you're stuck at home with your spouse and nothing else to do...
  • Negative effect on loyalty - You are dictating people's lives even more than normal.

Governance

• I am always a fan of changes not taking immediate effect due to distance. If gives a more immersive effect and makes the world feel a bit more real.
  • I am also a fan of not being in total control of people you give power to. While most assigned officials would be in it for themselves, they would try to make sure they don't piss off the wrong people.
  • That said, there are always some who cannot handle power and let even a little go to their heads. Then things go very wrong and we have to call the headsman.
  • I had posted about governors somewhere else. let me see if I can find it... Nevermind it was your post and you already saw it, replied, and it is the link in this section. Here is the direct link to my post there for reference anyway, in case others are curious: Governor for hire

I can already tell this is going to be a long reply... Here we go!

It will definitely take me some time to reply to this as well, but thank you soooo very much on your input ^^

When I answer you, I will also mess quite a bit with the images and stats of the edicts to make some alterations taking what you said at mind.
I saved all the .xcf files, so it is easy to make changes now.

Also, I thought of the term "Productivity" exactly because there already is the term "Daily Production".
I didn't mention it, but I will add after I type a more in-depth reply and after make the alterations.
Productivity is supposed to be a value from 0 to 100, like Security and Loyalty. That's also why I chose this word ending in "ty".
If productivity is at 100% it means everything is producing at its maximum output, so your daily production is at its highest it can possibly be.

It is following the notion that your productivity can't possibly be above 100. If it is, it means that that new value is what actually is your 100% and what you thought was 100% was actually not your maximum.

Your maximum daily production would raise a bit with your population as there is a bigger workforce, and possibly new changes TW adds to the game, like the possibility of building new villages and opening new workshops inside the settlements besides the maximum of a fixed 3 workshop there currently is.

So daily production would be calculated as:

Productivity * (%of population[workforce]) * (nº of villages and workshops)​

I know I said I wasn't going to, sue me

ROFL, dude, I love you, you are awesome ? ?
I laughed so hard at this at such a bad timing coca-cola almost exited through my nose.

Anyways, I will start to work on a proper reply and the images soon, so I'll get back to you later with a few alterations to ask about what you think (y)

• I am always a fan of changes not taking immediate effect due to distance. If gives a more immersive effect and makes the world feel a bit more real.
[/QUOTE]

I would definitely love to see distancesreflected into the game as we all (players and NPCs) spend our time traveling the map anyway.
It would be great if we had a system of horse messengers:
You could as a player or NPC initiate messages or receive them.
When initiating an actuel member of your party could be selected and (not necessarely a companion) could ride off to the town or village or other noble you want to contact.

That could work with the actual kingdom votes that are already implemented:
give them a longer time frame, and let the king or noble proposing it send actual messengers to reach the different parties on the map. Get a nice parchment screen to read the note and return a answer to the messenger that then gallops off to his sender with your reply... The results would be agregated when a certain number of nobles would have voted for example.

Same that could work with women you're courting and even improve the actual wedding process of getting 5 good answers...

@Ackdam
Okay, so, I've made a few alterations to the edicts as they are in the post.

I'm still working on the idea for a "Curfew" edict as you mentioned, because I really liked it, but I'll leave to post it after its ready, probably already as an image... which I'm also probably gonna consult you before doing it. ?

I leave to edit the post only after I make the images, but I wanted to ask your opinion on what I've written so far and will edit in later to ask what you think.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Holiday Seasons:*
Increase Loyalty's positive modifiers by 30%
Increase Tariff revenue by 25%
Decrease daily production in the fief by 20%
Increase Food's negative modifier due to Population by 20%
Cost: 20 Productivity
-Forbid Immigration:*
Decrease Population positive modifiers by 20%
Decrease Militia positive modifiers by 20%
Increase Security positive modifiers by 10%
Cost: 20 Productivity
-Stimulate Immigration:*
Increase Population positive modifiers by 25%.
Increase Militia positive modifiers by 25%
Increase the negative modifiers in Food by 15%.
Increase Productivity positive modifiers by 20%.
Adds a -10 modifier to Loyalty per day.
Cost: 20 Security, -10 Loyalty
-Stimulate Emmigration:*
Decrease Population and Militia positive modifiers by 25%.
Decrease Population Tax revenue by 20%.
Decrease Militia positive modifiers by 15%
Decrease Productivity positive modifiers by 20%
Adds a -10 modifier to Population per day.
Cost 20 Productivity, 10 Security

-Forced Conscription:*
Increases Militia's positive modifiers by 35%
Increases all of the fief's Recruit's tier by 1 for
every 3 days without being recruited up to tier 3.
Fills empty recruitment slots with tier 1 recruits
every day.
Reduce Productivity positive modifiers by 15%.
Cost: 30 Productivity

-Food Rationing:*
Decrease Food negative modifiers by 40%
Reduces Tax Revenue by 30% due to reduced food purchase.
Decrease Loyalty growth by half.
Decrease Productivity growth by 35%.
Adds a -10 modifier to Security per day.
Cost: 30 Loyalty, 20 Productivity

-Martial Law:*
Makes Militia count as Garrison for Security's
"Garrison" modifier.
Doubles Security positive modifier due to
"Garrison".
Increase Militia's positive modifiers by 30%.
Cuts down Tariff revenue by 20%.
Increase the negative modifier in Food by 30% .
Adds a -10 modifier to Loyalty per day.
Cost: 50 Productivity, 30 Loyalty.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Daily production would change to be calculated as:

Productivity * (%of adults in your population[workforce]) * (nº of villages and workshops) * (any % modifier)

This workforce percentage of the population could possibly also be shown on your town management window, this percentage would vary according to either hidden or show values of % of Children, Adults and Elderly of your local population.

Only adults would work and not all adults would be employed all the time, this % of employed adults would be based on your productivity percentage and a modifier for income and outcome of currency within the fief, looping back, so the higher your productivity, the more people are employed as workforce which raises your daily production.

Ex.: If you have 1000 population being 650 residents and 350 visitors with 50% of adults, 30% children and 20% Elderly, that means your available workforce is 325 people.
Out of these, 325, if your productivity is at 100%, all are working, if it is at 0% you have 100% unemployment. Yet, if your fief is making money or you have been injecting money into it, people will start to have work, daily production is gonna start again and your productivity is gonna start to raise.

Similarly, if you are at 100% productivity but your fief is losing money, which means there is more money flowing out than money flowing in, your unemployment rate is gonna start to raise and your productivity is gonna start to go down after a while if this persists for too long.

Productivity is supposed to be a value from 0 to 100, like Security and Loyalty. That's also why I chose this word ending in "ty".
If productivity is at 100% it means everything is producing at its maximum output, so your daily production is at its highest it can possibly be.
I understand what you're getting at now. Perhaps a different word that won't be so close to Production though. How about Efficiency? You cannot be more than 100% efficient either (they are literally synonyms) and it phonically separates the two words to reduce confusion.

I understand what you're getting at now. Perhaps a different word that won't be so close to Production though. How about Efficiency? You cannot be more than 100% efficient either (they are literally synonyms) and it phonically separates the two words to reduce confusion.
I didn't think of efficiency at first, but does indeed depicts the meaning I intended better.

@Ackdam
Okay, so, I've made a few alterations to the edicts as they are in the post.

I have a bit of homework for you to do. I would like for you to go through the Kingdom Policies that are currently implemented and see how those are set up. These are my observations on what I found there:
  • The percentage modifiers are only employed for a few specific variables, those being:
    • Money (Tax & Tariffs, wages, revenue)
    • Influence gains and losses (in most cases)
    • Cohesion (once)
    • Malitia quantity (once)
    • Production (twice)
  • Most of the modifiers are done as hard numbers:
    • Numbers are all less than 5 unless dealing with money or party size
    • Numbers can go as low as 0.2
    • Hard number values are more common than percentages by far
Taking this into consideration, I'm going to try to adjust your Edicts in a similar manner as I realize that some of the percentage modifiers you have, or even had originally, would hardly cause a dent:

-Holiday Seasons:*
Increase Loyalty gain by 0.3
Increase Tariff revenue by 5%
Daily Production is reduced by 3%
Decrease Food by 0.3

-Forbid Immigration:*
Decrease population growth by 0.3
Decrease militia growth by 0.3
Increase Security by 0.2

-Encourage Immigration:*
Increase Population growth by 1
Increase Militia growth by 0.2
Decrease Food by 1
Increase Productivity by 0.2
Decrease Loyalty gain by 0.2

-Encourage Emigration:*
Decrease Population growth by 0.5
Decrease Militia growth by 0.2
Decrease Population Tax revenue by 0.5
Decrease Productivity gain by 0.3

-Forced Conscription:*
Increases Militia growth by 1
Increases all of the fief's recruitable troops
tier by 1 for every 10 days without being
recruited up to tier 3
Empty Recruitment slots fill 20% faster
Reduce Productivity gain by 2
-Food Rationing:*
Decrease Food by 10
Reduces Tax Revenue by 10%
Decrease Loyalty gain by 2
Decrease Productivity gain by 20%.
Decrease Security by 2
Decrease Population growth by 2
-Martial Law:*
Militia counts toward Security at 1%
Increase Security by 10
Increase Militia growth by 1
Decrease Tariff revenue by 10%.
Decrease the Food by 2
Decrease Loyalty gain by 1
Decrease Productivity gain by 10%
-Curfew:
Increase Security by 2
Decrease Daily Production by 3
Decrease Productivity gain by 5%
Decrease Taxes from tariffs by 5%
Decrease Loyalty by 0.5
Decrease Food by 0.5
Increase Population growth by 0.1

If you need me to explain my reasoning behind any of this further, let me know. Some of my numbers may be a little off due to multitasking at the moment.

Last edited:
I just thought of another aspect that might be fun to implement involving Edicts. Certain Edicts could also have effects on notables in the fiefs. ie:

Martial Law and Curfew could have effects on gang leader relations
Encourage Immigration and Holiday Seasons might improve relations with the traders and have their quests pop up more
Forbid Immigration and Encourage Emigration would be detrimental to your relations with traders and have their quests pop up less

@Ackdam

I'm still gonna edit the images, but I finished making alterations to edicts base values.
I'm gonna add everything to the original post together with the images when I finish them.

I swapped most percentages to flat values, I was looking at a LOT at settlements I owned in two save games to choose fair values and here is the result currently.
I also changed quite a bit the way I was wording, which reduced the size

-Holiday Seasons:
+10% Food consumption*.
+10% Tariff.
-1 Daily Production**.
+1 Loyalty per day.
Cost: 20 Efficiency

-Forbid Immigration:
-2 Militia per day.
-5 Population per day.
+1 Security per day.
Cost: 20 Efficiency
-Stimulate Emigration:
-20% Tax.
-20 Population per day.
-2 Militia per day.
-2 Efficiency per day.
Cost 20 Efficiency, 10 Security

-Stimulate Immigration:
+15% Food Consumption.
+10 Population per day.
+2 Militia per day.
+5 Population per day.
+0.5 Efficiency per day.
-1 Loyalty per day.
Cost: 20 Security, 10 Loyalty

-Forced Conscription:
Fills 2 empty recruitment slots with
tier 1 units every day.
Increase all the fief's Recruit's tier
by 1 after 1*tier week without being
recruited up to tier 4.
-2 Efficiency per day.
+5 Militia per day.
Cost: 30 Efficiency

-Curfew:
-2 Daily Production**.
+2 Security per day.
+5 Population per day.
-5 Efficiency per day.
-5 Loyalty per day.
Cost: 30 Efficiency, 20 Loyalty

-Food Rationing:
-40% Food Consumption*.
-10% Tariff.
-5 Loyalty per day.
-5 Efficiency per day.
-10 Population per day.
-10 Security per day.
Cost: 30 Efficiency, 20 Loyalty

-Martial Law:
Militia counts as Garrison for Security
at 50% the effect.
Double Security's growth***.
-20% Tariff.
+20% Food Consumption.
+5 Militia per day.
-10 Loyalty per day.
Cost: 50 Efficiency, 30 Loyalty.

*Food Consumption: The negative modifier in food due to Population/Prosperity.
**Daily Production: Village and Workshop's Production.
***Growth = Any positive result after the sum of all positive & negative modifiers.

Why I kept Food Consumption as a percetage:
The negative modifier in food due to prosperity, a.k.a. Food Consumption, is 2% of your population(prosperity) so it can go all the way up to values of over -250 food per day and already is a percentage itself.

Why I set -20 to population in Stimulate Emmigration:
In my game, I have a prosperous town with 12831 Prosperity/Population and food production is still positive even with a -255 daily due to its food consumption.
Its population currently grows at a pace of +19. If the negative to population in stimulate emmigration was less than 20, a settlement like that would find it useless as a fix to an overly grown population and its population would never shrink, inevitably still going into a lack of food, only possibly slowing it.
While at at a settlement with net 0 population change per day, -20 would mean about 20 people, which would be close to 5 families of 4 members or 4 families of 5 members moving per day, which is not an absurd value.
This would mean it takes 5 days for 100 people to leave and over 50 days for 1000 which is almost 2 months, so I found 20 to be a sensible value.

Population Negatives:
I felt like impacts to population should be always in rates of 5, which is about 1 family with 2 kids moving away, could also be 5 elderly dying, 5 pregnancies that are stillborn or any combination of those.

Forced Conscription's Tier increase:
I set it to a week to go the midway between that overly short amount of time I had set before and the 10 days, which I think would be too much wait ingame you suggested, as 1 week of intensive training can turn a total amateur in fighting into somewhat decent fighter which would equal roughly a tier 2, I believe.
But I set it to 1*tier to mean that a somewhat decent fighter takes about double the effort to become a truly decent fighter than it takes for a complete amateur to become somewhat decent.
I increased the max tier to 4, as you can indeed find Khuzait Torguud to recruit at times.
This would mean it takes 1 week from tier 1 to 2, 3 weeks from tier 1 to 3 and 6 weeks or one and half months of very intensive training to go from a complete amateur to a really decent fighter from tier 1 to tier 4.

Why I kept 100% of Militia counting toward Security during Martial Law:
The idea is that Militia would be used as extra garrison in keeping the law during Martial Law, so those employed as Militia would receive the same responsabilities and rewards as the garrison during that moment which is also why Militia growth increases significantly.

Last edited:
I just thought of another aspect that might be fun to implement involving Edicts. Certain Edicts could also have effects on notables in the fiefs. ie:

Martial Law and Curfew could have effects on gang leader relations
Encourage Immigration and Holiday Seasons might improve relations with the traders and have their quests pop up more
Forbid Immigration and Encourage Emigration would be detrimental to your relations with traders and have their quests pop up less
I really liked this idea and am also thinking of adding it.
Possibly also making it impossible to enter a city which you are not the ruler nor the owner at night while there is a Curfew or Martial Law in effect and making Taverns and Trade close at night as well during curfews and martial law.

Good reasoning. I still disagree with some things, but ultimately it would be up to those who would be responsible for implementing this.

Why I kept 100% of Militia counting toward Security during Martial Law:
The idea is that Militia would be used as extra garrison in keeping the law during Martial Law, so those employed as Militia would receive the same responsabilities and rewards as the garrison during that moment which is also why Militia growth increases significantly.

My counter explanation as to why I had set a militia's contribution to security lower: My reasoning is that the militia would not be as well-disciplined/trained as the garrison. Thus their attention may wane a bit easier and they may be more prone to leaving their posts or, more generally, slacking off. Furthermore, the security rating is a hard value and as such is rather easy to max out.

My counter explanation as to why I had set a militia's contribution to security lower: My reasoning is that the militia would not be as well-disciplined/trained as the garrison. Thus their attention may wane a bit easier and they may be more prone to leaving their posts or, more generally, slacking off. Furthermore, the security rating is a hard value and as such is rather easy to max out.

Maybe at 50% the effect then? I mean, less than that and it would start to become kind of pointless as it would be too little.

I also believe that Security should fluctuate a bit more and have more effect on the settlement.
Like, too low a security, more thugs would spawn inside settlements and more looters and bandits at bigger groups would spawn roaming the fief.
Also, you should start to lose a % of your tariff profit the lower the security, to mean that bandits and thugs are extorting and stealing money from the population so they are purchasing less.
Similarly, you should lose food, as food is definitely a valuable very prone to being stolen.
And lastly, you should lose population, as people will generally try to make an effort and move to safer places if the place they are currently living in is too dangerous.

Also, hunting bandits and looters inside the fief should give from 1 to 10 Security to that fief depending on the size of the group and if it happens too often, they would start to avoid being inside that territory which would also give a small security modifier per day, like "Safe Roads" when there are very little bandits and looters in the territory.

Lastly, having too low a security should give a BIG negative modifier to loyalty, as people will not be loyal to a government that does not care about their safety.
This would mean that if you don't take care of the security in your fiefs for too long, you might even suffer a rebellion.

Last edited:
Yes, too little would be an issue as well. 50% sounds better.

Possibly also have Security decrease over time in peacetime and/or when the amount of hostiles in the area is low, showing the guards getting complacent nad thus increasing crime in the fief to tie in your ideas with more thugs and theft. Add in a discipline option to whip the garrison back into shape when you visit the fief. Definitely a loyalty tie in there as well.

@Ackdam
After I finish with the images (Which I am kind of procrastinating, I'll admit <.<) I'll try to make an image to swap for the example in-game to make its own interface within the "manage settlement" window.

For that, I'm separating the edicts into categories and I wanted your opinion a bit, as to how I named and separated the categories.
As an english as a second language speaker, even if I do am quite confident at my fluency, I would say my confidence is at most at 85% for very specific things and this is kind of one of them.

Edict Categories:

Migration:
-Forbid Immigration
-Stimulate Emigration
-Stimulate Immigration

Logistics:
-Holiday Seasons
-Food Rationing

Order:
-Forced Conscription
-Curfew
-Martial Law

For each category, you can only have one edict of that category in effect at a time.

I put Holidays and Food Rationing together as "Logistics", unable to have both at the same time, because one consumes Loyalty to save on Food and needs people to work to raise how much Food is available while the other consumes Food to increase Loyalty and provides people with rest, reducing the efficiency of production.

What do you think?

I'm also trying to think up a third Logistics edict that could be useful and would not be able to be up simultaneously to the other two as well so the 3 categories would have 3 possible edicts each, leaving you with a maximum of 3 simultaneous edicts out of 9 existing ones.

The first two look alright. I don't know that I'd put the last three as an either/or though. All three of those seem like they could work on their own or in any combination.

Forced conscription is forcing the peasantry to take up arms.
Martial Law is using the units you already have to more heavily police the fief.
Curfew is simply making the commoners stop working and stay home at a certain time.

The migration makes some sense. And the opposing relationship of the logistics edicts makes a lot of sense. But the older ones more compliment each other than oppose. Instead, it might be better to limit yourself to two extremes in each case and either have a one-or-the-other system or have a slider toward the extremes.

Stimulate Emigration/Stimulate Immigration - could stay the same with emigration insinuating zero immigration, or it could become Stimulate Growth/Deter Growth
Holiday Seasons/Food Rationing - would be fine as is, or change Holiday Seasons to generous feasting
Martial Law could have a pairing of Relaxed Guard
Curfew to Nightly Gatherings (aka going to the pub... tavern... for a drink after work)
Forced Conscription to Swords to Plowshares (military turning over to farming)

It's a lot easier to think of extremes than think of three or more opposing forces.

I was thinking more of multiple dropdown lists, so only one can be selected at a time or maybe checkboxes to allow for multiple to be selected at the same time while checking some, greys a few others to show they can't be on at the same time.
Yet, the idea is that you can also have no edict in place at a time if you wish to, leaving nothing selected and nothing checked.
So it is not a "one or the other" situation, as "none" is also an option.
My first image didn't convey that very well =/

In the case of "Holiday Seasons", I also don't quite like the name very much but it is the thing that best seem to fit in my opinion, as it is focused more on the "Rest" than on the "Food" part of the deal even though it is indeed opposite in nature to "Food Rationing".
What do you think of changing the name from "Holiday Seasons" to "Sabbatical" instead, then?
It literally means only a "a break or change from a normal routine" by definition.
It carries the exact same meaning of "rest" I wanted to convey but unlike a holiday, that would have a pre-defined duration and happen every year on the same date, a sabbatical can be set to happen at any time and have as long a duration as is commanded.

I see. I had originally thought checkboxes as well but thought of sliders and such after you grouped them.

Sabbatical in modern terms is considered a period of time off for an instructor to travel abroad and is usually one year every seven. Originally it was considered a lead up to the sabbath. Perhaps "Bountiful Gatherings", "Social Gatherings" or "Shared Bounty" if you want a counter to food rationing. "Day of Rest" or "Social Repose" if you want to stress a resting period. Or even "Day of Reflection", "Religious Observance" (Since I'm constantly hearing my soldiers praising god) to work in the seemingly religious men who have no issues with cutting down their fellow sentient beings.

I see. I had originally thought checkboxes as well but thought of sliders and such after you grouped them.

Sabbatical in modern terms is considered a period of time off for an instructor to travel abroad and is usually one year every seven. Originally it was considered a lead up to the sabbath. Perhaps "Bountiful Gatherings", "Social Gatherings" or "Shared Bounty" if you want a counter to food rationing. "Day of Rest" or "Social Repose" if you want to stress a resting period. Or even "Day of Reflection", "Religious Observance" (Since I'm constantly hearing my soldiers praising god) to work in the seemingly religious men who have no issues with cutting down their fellow sentient beings.
I think I'll use "Social Repose". What do you think of "Social Quiescence" though? It does have a certain spice to it as well and quiescence is a synonym to repose, but it plays on words as if it is restoring the essence(Loyalty) of the fief, but repose on the other hand sounds kind of fancy and is easier to speak and understand while also being more literally.
I'm more partial to "Repose" yet I thought to ask due to the play on words if you'd find it more fitting.
I could also use the word "Popular" instead of "Social" to play on the meaning that you are regaining Loyalty by raising your popularity while letting people rest.

Last edited:
Quiescence might work, but I'm not sure if I would go with that over Repose. Definitely not Popular though. Popular assumes the majority is excited about something unusual, whereas social could mean that it is nice but more expected than unusual. Social also implies that there is a gathering of people, whereas popular could mean something that is done by each individual on their own. ie: a popular dress as opposed to a social banquet. Ultimately it is up to you as you are putting the whole thing together, and that could just be me holding on to my own thoughts, so go with what you like most.

Back
Top Bottom